Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chick Flicks

Chick flixs: Breakfast Club, Dirty Dancing, Thelma & Louise, Grease

Guy flixs: True Lies, Die Hard, Terminator, Godfather, Shawshank.

Great flixs: Some Like It Hot, Brother Orchid, Bringing Up Baby, Yankee Doodle Dandy, North by Northwest (and other Hitchcock classics), Citizen Kane, etc. It would be interesting to have a thread (...although I bet there have been many in the past) to list a few of one's all time favorites -- especially those NOT in the top 10 of AFI.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    How about The Truth About Cats and Dogs, where mousy Janeane Garofalo walks off into the sunset with hunk Ben Chaplin?
    You know, not a bad example, but still, is Janeane Garofalo the female equivalent of Seth Rogan in attractiveness? Is she even close?

I do think it's impossible for a truly unattractive person to make it in the movies, you've got to have that extra something that makes you interesting to watch. I'm sure Seth Rogan has that quality. It's why productions of Jane Eyre never quite work because there just aren't any 'plain' actresses. But I want to watch you and I want to watch you fall in love are two different categories. I've seen Seth Rogan interviewed and I do think I will eventually get around to seeing SuperBad (I've got the title right I think) but I don't want to watch him get the girl. I've never wanted to watch Ben Stiller get the girl either (There's Something About Mary was a huge disappointment for me). I really think Mystery Men could have been a comedy classic if we hadn't gotten bogged down with Ben Stiller and the waitress. Now c'mon, Janeane Garofalo was kind of hot as The Bowler, wasn't she?

Argh, Mystery Men, I get bummed just thinking about it. There are a few films out there that I know I could have made better if they'd given me the script to retool. That's one of them, Ghost Rider is another.

ETA: Cherokee Parks at 230, just in case anyone is still keeping track.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I've seen Seth Rogan interviewed and I do think I will eventually get around to seeing SuperBad .
    Watch Apatow's amazing show Freaks and Geeks. Seth Rogen's character, Ken, had some of the best lines in the show. The best show ever to be cancelled after just one season!

I did watch Freaks and Geeks. I liked it, a lot. Doesn't change my advance opinion of Knocked Up. Some movies you just know you don't want to see because of the trailer, this is one of them, no matter how good everyone else says it is.

Is Princess Bride a chick flick? It has a lot of sappy romance in it. However, it may be the most quotable move of all-time as well, and a pirate. And some swordplay. Verdict?

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Is Princess Bride a chick flick? It has a lot of sappy romance in it. However, it may be the most quotable move of all-time as well, and a pirate. And some swordplay. Verdict?
    An old coworker (and friend) of mine, from the Gothic Bookshop in the Bryan Center actually, was a film major. She maintained, from a sound theoretical standpoint in her field, that this was the most perfect movie ever made.
    On the other hand, she was a kuralonna grad. But she was of the totally innocuous sort...could not have cared less about sports of any kind.

Clint, say it wasn't so.

I was dragged, kicking and moaning, into the theatre to be witness to the awfulness that is The Bridges of Madison County. I ran kicking and moaning, as fast as I could, to get back out to the parking lot and escape back home as soon as the first credit line came onscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Watch Apatow's amazing show Freaks and Geeks. Seth Rogen's character, Ken, had some of the best lines in the show. The best show ever to be cancelled after just one season!
    I haven't seen the show, but I call a challenge. Firefly is one of the best shows EVER in my opinion, and it didn't even get to air for the whole first season.

I am interested in seeing Freaks and Geeks, though. I vaguely recall its existence and have heard good things since.

exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Best. Fight. Scene. Ever.

"Why are you smiling."
    "I know something you do not know."
    "What's that?"
    "I am not left handed either."

Certainly not a chick flick. Possibly a perfect movie.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    I was dragged, kicking and moaning, into the theatre to be witness to the awfulness that is The Bridges of Madison County. I ran kicking and moaning, as fast as I could, to get back out to the parking lot and escape back home as soon as the first credit line came onscreen.
    Just remember, captmojo, that craptastic book was written by a man. The movie, if you can believe it, is actually better than the book, probably because they put this lame, lame material into the hands of some excellent actors.

I will never see Knocked Up, no matter how many people tell me how great it is, until we see a movie about the female verson of Seth Rogan getting the hot guy. Really, the female version, not just a hot chick in glasses. I can't buy Katherine Heigl sleeping with that guy, no matter how drunk she is, she'd have to have been drunk enough to pass out which would make the whole thing criminal.
    Um, did we go to the same Duke? Never have I seen a place where female 10's hooked up with male 5's on a such a regular basis (and the male 10's meanwhile went unnoticed!?!?!)

That having been said (and I was joking - slightly) I definitely agree with your assessment of the movies - especially love actually and the ya'ya's.

I will have to add that your assessment of Liam Neeson in Rob Roy is why I think that every Mel Gibson movie in which you get a gratuitous shot of Mel from the backside is actually a chick flick. Hence Lethal Weapon (I am blanking on which particular one in the series, and it might actually be all of them) = chick flick.

You know, not a bad example, but still, is Janeane Garofalo the female equivalent of Seth Rogan in attractiveness? Is she even close?
    To answer your question, yes, Janeane Garofalo is the female equivalent of Seth Rogen in attractiveness.