Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Was calling for the stick check in the last minute after we took the lead like checking for pine tar on George Brett’s bat? LGD GTHc!
    It is kinda bush-league, but it’s entirely within the rules, and it was a really bad brain-cramp by Gurenlian to go out there with a stick he wasn’t sure was legal. That’s a three-minute, non-releasable penalty. He owes Joe Fletcher big-time for making the big defensive play.

With England and Scotland likely to be blowouts, I’ll be interested to see whether the US gives the emergency goaltender some game action.

Man, what a physical, at times chippy, game.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Was calling for the stick check in the last minute after we took the lead like checking for pine tar on George Brett’s bat? LGD GTHc!
    It is fairly common. Something coaches keep in their pocket for just such times.

Many players keep their heads just a hair on the legal side, making it harder for an opponent to dislodge the ball.

Face-off guys put a lot of stress on the heads as they dig for the ball, it is easy to believe that after a couple of dozen face-offs, the head got warped and pinched down. But that head wasn't close to legal, the ref carried the stick back to the sideline upside down, and the ball didn't even budge!

Not bush league at all in my opinion. We got caught using a stick that gave our face off guy significant advantage. That's why it's a 3 minute penalty.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I think I have the format figured out. Apologies if this turns out to be wrong.

The play-in activity culminates tomorrow with two games, Ireland-Israel and Puerto Rico - Japan.

The winners of those games play the fifth and sixth place teams in the Blue group in what are effectively round of 16 games. If either non-Blue team wins, they move into the Blue group for 2022 if the format stays the same.

The winners of those games play the third and fourth place teams in the Blue group in what are effectively quarterfinals.

The winners of those games play the first and second place teams in the Blue group in the semifinals.

The winners of those games play for the championship at 3:00 a.m. Eastern on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Not bush league at all in my opinion. We got caught using a stick that gave our face off guy significant advantage. That's why it's a 3 minute penalty.
    Haven't watched the 4th quarter yet so don't know the details but was the check called for before or after the faceoff? If before than I agree, if after, not so much. I ran the box for my son's team this spring and one of our faceoff guys also played attack and used a different stick for each, so I was always holding his other stick. I was constantly bending his faceoff head back into shape to keep it legal. I would guess that most faceoff heads wouldn't pass a check immediately after the faceoff. They get bent all to hell.

On a side not the VA state championship was decided because the fogo for one team had the ball with a 1 goal lead and a minute to go. The goallie rushed to double him which he dodged leaving an open goal, so he shot. The opposing coach called for a stick check and it failed. Goal waved off, 3 minutes unreleasable, no fogo led to 2 lost faceoffs and 2 goals, game over. A lot of uproar up hear. Most people I've talked to thought it was pretty bush league.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Haven't watched the 4th quarter yet so don't know the details but was the check called for before or after the faceoff? If before than I agree, if after, not so much. I ran the box for my son's team this spring and one of our faceoff guys also played attack and used a different stick for each, so I was always holding his other stick. I was constantly bending his faceoff head back into shape to keep it legal. I would guess that most faceoff heads wouldn't pass a check immediately after the faceoff. They get bent all to hell. ...
    It was called right after the face-off. It was actually kinda funny how pinched the head was. The ref could shake the stick upside down without the ball coming out.

Just fyi, in the women's game, they check the scorer's stick after every goal.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Just watched the last quarter, the head was definitely pinched prior to the face off but it looked like the Canadian fogo’s stick may have been pinched as well. Would have been interesting if coach D had called for a stick check too. I do wonder how long the head had been pinched and if the Canadian coaches had been watching most of the game. As bad as it was pinched, I don’t blame them for calling for the check.

Israel and Puerto Rico won today’s “play-up” games over Ireland and Japan, and advance to the quarters. Israel faces Australia and Puerto Rico plays the Iroquois tomorrow. The US and Canada have byes into the semis.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Israel and Puerto Rico won today’s “play-up” games over Ireland and Japan, and advance to the quarters. Israel faces Australia and Puerto Rico plays the Iroquois tomorrow. The US and Canada have byes into the semis.
    Israel may have a chance against Australia. They haven't look all that strong this go around. Be pretty cool if they can finish top 6 and.make the blue group in 4 years.

When does the U.S. play next?
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Israel may have a chance against Australia. They haven't look all that strong this go around. Be pretty cool if they can finish top 6 and.make the blue group in 4 years.
    I'm sure some of the other countries also have some "ringers" from the US, but the Israeli roster is quite loaded, including Tewaaraton winner Max Seibald and Duke's Josh Offit. There are a few homegrown players mixed in but it is largely imports.

http://lacrosse.co.il/israel-announc...championships/

Israel and Puerto Rico bowed out in yesterday’s quarterfinals, but both games were decided by second-half runs. Australia rode a 5-1 third quarter and held on to beat Israel, 9-6. The Iroquois went down 3-0 to Puerto Rico, battled back to a halftime tie, and scored the game’s last six goals; the 14-7 final score is extremely misleading. Congrats to the upstarts on a great tournament, and best of luck as they try to build sustainable local programs.

Semifinal Thursday rounds up the usual suspects, US - AUS and CAN - IRQ, starting at 11:00 Eastern.

The United States will face Australia in the semifinal tomorrow at 2 p.m. The U.S. beat the Aussies 19-1 in the pool play game. The game will be televised live by ESPNU.
    Canada will face the Iroquois Nationals at 11 a.m. (ET) on ESPNU.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

It is possible, according to the worldlacrosse2018.com site, that USA won the championship 9-8 over Canada. Perhaps even in a dramatic fashion?

http://worldlacrosse2018.com/schedul...ail&gameid=170

Edit: Here's a better version for those of us living in the USA. We won with 1 second to go.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    Last edited by duke2x; 07-21-2018 at 08:27 AM. Reason: GoDuke had an article.

Crotty and Dano with 2 points each. Wolf didn't scratch.
    Congrats to Coach and all our guys on the World Championship!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    It is possible, according to the worldlacrosse2018.com site, that USA won the championship 9-8 over Canada. Perhaps even in a dramatic fashion?

http://worldlacrosse2018.com/schedul...ail&gameid=170

Edit: Here's a better version for those of us living in the USA. We won with 1 second to go.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Why would you post this prior to the it being shown on TV in the US today at Noon and not put a “spoiler alert” so I could avoid?

spoiler alert

spoiler alert (though the thread has been tainted already.....

that(the final seconds of the game) was one of the truly greatest clusterclucks I can recall in sports. I don't know if the time they showed on TV was synced with the game clock, but I'm pretty sure it was.
    So with several seconds left in the tied game, the US inbounds the ball, guy is running with it in his stick, and the clock hasn't started...hasn't started...then it gets down to about 0.7 seconds and it actually starts running in reverse, i.e. it clicks on up to 2.7 seconds, then it winds down again, giving enough time for the final goal.

I know the refs and coaches didn't see that, but for a minute I was thinking perhaps John Danowski was going to win the all time good sportsman award for agreeing to disallow that goal...but he had no way of seeing what happened (i'm pretty sure) and I'm sure he'll be disappointed that the final result was tainted...again, due to no fault of his or his team's.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Why would you post this prior to the it being shown on TV in the US today at Noon and not put a “spoiler alert” so I could avoid?
    My sincerest apologies. I had no idea it was being shown on tape delay. I only carry cable to watch Duke basketball games I can't attend.