Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

A TOAST to the Grammar Police!

I dedicate the following to the aggressive **Grammar Police on this board:

O lny srmat poelpe can raed tihs.
    I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was r danieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs psas it on !!

-EarlJam

**Disclaimer - EarlJam completely understands, truly appreciates and takes no offense at the grammar policing that goes on at DBR. EarlJam is always in need of a good proofreader, as details are not his strength. EarlJam just saw this and thought immediately of the DBR Grammar Cops.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was r danieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs psas it on !!

-EarlJam

**Disclaimer - EarlJam completely understands, truly appreciates and takes no offense at the grammar policing that goes on at DBR. EarlJam is always in need of a good proofreader, as details are not his strength. EarlJam just saw this and thought immediately of the DBR Grammar Cops.
    To: The Grammar Police

We're not as dumb as you think we is!

Signed,

Shammrog and EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    To: The Grammar Police

We're not as dumb as you think we is!

Signed,

Shammrog and EarlJam
    Yeah! I here you and Aman to that!

Seriously, one of the many words I commonly misspell is...."Grammar." I think I have rectumfied this situation but for the longest time, I would spell it, "Grammer."

-EARL..........JAM

Fcuk, that's amazing.

-EarlJam

I saw this a couple years ago - still think it's great.

However, a real toast goes out to the grammar police on the most recent episode of The Office - "whoever" vs. "whomever", whee!

-EarlJam

As a grammar officer of long standing and distinguished service, I resemble this remark.

Yeah! I here you and Aman to that!

Seriously, one of the many words I commonly misspell is...."Grammar." I think I have rectumfied this situation but for the longest time, I would spell it, "Grammer."

-EARL..........JAM
    Misspelling is another word that is mispelled allot, along with grammer. Its not that hard two take the time end get it's correct spelling, weather or not your to busy. I wish they're was a more polite way of telling people that their spelling things incorrectly, then pointing it out in an asinine post, but some times its necessary, even if I feel badly about it. I'm not sure if the casualty of the bored may be the reason words are continuously mispelled, but I do no it makes me want too kick them in the prostrate.

There, according to Firefox, I only have two misspelled words in the entire paragraph! Fore some reason know I'm hungry for some deserts through...

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    it makes me want too kick them in the prostrate.
    Yeah, you and Andy Sipowicz. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...&ct=image&cd=2
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Wow, that's so cool how easy it is to read.

Misspelling is another word that is mispelled allot, along with grammer. Its not that hard two take the time end get it's correct spelling, weather or not your to busy. I wish they're was a more polite way of telling people that their spelling things incorrectly, then pointing it out in an asinine post, but some times its necessary, even if I feel badly about it. I'm not sure if the casualty of the bored may be the reason words are continuously mispelled, but I do no it makes me want too kick them in the prostrate.

There, according to Firefox, I only have two misspelled words in the entire paragraph! Fore some reason know I'm hungry for some deserts through...
    Wow, that made me twitch so much! I don't claim to be a good speller, but grammar mistakes like those really get to me.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by BluDevilGal View Post
    Wow, that made me twitch so much! I don't claim to be a good speller, but grammar mistakes like those really get to me.
    The one that truly, and I do mean truly, drives me to distraction is the saying "I could care less." I want to claw out the eyes of everyone I hear saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    The one that truly, and I do mean truly, drives me to distraction is the saying "I could care less." I want to claw out the eyes of everyone I hear saying that.
    Agreed on that one.

This reminds me of a good line I heard while watching The 40-Year-Old-Virgin the other day: "I'd rather fcuk shards of glass!"

-EarlJam

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but this only works because the first and last letters of every word are correct to the intended spelling of the word.

If the letters were in fact distributed randomly within the word, this would be much less intelligible.

Shouldn't it be "A TSOAT to the Grammar Police"?

Somewhere, Jumbo is writhing in pain.

Just for fun, by the rules of this idea, a snip of Al Featherston, DBR, 10/29/07 (as interpreted by this site):

At hlfaimte, mkie kerszkzwyi took the mpnohocrie and tkeald to the cowrd aubot the taem. He was pnmipug up the ceaizrs and ecionurngag the sedtutns to mkae a cmemntmoit of sropupt to tihs taem. In the curose of his seceph, his etuhssanim for tihs dkue taem cmae toghurh.

From Cambridge, a rather interesting discussion of the whole thing.

Clive Tooth has found what may be most ambiguous jumbled sentence (using words like "salt" which becomes "slat" when transposed)

"The sprehas had ponits and patles"

This might come out as...

The sherpas had pitons and plates.
    The shapers had points and pleats.
    The seraphs had pintos and petals.
    The sphaers had pinots and palets.
    The sphears had potins and peltas.

Clive lists some of the more obscure words in this set of possible readings:

palets: paleae (a part of a grass flower)
    peltas: shields
    pinots: grapes
    potins: copper alloys
    sphaers, sphears: both old form of 'spheres'
    -jk

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Not to burst anyone's bubble, but this only works because the first and last letters of every word are correct to the intended spelling of the word.

If the letters were in fact distributed randomly within the word, this would be much less intelligible.
    I don't think anyone's bubble was burst - the message also says this in the middle of it:

"the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it"

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I don't think anyone's bubble was burst - the message also says this in the middle of it:

"the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it"
    D'oh! My bad...

From -jk's post, I want that Clive Tooth guy on my Scrabble team! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Oh FINALLY! A kindred spirit!
    In second place comes "I feel badly". And a close third is "This food is healthy"!
    I doubt many folks would have eyes left if the grammar police ever turned me loose.

Go ahead, Throaty...you can just smack me. Bless your heart.
    Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    And a close third is "This food is healthy"!
    Usage note from dictionary.com:
    Usage Note: The distinction in meaning between healthy ("possessing good health") and healthful ("conducive to good health") was ascribed to the two terms only as late as the 1880s. This distinction, though tenaciously supported by some critics, is belied by citational evidence—healthy has been used to mean "healthful" since the 16th century.
    Click here to read the rest (didn't want to copy too much)