Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I was able to literally jump out of the gym in my prime, but that was just because I was at the exit. I think I could still do it.
    “You must spread some Comments around before commenting on NSDukeFan again.”

There's a saying.

The older I get, the better I was.

Well, I'm in late, late middle-age and I still wasn't very good.

I'm 5-10 and I could touch the net.

On a good day.

But I made up for my mediocre athleticism and size with an even more mediocre skill set.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    There's a saying.

On a good day.

But I made up for my mediocre athleticism and size with an even more mediocre skill set.
    Sounds like we need to play each other.

I was 5-10 in 7th grade and was a really good post player.

Fast forward to senior year and I was... wait for it... 5-11 1/2.

I was no longer a good post player.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I can relate. In the 8th grade my best friend and I were both 5'6" and were guards on the elementary school basketball team. In the 12th grade we were 5'7" and 6'1".

Luckily we went to a small school where they needed bodies to fill out the athletic teams so we were still teammates as high school seniors.

I was a 5'11.5" post player at age 18, and I was a star.

The trick is to play against one's younger brothers who, at the time, were 14, 9, and 6.

The word domination comes to mind.

There's a saying.

On a good day.

I may not be very tall, but...

Same here. Almost the exact same measurements. And I always said....
    5-10 1/2 in eighth grade = shot blocker, but 5-11 1/2 in 12th grade = shot blockee

I’ve got Spud Webb height, but not Spud Webb hops.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “You must spread some Comments around before commenting on NSDukeFan again.”
    Alas, I am unable to cover you on this one, OPK. Sorry.

Funny stuff by NSDukeFan.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeford View Post
    Same here. Almost the exact same measurements. And I always said...
    5-10 1/2 in eighth grade = shot blocker, but 5-11 1/2 in 12th grade = shot blockee
    Can confirm. Was my current height of 6 foot in the 7th grade.

There's a saying.

On a good day.

That reminds me of how I often play cards: I had terrible cards and played them quite poorly.

I hope Zion gets on a scale in Canada, a country known for non fake weights.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I hope Zion gets on a scale in Canada, a country known for non fake weights.
    But, but, but, then we'll have to worry about currency and weight conversion factors.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Complete opposite for me. 4'10 as a freshman in high school, 5' as a sophomore. Played point guard only those two years. Junior year I come back for fall season 5'8 and was made into a forward/center (really short Asian only school lol. If you were 5'10+, you were automatically center). Went from guarding quick guards to guarding 6'2 200 pound centers. Oh and I grew upwards but not outwards. Think I was around 5'8 120 pounds.

Like Lorenzo Charles

I was looking at the thread, and thinking that Zion might be foul prone if he attempts to use his gifts inside on offense. A usual freshman malady.

His physique reminds me (somewhat) of Lorenzo Charles as an upper class-man. Long arms and he was stronger than anyone on the other team at 6'7". Lorenzo developed a 10 foot shot that was unstoppable in college, but still was able to rebound. No one was able to push him around. Perhaps as an upper class-man he had the respect of the refs and got many calls.

Zion is 60 lbs heavier at the same height. People will be bouncing off of him, no matter what he does, and he will be given the credit (fouls). With the slight move outside, Zion can avoid the initial banging, use his significant reach to get separation on the shot, and cut down on the fouls to stay in the game.

Maybe his freshman year will end the same way as Lorenzo's.

Larry
    DevilHorse

I was 5'7" the first time I truly dunked in a gym on a regulation goal. I was in 14 and in 9th grade. Me and a couple of other guys spent our entire PE period for MONTHS trying to be the first one to dunk out of our little group. Once I realized I was close, that's all I did in PE everyday. Throw it up, let it bounce, have a friend toss a short ally, throw it off the backboard, we practiced them all to try to get a clean flush.

Finally caught one off the bounce and threw it down flush, like I had been doing it my whole life. By the end of the year, I was dunking with one hand with ease. I could only ever dunk with two hands off an ally or rebound. I was the fan favorite in our dunk contests that year during the basketball pep rally.

I had long arms for my height, that I eventually grew into. I could also palm a regulation ball, which helped.

Quote Originally Posted by WHOneedsSOX View Post
    Complete opposite for me. 4'10 as a freshman in high school, 5' as a sophomore. Played point guard only those two years. Junior year I come back for fall season 5'8 and was made into a forward/center (really short Asian only school lol. If you were 5'10+, you were automatically center). Went from guarding quick guards to guarding 6'2 200 pound centers. Oh and I grew upwards but not outwards. Think I was around 5'8 120 pounds.
    I can somewhat relate to this experience, but as an adult. I'm 6'1 now and grew up playing guard/wing. When I moved to Hawaii I suddenly became a 4/5 in the vast majority of the games I play. I'm still trying to figure out playing in the post on the offensive side of the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I was 5'7" the first time I truly dunked in a gym on a regulation goal. I was in 14 and in 9th grade. Me and a couple of other guys spent our entire PE period for MONTHS trying to be the first one to dunk out of our little group. Once I realized I was close, that's all I did in PE everyday. Throw it up, let it bounce, have a friend toss a short ally, throw it off the backboard, we practiced them all to try to get a clean flush.

Finally caught one off the bounce and threw it down flush, like I had been doing it my whole life. By the end of the year, I was dunking with one hand with ease. I could only ever dunk with two hands off an ally or rebound. I was the fan favorite in our dunk contests that year during the basketball pep rally.

I had long arms for my height, that I eventually grew into. I could also palm a regulation ball, which helped.
    The palming the ball thing is huge. I could dunk a soccer ball when I was in HS, but I could never do a basketball because I couldn't palm it high enough in my hand to snap my wrist down to finish the dunk without the ball catching the rim.

Sorry if this is already posted -- but Zion's measurements are blowing up the internet:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...cid=spartandhp

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sorry if this is already posted -- but Zion's measurements are blowing up the internet:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...cid=spartandhp
    Too late to edit, so I'll add:

I do not really follow recruiting so I had not seen the videos linked at the bottom of the article. That was when Zion was SIXTEEN.

Holy burrito!!!