Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Toothpaste - an inane yet insanely important topic

Would have embedded a in the thread title if I knew I could.

While tongue may be firmly planted in cheek, I am genuinely interested.

I moved away from Colgate Total Care for the same reason I started using it- triclosan.

I may have overcorrected with non-ADA Earthpaste.

Post oral surgery, I’ve gone from no sensitivity to intermittently shockingly sensitive.

I’m using some type of sensodyne and the texture and taste is pretty terrible.

Thank heavens for the internet and research

I learned today (surprise!) there are toothpastes outside the US that might better solve the sensitivity issue using cool tech like bioglass (novamin) and nano-hydroxy-apatite.

Anyone have any experience with toothpastes like this?

[Yes I can look at myself in the mirror and make fun of myself for absurd and inane DBR off topic threads.]

First, what kind of oral surgery?

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    First, what kind of oral surgery? ...
    Second, were you under any anesthesia for the oral surgery? [ricks is one of those "licensed" practitioners; I operate in a different world]

ricks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Second, were you under any anesthesia for the oral surgery? [ricks is one of those "licensed" practitioners; I operate in a different world]
    Third, you still got any? Asking, you know, for a friend.

ricks
    Gum grafts on 8 teeth, left side of mouth, both top and bottom.

Pleased with the overall results just was not anticipating the resulting sensitivity.

I don't have any answers for the OP, but I just want to throw in a few thoughts about toothpaste.

1) Many toothpastes contain sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). Some people are very sensitive to SLS. If you get canker sores and you are sick of them, the first thing to do is to switch to a toothpaste that doesn't have any SLS. For a lot of people, that alone solves the problem.
    It has no real function in toothpaste except to make it lather a lot, which makes people think it's doing a better job cleaning the teeth.

2) Most people use way too much toothpaste when they brush their teeth. Brushing technique is much more important than the toothpaste.
    Last edited by rsvman; 07-22-2018 at 01:33 AM. Reason: typo

Toms - No flouride...

I grew up using baking soda, then colgate for most of my young years...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I grew up with Ipana. You remember - Bucky, Bucky Beaver.

Good timing for this topic. I have used Listerine every night for years. I use a nightguard and use it to clean the guard and rinse my mouth. A few months ago, I ran out of Listerine and decided to try Crest Pro-Health instead - only b/c it was on sale and I had a super-double coupon. A couple of weeks later, I noticed I had ugly brown stains on my teeth. Big, bad stains. I had NEVER had stains like this. I looked like Carol Burnett when she played the baglady. I was also doing job interviews. I was not due for my dentist appt, but I made one as soon as I could. When the hygienist asked me if I was having any trouble, I mentioned the stains. And that the ONLY thing that had changed was that I had recently switched to Crest Pro-Health. She immediately turned around and said, "Oh, don't use that stuff, it stains your teeth!" My dentist told me that there is a protein that we have in our saliva, and some people have a higher concentration of it. There is an ingredient that Crest uses that reacts with it and causes sticky brown stains that cannot be removed by brushing or rinsing. I called P&G that afternoon and spoke with a rep. Long story short, I sent them copies of my dental record and filled out some forms, and they refunded my cost of the mouthwash PLUS the cost of my dental appt. They said it was a "goodwill gesture" and NOT an "admission of liability." Of course later I found many horror stories online about using the mouthwash. And my dentist said he has spoken with Crest people and told them about this problem. I have gone back to Listerine - no stains.

I started using Aim when they advertised it when I was a kid. Between regular brushing and some luck in the gene pool, I have had bright white teeth for a long time. Thankfully now they do not advertise anymore and it is available at discount stores for a $1 a tube.

Q: Did you know the toothbrush was invented in West Virginia?

A: Anywhere else and it would have been called a teeth brush.

(sorry-I'm leaving now)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

And of course y'all know the best time to go to the dentist, right?

tooth hurty of course!

Right behind you DD!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

(sorry-I'm leaving now)
    Urban legend at Cisco has it a promising exec made this joke in front of John Chambers. Shortly thereafter instead of being the heir apparent at Cisco, this exec landed at another company.

No idea if it is true, or not.

Picked up Colgate Sensitive Protect and Repair last night.
    Has potassium nitrate in it as well as flouride.

Seems to work better than the sensodyne.

(sorry-I'm leaving now)
    My cousin/sister/aunt/girlfriend (all the same person) in Arkansas is highly offended....

(sorry-I'm leaving now)
    This I would have Zporked you for, but alas.... LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    My cousin/sister/aunt/girlfriend (all the same person) in Arkansas is highly offended...
    It's all relative...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    This I would have Zporked you for, but alas... LGD GTHc!
    It's the thought that counts. Now, we return to our regular brushing and flossing.

H2O2

Does anyone have any thoughts on peroxide? Good? Bad? No different than other mouthwashes? The taste is awful but would it be worth it to use for cleaner/healthier teeth/gums?

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts on peroxide? Good? Bad? No different than other mouthwashes? The taste is awful but would it be worth it to use for cleaner/healthier teeth/gums?
    My dentist told me to do a 1/2 peroxide and 1/2 water rinse every morning before brushing. It helps fend off tea and coffee stains and it disinfects like a Listerine rinse. It tastes like maybe slightly salty water to me.