Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

Duke MBB v. Barton College - In-Game and Post-Game Thread

Post your in-game and post-game comments here!
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

We just couldn't hit a shot the first 11 minutes or so. Though BC's energy was perhaps a part of it, partly we might have had too much energy, too. I like that we scored 85 pts the last 27 minutes of the game though, if we could have fixed the first quarter we could prob add 20 pts for another 80 pt win.

We started slowly, as we did many times last year. I will be interested in the box score, we cannot have hit very threes.
    Singler was great, he can do a lot of things. King made a few good plays, but nothing really exciting. Smith quietly scored some points. He can break down opposing guards almost at will. Singler, Smith and Scheyer seem to be at the right place at the right time -- although Scheyer couldn't hit much of anything. Henderson made some good plays, although I expected more. Nelson looked OK, but missed one or inside shots (shades of last year!) He has obviously worked on his free throws.
    All in all, TGFF -- Thank God for freshmen!

We started very slowly, jacking up bricks for about 11 minutes in the first half.Coach K was furious at one point. Singler then took over the game and led a strong comeback (can't believe I am using this word). We never looked back in the second half.

Some observations:
    1. Kyle Singler----What's not to love? He is already the best player in the team and a star on the rise. And he has obviously won over the fans. Much has been said about Singler. The man was everywhere, defending, stealing, shooting, rebounding. It could not been more obvious that he was the leader during our comeback. By the time we dominated the game (early in the second half), he already had 27 points (BC had 29 points at that time). But the best thing I like about Singler is that there's this relaxing, calming thing about him. In the future when we will be facing real test, I hope this quality could be helpful.

2. Greg Paulus----One thing I didn't like was that Greg allowed his frustration to be seen on his face, especially when he quickly accumulated couple of fouls. After all that he experienced last year, I expected him to be much more mature. At one point at the sideline, I didn't think Coach K was very happy.

3. Jon Schyer----I don't like the Henderson-Schyer debate at all. They are completely different types. Schyer may be in a shooting slump. It is the 3rd game now that he failed to shoot well. But other than that, he played very well. Solid defense, multiple excellent steals, and was always somewhere he should be at. And penetrated successfully couple times. However, he may be in trouble in real tests if he can't find his long-range touch.

4. Too many empty seats. And this is a Saturday. The crowd was basicly reacting to what was happening on the court, instead of always chearing and encouraging our team. During the first 10 minutes, the crowd was pretty quiet. I really didn't like it and tried to lead some chants but failed. The crazies need to understand that, it is when the team's in trouble that we are most needed. True Royal fans should be even more supportive when the team is lagging behind.

All in all, good game.

We missed a lot of open shots - those shots will start dropping. Defense was stellar all throughout. Barton scored about .82 points per possession on NC State (who played their main guys most of the game) and they scored .58 on Duke. Defense is looking stifling. 44 steals in 2 games.

Offense took awhile to get going but looked fine. Smith looks solid - I thought Paulus looked good despite a statistically subpar game. I also think Singler is a great finisher, and I love him and he's my favorite player already, but I think we are coronating him a little early. A lot of his baskets have been because other guys found him in a position to score. It's great teamplay.

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    During the first 10 minutes, the crowd was pretty quiet. I really didn't like it and tried to lead some chants but failed. The crazies need to understand that, it is when the team's in trouble that we are most needed. True Royal fans should be even more supportive when the team is lagging behind.
    Completely agree, but over half of the people in the student section were parents since this was the parent weekend game. When the season starts this better not and will not slide.

Quote Originally Posted by LetItBD08 View Post
    Completely agree, but over half of the people in the student section were parents since this was the parent weekend game. When the season starts this better not and will not slide.
    I thought some of those "students" looked a wee bit old -- but it is tough to graduate from Duke, and may take a few extra years!

I wish it took a few extra years (minus that whole tuition thing).

Oh, and the new speaker system was wonderful! Thank God that they finally made this change. And then central monitor (?) flashed "100!" when we scored 101. I could tell that many little things are being done to give Cameron atmosphere an extra boost. Keep it up!

The stands were full of parents though

Paulus and Thomas didn't have the best games offensively, but Lance only took a couple of shots. Paulus played like he had the flu. Smith, Singler and Henderson were awesome.

That second half was impressive. Two impressive exhibition wins. I know that comparing scores is frowned upon, but UNC is up only 16 on Shaw early in the second half. This is as good a start to the preseason as we could hope!

An important stat is that 10 of 12 players tallied double digit minutes. This results in a lot of different line-up combinations allowing the staff to evaluate what is and isn't working. There are many positive take aways from the two exhibition games, but in the final analysis they don't count for a reason. I'm excited the season is upon us and optimistic that this will be an enjoyable season.
    Bob Green

How did NCSU do against Barton? Also I didn't see many empty seats, Cameron seemed pretty full due to parents weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    How did NCSU do against Barton? Also I didn't see many empty seats, Cameron seemed pretty full due to parents weekend.
    I think NCSU vs BC was 9x:5x, I could be wrong though.
    I was standing in the graduate student section. The upper seats opposite of our stand was like half empty in the 2nd half. Student section was fuller than in the Shaw game, and probably due to parent weekend as many has pointed out. Anyways, when the season starts, Cameron will be packed again.

I was in section 10 right under the championship banners, I didn't see a lot of empty seats from my vantage point. A lot of people did come in after the game started and a lot of people left with like 5 minutes left in the game. Whats up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    How did NCSU do against Barton?
    State 94 - Barton College 57
    Bob Green

Three point shooting

The uptempo play seems to be affecting our three point shooting- we shot 28.6% (8-28) in the Shaw exhibition and 22.2% (6-27) vs. Barton. As K said in his Shaw post-game comments, the shooters aren't setting their feet before shooting and are rushing their shots. Obviously doesn't have any effect in games against vastly inferior opponents, but hopefully Scheyer, Paulus, Nelson, King, and Pocius will find their touches as the season progresses. At least the free throw shooting has been good (77.8% and 79.4%).

We scored 50 points, nearly half our total, on turnovers vs. Barton, so apparently we didn't have to run too many plays. Did we play much zone against Barton?

Quote Originally Posted by Waynne View Post
    Did we play much zone against Barton?
    I don't think we played any zone.

Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post

4. Too many empty seats. And this is a Saturday. The crowd was basicly reacting to what was happening on the court, instead of always chearing and encouraging our team. During the first 10 minutes, the crowd was pretty quiet. I really didn't like it and tried to lead some chants but failed. The crazies need to understand that, it is when the team's in trouble that we are most needed. True Royal fans should be even more supportive when the team is lagging behind.

All in all, good game.
    Attendance was bad tonight due to a cultural show at school. 1500 people, mix of students/parents were at it. Hopefully this lack of attendance won't happen again.