Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have two tatoos that I obtained between 25-28 years ago. But I have an excuse, I was drunk on my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. in Hong Kong. I think the ol' saying goes, "A Sailor and his money soon part ways."

I wouldn't get another one. Besides there is a significant health risk associated with tatoos. If one is going to get infected with a serious disease, you may as well catch it from a girl.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    I've got enough physical identifying qualities through natural processes to actively seek out more by artificial methods.
    Yes, my tattoos(scars) are clear testaments to my momentary lapses in judgment. Don't need ink and a needle to commemorate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    If one is going to get infected with a serious disease, you may as well catch it from a girl.
    A girl with a tattoo? People are entitled to do whatever they please, my personal preferences run to the natural state.

Besides there is a significant health risk associated with tatoos. If one is going to get infected with a serious disease, you may as well catch it from a girl.
    FWIW, my tattoo came from a place in the Village that is certified by the NYC Dept. of Health. That status is conferred only in accordance with a set of guidelines designed to stave off particular infections. To the best of my knowledge, it is a legitimate, useful process.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    FWIW, my tattoo came from a place in the Village that is certified by the NYC Dept. of Health. That status is conferred only in accordance with a set of guidelines designed to stave off particular infections. To the best of my knowledge, it is a legitimate, useful process.
    First off, my post was tongue-in-cheek. I was attempting to be funny. Humor, like sarcasm, often falls flat on a message board. Tatoo Parlors have went to great lengths to comply with health regulations (even in Hong Kong).
    Bob Green

First off, my post was tongue-in-cheek. I was attempting to be funny. Humor, like sarcasm, often falls flat on a message board. Tatoo Parlors have went to great lengths to comply with health regulations (even in Hong Kong).
    Gotcha. At any rate, it never hurts to rehearse my response to my mother/grandmother/aunt/prospective employer.

I don't really have a problem...

with what people want to do to express themselves. Am I a fan of tons of piercings and tattoos? They're okay if done well. Would I date somebody with them? I have, but not anymore. Not really my preference. I dated a girl in high school who had a gorgeous chinese dragon that twisted around her back several times, done in black and gold and red and green. It started at her neck and ended up at her butt. It took her over a year to get it. Her mother gave her permission, as it was some sort of special tribute to her family and her chinese heritage. I thought it was pretty darn cool then. Probably wouldn't be a big fan now, except in the appreciation of nice art department.

That being said, my wife has a very cute little rose tattoo high on the front of her hip in a place that no one will see unless she wants them to. It's also a spot where your body doesn't change too much over time, so it PROBABLY won't get stretched/shrunk/faded into something hideous. She got it in a moment of elation over getting out of her abusive first marriage. It means a lot to her, and to me too.

I have a tattoo as well. When we were dating but pretty sure it was going the distance, I got a honey bee in the mirrored spot to her tattoo as a gift to her. It was a subtle tribute to her without putting the relationship cursing name on my body. We joke the matching tattoos have contributed to our, um, fertility, so to speak (two kids, one on the way, never took more than a month to get pregnant when we decided to). You know, bees fertilizing flowers and all that. Anyway, we like them.

A close friend of mine has a pink ribbon, name and date tattooed on her butt. She's not a tattoo person at all, but she's 24 and couldn't think of a better way to commemorate her mother, who died of breast cancer a couple years ago. The pain of the tattoo was somewhat cathartic to her in her time of emotional pain. I certainly don't begrudge her that.

So, anyway, I'm not a big tattoo/piercing person, but I certainly don't judge people for getting them. To each their own.

-Joe

My tattoo is a bad-^$%^$%^$% Blue Devil, and I love it!
    No soup for you!