Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

K High on Bolden

Coach sees Marques as one of the best big men in the country:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...is-slow-start/

K has been known to prop up guys during the off season. Last year he was effusive in his praise of Javin, even suggested he could start at the 3. We all remember him saying Alex Murphy would eventually be an all-ACC player. So I'm taking these comments with many grains of salt.

With that said, I would really love to see how good Bolden can be when fully healthy, which we've never seen. He was coming on really strong late last season even in a limited role and always playing alongside another big. If he can anchor the inside with our wings around him, that would be the type of lineup that K loves. He will likely be the only non-freshman starter and as such it would be great if he took on more of a leadership role, but I honestly don't know if he has that in him as he seems like a quiet (i.e. silent) kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    K has been known to prop up guys during the off season. Last year he was effusive in his praise of Javin, even suggested he could start at the 3. We all remember him saying Alex Murphy would eventually be an all-ACC player. So I'm taking these comments with many grains of salt.

With that said, I would really love to see how good Bolden can be when fully healthy, which we've never seen. He was coming on really strong late last season even in a limited role and always playing alongside another big. If he can anchor the inside with our wings around him, that would be the type of lineup that K loves. He will likely be the only non-freshman starter and as such it would be great if he took on more of a leadership role, but I honestly don't know if he has that in him as he seems like a quiet (i.e. silent) kind of guy.
    Bolden is an ideal center for this team. He's big and long, can be a safety valve offensive option late in the possession with his jump hooks, hedges on screens and recovers very well, and can even guard wings and guards on switches for short periods of time. He also gets a lot of blocks and generates a few steals.

Comparing Wendell Carter, Jr. and Marques Bolden, both had remarkably similar block stats last season. Their per 36 blocks were 3.1 and 3.0, respectively and their per 100 possession block rate was 4.3 and 4.2. Justin Robinson, for what it is worth, led the team in both of those states by a wide margin. Carter was a better rebounder last season but wasn't that far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Bolden is an ideal center for this team. He's big and long, can be a safety valve offensive option late in the possession with his jump hooks, hedges on screens and recovers very well, and can even guard wings and guards on switches for short periods of time. He also gets a lot of blocks and generates a few steals.

Comparing Wendell Carter, Jr. and Marques Bolden, both had remarkably similar block stats last season. Their per 36 blocks were 3.1 and 3.0, respectively and their per 100 possession block rate was 4.3 and 4.2. Justin Robinson, for what it is worth, led the team in both of those states by a wide margin. Carter was a better rebounder last season but wasn't that far behind.
    i don't know if i would call it a "light bulb moment", but Marques began playing a much more effective brand of ball a few games after returning from his brief injury time. I think that withe post cleared out and due to his own progress, Marques will have a very fine year. If he really focuses on the defensive side of things, i think the offense will come. It's quite common for a good PG to "feed the big" after he has blocked a shot and created a turnover. He's got a nice hook shot, and he can finish a lob, so there's some different ways he can score. But rebounds and defense will need to be his calling card.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

Yes... remember Zoubs. Injured for 3 years, finally healthy as a senior. I recall an interview that Coach K answered a question on Zoubs "improvement"... and Coach K said that Zoubs was always that good, just that he was injured all of that time. So I think it's very realistic that a healthy non-injured Bolden can be very good.

It's ridiculous for me to say it but in watching Bolden towards the middle of last season there seemed to be a better look in his eyes, more alert and confident. He's physically much more solid and heavier in the legs than a lot of college players, so learning how to move that mass has been key.
    Of course he can feel when the crowd in Cameron is disappointed so naturally the cheers were a tonic.

He's primed.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    It's ridiculous for me to say it but in watching Bolden towards the middle of last season there seemed to be a better look in his eyes, more alert and confident. He's physically much more solid and heavier in the legs than a lot of college players, so learning how to move that mass has been key.
    Of course he can feel when the crowd in Cameron is disappointed so naturally the cheers were a tonic.

He's primed.
    Primed is right.

This is his chance this year. I know we live in an era of look-at-me, instant gratification, but Bolden has (perhaps somewhat grudgingly) followed a more traditional path in that he just wasn't ready (health-wise or, I suspect more likely, development-wise).

Entering this season, I am pulling for and expecting the Big Fella to average 10 and 7 across ~25mpg.

- Chillin

Showed some great moves last year, but keeping him on the court is the key (health). Javin needs to foul considerably less. Opportunity knocks for both these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Primed is right.

This is his chance this year. I know we live in an era of look-at-me, instant gratification, but Bolden has (perhaps somewhat grudgingly) followed a more traditional path in that he just wasn't ready (health-wise or, I suspect more likely, development-wise).

Entering this season, I am pulling for and expecting the Big Fella to average 10 and 7 across ~25mpg.

- Chillin
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Showed some great moves last year, but keeping him on the court is the key (health). Javin needs to foul considerably less. Opportunity knocks for both these guys.
    i doubt that Duke will go with a 2 big lineup very often, unlike last year, so there'll be roughly 40 minutes for them to divide. I guess an even 20/20 split could happen, but Chillin's estimate of 25 for Marques would leave 15 for Javin at the 5. So, add in Vrank's minutes and i'd guess that 25 for Marques, and 20 for Javin seems reasonable, giving Duke about 5-8 mpg with 2 bigs on the floor. Javin's quickness and springy nature could make him a good 3/4 type player, particularly if his 3pt shooting improves from last year. I don't see any minutes for Marques away from the C position.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Can we add "goal-tend less" to Javin's "2018 improvements" as well?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Can we add "goal-tend less" to Javin's "2018 improvements" as well?
    Hrmmmm goaltending is a bummer, but also indicative of aggressive rim protection. I don't mind a mistake here or there on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Hrmmmm goaltending is a bummer, but also indicative of aggressive rim protection. I don't mind a mistake here or there on that front.
    Is it still "here or there" if it happens once a game? If Javin's minutes go up - and they should - he'd probably average once a game.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Is it still "here or there" if it happens once a game? If Javin's minutes go up - and they should - he'd probably average once a game.
    Sure, but how many blocks does he also get per game when his minutes go up?

Would you rather have a guy that has a block:goaltend ratio of 2 or 3:1 or a guy who never challenges shots?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

He's primed.
    Bolden did show more confidence and more comfort as the season went along last year. He's one of those players that has just taken a little time to adjust to the college game from high school, despite the HS * rankings.

I fully expect him to have a good year and be one of the better post players in the ACC this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Bolden did show more confidence and more comfort as the season went along last year. He's one of those players that has just taken a little time to adjust to the college game from high school, despite the HS * rankings.

I fully expect him to have a good year and be one of the better post players in the ACC this season.
    I also expect great things from Bolden. A healthy Bolden, with experience in practice against Giles, Carter, and Bagley, ought to be ready to make some noise.
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post

STOP IT, Wheat...you can't just slide in here and post some positive things without some controversy. I hereby DEMAND that Wheat's post be removed, and have my name replaced as the author....

"One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    STOP IT, Wheat...you can't just slide in here and post some positive things without some controversy. I hereby DEMAND that Wheat's post be removed, and have my name replaced as the author...

Just can’t help but call it like I see it...

On a per minute basis, Bolden was pretty good last season. I thought his defense around the rim was very good. The only knock on him is that he's not the type rebounder you would hope for at his size (he just doesn't have a top end motor in him), but you could tell he was trying as hard as he could. Hopefully Zion (who is a monster rebounder, and should easily lead the team in that category) will be able to cover for that weakness.

All he really needs to do is to get into the best shape he possibly can be in, and stay healthy. If that happens, he's going to be great. His rim protection is something that no one else in the rotation offers (though Zion will probably have some spectacular blocks).

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    On a per minute basis, Bolden was pretty good last season. I thought his defense around the rim was very good. The only knock on him is that he's not the type rebounder you would hope for at his size (he just doesn't have a top end motor in him), but you could tell he was trying as hard as he could.

All he really needs to do is to get into the best shape he possibly can be in, and stay healthy. If that happens, he's going to be great.
    I tend to agree. On defense, he's great at moving his feet and defends PnRs really well.

His rebounding numbers are a solid 12 per 40 min. I agree he looks like a poor rebounder, but his ginormous frame gets them (I think Bolden is the longest player in Duke history).

I am feeling great about Bolden on defense.

For me, the second biggest question comes on offense. Can he score in iso? Can he score over more athletic, shorter dudes? Can he get and score on second chance opportunities?

The biggest question? Health. Bolden unfortunately seems like a guy who is just always injured.

For me, the second biggest question comes on offense. Can he score in iso? Can he score over more athletic, shorter dudes? Can he get and score on second chance opportunities?
    I think anything he provides on offense would just be gravy. All we really need from him is finishing dump offs, a putback or two, be a lob threat, and set screens. Our offensive firepower is unreal even if Bolden doesn't develop a back to the basket game. On the other hand, he did show some touch with the jump hook last year (I think he actually was able to hit with either hand, too!), so the post up threat could be there as well, but it's not something that will make or break our offense. He'll be the 5th option in the starting lineup, almost for sure.

Totally agree the #1 thing for him is health.