Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    ...I'm not sure why the NC %age is what it is, but if I had to guess, I would say it would either be:
    1. in the charter of the university,
    2. some sort of stipulation having to do with the endowment, or
    3. something to do with funding Duke receives from the state of NC.*

*I know when I attended, Duke got a few grand of tax revenues from the state for me every year, essentially because my parents paid into the NC University system for all those years, and since I stayed in state but went to Duke, Duke got that allotment. I don't know the details of the arrangement or how it works, but I do know if you are a NC student and you go to Duke, the state of NC pays a small portion of your tuition.

I am guessing Duke maintains a makeup of local students in order to perpetuate one of the above tenants, and doubt it has anything to do with their historical ties to the Methodist conferences.
    If there's any state-funded subsidy to Duke for North Carolina residents, I've never heard of it, and it certainly didn't exist when I came to Duke from a small North Carolina high school. I can't confirm it, but I've always understood that the Duke Indenture contained some language on which the slight measure of preferential admission for North Carolina residents was based. I recall that there are a substantial number of partial scholarships that have been created over the years, mostly by various family foundations, awarding funds to residents of North Carolina, and in some cases residents from certain counties.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Stray,

Thanks for the clarification. I had lumped GPA/class rank together and forgot/omitted letters of recommendation. We did not take notes on that visit to Duke(my wife reviewed all of our 'data' and reminded me of that oversight). Good to see you yesterday. Hope you enjoyed the 2 scrimmages and that they provided much more pleasant memories for you trip than your visit to WW did.
    It was good to see you, too, DevilDeac. And I'm looking forward to more "halftime huddles" in Cameron during what promises to be a very entertaining season.

legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    If there's any state-funded subsidy to Duke for North Carolina residents, I've never heard of it, and it certainly didn't exist when I came to Duke from a small North Carolina high school. I can't confirm it, but I've always understood that the Duke Indenture contained some language on which the slight measure of preferential admission for North Carolina residents was based. I recall that there are a substantial number of partial scholarships that have been created over the years, mostly by various family foundations, awarding funds to residents of North Carolina, and in some cases residents from certain counties.
    Not sure if there is a subsidy per se, but we received $1800/yr recently for our son at Duke as a North Carolina tuition grant and it was bumped all the way up to $1900/yr for our daughter who just started at Duke in August. It is an allowance for NC residents who attend private universities in NC but I am not sure how many other schools are included.

Not sure if there is a subsidy per se, but we received $1800/yr recently for our son at Duke as a North Carolina tuition grant and it was bumped all the way up to $1900/yr for our daughter who just started at Duke in August. It is an allowance for NC residents who attend private universities in NC but I am not sure how many other schools are included.
    Thanks for the info. Too bad they didn't provide that benefit 40 years ago. Of course, back then, it would have amounted to a full tuition grant.

Thanks for the info. Too bad they didn't provide that benefit 40 years ago. Of course, back then, it would have amounted to a full tuition grant.
    It's been around for at least 20 years. It's called the North Carolina Legislative Tuition Grant (NCLTG) if you want to google it.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    To which Conadian system do you refer?
    The Canadian univeristy system. Or, more accurately, the admissions process in the Canadian university system.

Not sure if there is a subsidy per se, but we received $1800/yr recently for our son at Duke as a North Carolina tuition grant and it was bumped all the way up to $1900/yr for our daughter who just started at Duke in August.
    Your school year starts in August?!?

Highlander is correct, there is some sort of state grant for NC residents that attend private, in state colleges (Duke, Wake, Davidson, Elon...) When I was there, c/o 2001, it was about $1000/year (or maybe semester, can't remember).

I also suspect that most schools have a high percent of students from a geographically close region (in state, for example). I don't have any data to back this up though.

legacy

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Your school year starts in August?!?
    Yes. 1st year students generally move in around August 20-21 and have several days of orientation. Other students re-appear around August 23-24 and classes generally start August 25-26. Duke usually finishes fall semester finals around December 15 and spring finals the 1st week of May.

US News and World Report

I agree it would probably be Wash U in St. Louis who were/are notorious for gaming the system. Merit aid has exploded in recent years in no small part as an attempt by some schools to move up the rankings. There are even consultants who run complicated programs for schools on how to allocate merit money to get the most movement up the rankings for a given amount of money. (ie a quarter scholarship for a merit semifinalist with 2150 SAT). It really is pretty ridiculous but no one except Reed College in Oregon wants to unilaterally disarm.

Sounds like the Reed folks have courage to refuse to take part in an intellectual farce, and the school is worthy of a look just on that account.

This is a smart move by the state of NC

It actually saves the state money. That $1800 is far elss than what it would cost the state if that same student who is going to Elon, Duke, Peace, Lenior-Rhyne, etc. went to a state school.

I saw some document circa me (1994-98) that said 70% of early decision legacy kids got in at that time.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Yes. 1st year students generally move in around August 20-21 and have several days of orientation. Other students re-appear around August 23-24 and classes generally start August 25-26. Duke usually finishes fall semester finals around December 15 and spring finals the 1st week of May.
    We end around the same time. Our fall semester ends 3 December this year and then there are final exams. Our winter semester ends in April and then there are final exams after that. But we don't start in the fall until after Labour Day. Sometimes we can start as late as the 10th.

We're all very impressed with your method of doing things, Colchar. We get it, Canada's awesome and we suck.

That said, I'm certain I would not get into Duke if I applied in 2007 instead of 1993.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Yeah Reed

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/20051...llege-rankings

Here is an interesting link an article written by the president of Reed.

Ncltg

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    It actually saves the state money. That $1800 is far elss than what it would cost the state if that same student who is going to Elon, Duke, Peace, Lenior-Rhyne, etc. went to a state school.
    Good point. I thought I had also read in years past that the cronies in the NC house/senate wanted to eliminate this completely as they did not want to 'subsidize' the education of those students who chose to attend Duke, WFU, Davidson, etc.

Casey and Shav

This is fun stuff. I have been Casey and Shav all in the space of about 24 hrs. WOO-HOO

back to the bench

Drat, shoulda not posted for a while and enjoyed my Shav status.

legacy admits

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I saw some document circa me (1994-98) that said 70% of early decision legacy kids got in at that time.
    IIRC, when my son applied in 2002 and daughter applied in 2006, the ED legacy admit rate was about 40-50% and the general ED admit rate was 25-30% or about half the legacy rate. If/when they become part of the general admit pool, those figures drop further as the #'s go WAY up then from perhaps about 1200 ED apps to the 19,xxx they had for the class of 2011.