Al Featherston is Awesome

I just wanted to acknowledge how much I love reading Al's columns and to say thank you for allowing DBR to post them.

By the way, there is a similar story to the Brian Magid story with Dennis Scott in 1990 (I think). He was putting on an astonishing pre-game shooting performance and the crowd was egging him on to move back, which he did and he kep making shots. Finally, playing to the crowd, with his hand to his ear, he moved back to half court and nailed the shot. Outside of JJ, he was the best shooter I've seen in the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I just wanted to acknowledge how much I love reading Al's columns and to say thank you for allowing DBR to post them.

By the way, there is a similar story to the Brian Magid story with Dennis Scott in 1990 (I think). He was putting on an astonishing pre-game shooting performance and the crowd was egging him on to move back, which he did and he kep making shots. Finally, playing to the crowd, with his hand to his ear, he moved back to half court and nailed the shot. Outside of JJ, he was the best shooter I've seen in the ACC.
    Don't forget the Dennis Scott Twinkie episode. Someone who remembers the particulars exactly should recount them here. But as I remember it, someone threw a Twinkie on the floor for Dennis Scott (making fun of his weight issues), and Scott ate it!

kudos

Thank you Al Featherson for EVERYTHING I have the priviledge to read on DBR. You are a blessing and most appreciated. Againk many thanks!

ACC Team Reviews

Web site, theACC.com, is linked by DBR and is providing reviews of the 12 ACC basketball teams. Four previews have been done to date and all have been written by Al. Not only is he a good writer but he has a good eye for college basketball teams/players and a historical sense of the conference. They are worth reading.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    Web site, theACC.com, is linked by DBR and is providing reviews of the 12 ACC basketball teams. Four previews have been done to date and all have been written by Al. Not only is he a good writer but he has a good eye for college basketball teams/players and a historical sense of the conference. They are worth reading.

gw67
    He seems to be doing them in reverse alphabetical order though I could not initially tell when he did Wake and VA tech.

I was not even sure but had my doubts that UVA would be 10th in conference but pretty confident NC State is not 9th this year.

I was kind of surprised he hardly mentioned JJ Hickson though, if at all. Very interesting how he started out with the strong NC State PG alumni.

I agree that it appears that he is doing them in reverse alphabetical order. Personally, I like his relaxed style of writing.

After reading the pre-season summaries, it appears that most figure that it will be UNC, Duke and N.C.State at the top with Clemson close behind and then the the remaining eight teams in various order.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    I agree that it appears that he is doing them in reverse alphabetical order. Personally, I like his relaxed style of writing.

After reading the pre-season summaries, it appears that most figure that it will be UNC, Duke and N.C.State at the top with Clemson close behind and then the the remaining eight teams in various order.

gw67
    I run a little against the grain on ACC top half, same top three, but then I have GA Tech (4) and Miami (5) ahead of Clemson (6), assuming they do not all tie for 4-6, with MD 7 and then who knows whether Singletary or Rice can virtually single handedly move their teams above the more balanced FSU with VA Tech and Wake bringing up the rear.

I agree 2-6 seems to be a battle in Duke's case because of no proven post presence and in NC State, GA Tech,Miami and Clemson case because of unproven PGs but otherwise solid returning nucleus.

MD despite having great players in Gist and Vasquez seems a couple players short unless Gary Williams pulls some more tricks out of unheralded recruits that perform in their first season.

After the top three teams, it is anyone's guess, IMO. Clemson is generally considered the 4th best team but they don't shoot straight and can't win on the road. They do have a load of experience, a solid frontcourt and a pretty good coach, IMO, so maybe they hang in there. Georgia Tech was more talented last year but Hewitt was only able to get them to 8-8 so I have my suspicions about them this year. Miami is the darling of the contrarians. I haven't seen them play very much the past few seasons but it seems that each time I watch them they kick the Terps upside the head so maybe they will surprise. I still think Maryland will wind up in 6-8th place. They have three good players, one effort guy (Osby) and seven players who have little or no experience. I see them as offensively challenged unless some of their inexperienced players come through to support Gist, Vasquez and Hayes.

gw67