View Poll Results: Which of these is your favorite Duke player?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grant Hill

105 55.26%
  • Christian Laettner

85 44.74%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Favorite Player Poll Final 8- Grant Hill vs. Laettner

Our final quarter-final poll is a matchup of teammates who each have 2 rings. #2 seed all-around stud Grant Hill against the all-time clutch player Christian Laettner.

Like yesterday, I urge you to please DO NOT VOTE YET!!! Take some time to think about it, read the posts in this thread from people trying to persuade you one way or another and then vote.

--Jason "I know we all love Grant, but DAMN, how can you vote against Christian?!?!" Evans

Hi,

This one is even easier for me... Grant.

Christian would be my vote for best Duke player BUT one of my least favorite.

-Jeffrey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-iq58_oz4

Does anything more really need to be said?

If we can only choose one, how do we beat Kentucky?

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post

Ummm, are you voting for the guy who threw the perfect pass or the guy who took the perfect shot?

--Jason "these dudes are linked in history... fitting they should face each other in this poll" Evans

The guy who had the perfect game. 10-10 from the floor (including a three), 10-10 from the line, and the clutch game winning shot at the buzzer. The pass was great, but what Laettner did with the Rock after he caught it was the stuff dreams are made of.

Hi,

Yes. I would like to see the video of placing foot on opponent's chest while he is down.

-Jeffrey

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Hi,

Yes. I would like to see the video of placing foot on opponent's chest while he is down.

-Jeffrey
    That was just a love tap. What, are you from Kentucky?
    Last edited by toughbuff1; 11-02-2007 at 10:43 AM. Reason: I was trying to add a winky emoticon but I screwed that up somehow

That was just a love tap. What, are you from Kentucky?
    Hi,

I am proud to say that I have never even been to that state! Do they play hoops there?

-Jeffrey

Smile

I'm not sure, but I heard their BBQ sucks.

I'm not sure, but I heard their BBQ sucks.
    Hi,

Well, then there is obviously no reason to ever go there.

-Jeffrey

Speaking of videos of the most famous play in college hoops history... have any of ya'll seen Chris Farley's take on that play?

-Jason "the uniform fits him perfectly " Evans

By the way, this youtube clip has video of the "stomp." As an aside, I think the stomp makes me more likely to vote for Christian, not less likely

This only makes things tougher! Two great plays were made here. The pass (G. Hill) and the shot (C. Laettner).

I went with Laettner though. He's just an interesting human being - not that Grant's not.

-EarlJam

The guy who had the perfect game. 10-10 from the floor (including a three), 10-10 from the line, and the clutch game winning shot at the buzzer. The pass was great, but what Laettner did with the Rock after he caught it was the stuff dreams are made of.
    I didn't see Jason's post reflecting my point until after I posted. Sorry. Overall though, I have to agree with your point above. Those stats are just ridiculous.

-EarlJam

I like Grant Hill an awful lot, but Christian Laettner was always my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    By the way, this youtube clip As an aside, I think the stomp makes me more likely to vote for Christian, not less likely
    Yep, agreed.

Mr. Laettner was and is more bad-a** than Nate could be in a thousand lifetimes. Grant couldn't be bad-a** if he took lessons from both of them.

My vote goes to Laettner, one of the most understood and misunderstood players in the history of basketball. Like it or not, he's the guy you want on the court when the chips are down. You can't admit that, go to the back of the line. If all Duke players had his attitude we would win every title there was to win. There are other ways to win, but Christian Laettner gets the last laugh if you want to disagree with his way. No arguments, please! (Sorry, got a little carried away there!)

Grant is one my heroes, did (and does) it all, with class. Too bad these two had to meet in this poll this early.

Noon returns--

It is 20-20 so far. Folks, this one is gonna be a barn-burner!

-Jason

After rooting mightily for JD, I spent last night regretting not doing the same for Bobby.

So I went to the internet for today's vote. From dictionary.com:

fa·vor·ite
    –noun 1. a person or thing regarded with special favor or preference: That song is an old favorite of mine.
    2. Sports. a competitor considered likely to win.
    3. a person or thing popular with the public.
    4. a person treated with special or undue favor by a king, official, etc.: favorites at the court.

Going from the reverse:
    4. While in college, Christian was treated as special by a gazillion teenage girls and boys. Okay, he was vilified as well, but he incited the masses.

Grant was treated as special since birth. His parents were royalty (Yale to All Pro football /Wellesley with Hillary), and, when they couldn't decide on a name, Roger Staubach told Calvin that his wish had been granted so name him Grant. Advantage Hill.

3. Popular? Laettner's more famous, but Grant's more popular. Advantage: Hill.

2. Competitor, Likely to win? Both are fierce, but the throw is at least as difficult as the catch/shot, and Hill has kept his hand in the NBA game despite ongoing surgeries and pain. I'll call it a draw--no points awarded.

1. Special favor? I feel more warm and fuzzy towards Grant. Advantage: Hill.

So, my preliminary vote is unanimous for Grant.

But... the definition doesn't include variables such as who's scarier, who taunted the public with pseudohomosexuality by walking hand-n-hand with Bryan Davis, who stomped on chests, who had to endure a locker room cheerup session from Richard Nixon after he missed the free throws at the Meadlowlands (that's my theory about why he became so clutch), and it doesn't ask who would you want at your side in a streetfight or who you would want to look back and recall as your teammate even though you might hate him during practice or who would be most likely to do anything to win.

It also doesn't include anything about which person is the poster boy of all things Duke, positive and negative.

So despite misgivings and a unanimous vote the other way, Go Christian!