Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

2018 DBR NBA Mock Draft - It's a wrap!

The 2018 DBR Mock Draft is officially underway!

Make your pick by posting it in this thread. Please try to explain your rationale for the pick -- both what you like about the player and how he fits into your team. I kinda like it when folks put the name of the pick in the post title or in bold so it is easy to see who was selected. Also, feel free to comment on previous picks with thoughts and analysis.

Lastly, there is a close. As reminder --
    Mon-Fri between 8am and 8pm ET, the clock is 3 hours. Make a pick in 3 hours or forfeit your pick to me (or some other designated picker).
    Sat and Sun, the clock is 5 hours between 8am and 8pm ET (to allow for people who have activities away from the computer on weekends).
    Please note -- you are allowed to make picks before your time is up and you are allowed to make picks in the evening or late at night even though the clock is suspended. Also, if you are worried you will not be available and can see your pick is coming up, PM some possible picks to me and I can post it for you.
    It's a wrap!

First round:
    1 Phoenix - NSDukeFan : DeAndre Ayton - Arizona
    2 Sacramento - gocanes0506 : Marvin Bagley - Duke
    3 Atlanta - JasonEvans : Mo Bamba - Texas
    4 Memphis - brevity : Luka Doncic - Real Madrid
    5 Dallas - jacone21 : Wendell Carter - Duke
    6 Orlando - coldriver10 : Trae Young - Oklahoma
    7 Chicago - Furniture : Jaren Jackson - Michigan State
    8 Cleveland - subzero02 : Collin Sexton - Alabama
    9 New York - ncexnyc : Mikal Bridges - Villanova
    10 Philadelphia - pfrduke : Michael Porter - Missouri
    11 Charlotte - Acymetric : Miles Bridges - Michigan State
    12 LA Clippers - DukieTiger: Lonnie Walker - Miami
    13 LA Clippers - DukieTiger: Robert Williams - Texas A&M
    14 Denver - CDu : Kevin Knox - Kentucky
    15 Washington - reddevil : Shai Gilgeous Alexander - Kentucky
    16 Phoenix - NSDukeFan : Dzanan Musa - Bosnia & Herz.
    17 Milwaukee - kAzE : Zhaire Smith - Texas Tech
    18 San Antonio - Turk (blazindw) : Troy Brown - Oregon
    19 Atlanta - JasonEvans : Aaron Holiday - UCLA
    20 Minnesota - drummerdevil : Gary Trent Jr. - Duke
    21 Utah - tbyers11 : Elie Okobo - France
    22 Chicago - Furniture : Grayson Allen - Duke
    23 Indiana - luburch : Jerome Robinson - Boston College
    24 Portland - FerryFor50 : Chandler Hutchison - Boise St.
    25 LA Lakers - JNort : Mitchell Robinson - High School
    26 Philadelphia - pfrduke : Josh Okogie - Ga Tech
    27 Boston - flyingdutchdevil : Jared Vanderbilt - Kentucky
    28 Golden St. - awhom111 : Donte DiVincenzo - Villanova
    29 Brooklyn – Billy Dat : Keita Bates-Diop, tOSU
    30 Atlanta - JasonEvans : Khyrie Thomas, Creighton

Second round:
    31 Phoenix - NSDukeFan : Jalen Brunson, Villanova
    32 Memphis - brevity : Omari Spellman, Villanova
    33 Dallas - jacone21 : Trevon Duval, Duke
    34 Atlanta - JasonEvans : Kevin Huerter, Maryland
    35 Orlando - coldriver10 : Melvin Frazier, Tulane
    36 New York - ncexnyc : Jacob Evans, Cincy
    37 Sacramento - gocanes0506 : Shake Milton, SMU
    38 Philadelphia - pfrduke : Rodions Kurucs, Latvia
    39 Philadelphia - pfrduke : Jevon Carter, West Virginia
    40 Brooklyn – Billy Dat : Mo Wagner - Michigan
    41 Orlando - coldriver10 : Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, Kansas
    42 Detroit - BD80 : Arnoldas Kulboka, Lithuania
    43 Denver - CDu : De'Anthony Melton, USC
    44 Washington - reddevil : Landry Shamet Wichita St.
    45 Brooklyn – Billy Dat : Rawle Alkins, Arizona
    46 Houston - DukeTrinity11 : Anfernee Simmons, High School
    47 LA Lakers - JNort : Hamidou Diallo, Kentucky
    48 Minnesota - drummerdevil : Kostas Antetokounmpo, Greece
    49 San Antonio - Turk : Isaac Bonga, Germany
    50 Indiana - luburch : Chimezie Metu, USC
    51 New Orleans - theschwartz : Kevin Hervey, UT Arlington
    52 Utah - tbyers11 : Alize Johnson, Missouri St
    53 Oklahoma Cty - johnb : Devon Hall, Virginia
    54 Dallas - jacone21 : Vincent Edwards, Purdue
    55 Charlotte - Acymetric : Alonzo Trier
    56 Philadelphia - pfrduke : Justin Jackson
    57 Oklahoma Cty - johnb : Brandon McCoy
    58 Denver - CDu : Bruce Brown
    59 Phoenix - NSDukeFan : Devonte Graham
    60 Philadelphia - pfrduke : Tryggvi Hlinason

-Jason "so, does NSDukeFan go conventional with Ayton or does he grab Bagley or Doncic?" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 06-18-2018 at 09:52 AM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Jason "so, does NSDukeFan go conventional with Ayton or does he grab Bagley or Doncic?" Evans
    Sorry to call out our fearless leader here, but isn’t there an unwritten rule in any fantasy draft that you don’t discuss players who haven’t yet been taken?!?

Off to a fast start . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Of course as soon as I step away from the computer to run some errands or watch some TV things will take off.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Of course as soon as I step away from the computer to run some errands or watch some TV things will take off.
    Classic Jason. The key point to this thread is in the previous thread:

With so many teams taken, I am going to start the mock. There will be a new thread for the actual draft. We will get going right away -- though, because there was no warning, the clock won't officially start until Tuesday at 8am.

-Jason "NSDukeFan, you are up!"
    NSDukeFan, take your sweet Canadian time.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Sorry to call out our fearless leader here, but isn’t there an unwritten rule in any fantasy draft that you don’t discuss players who haven’t yet been taken?!?
    If such a rule exists, it doesn't really apply to the early part of the first round where the picks tend to be a lot more defined than even the mid-late lottery. Other than the three names I mentioned, I don't think anyone else has been talked about as a potential #1 pick. I mean, if you really, really, really loved Mo Bamba or Tre Young or someone like that, you'd be insane to take them at #1. Trade back a couple picks and get them there**.

-Jason "**going forward, the practice of trading down to get the player you wanted at #1 shall be called either 'pulling an Ainge' or 'doing the Tatum,' can we all agree upon that?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

If such a rule exists, it doesn't really apply to the early part of the first round where the picks tend to be a lot more defined than even the mid-late lottery. Other than the three names I mentioned, I don't think anyone else has been talked about as a potential #1 pick. I mean, if you really, really, really loved Mo Bamba or Tre Young or someone like that, you'd be insane to take them at #1. Trade back a couple picks and get them there**.

-Jason "**going forward, the practice of trading down to get the player you wanted at #1 shall be called either 'pulling an Ainge' or 'doing the Tatum,' can we all agree upon that?" Evans
    Either/or. Maybe doin' the dirty is appropriate?

Sacramento is ergerly waiting to make a disappointing draft pick that will continue this awful franchise's awfulness.

Again no affiliation, just here to provide the same disappointment as the actual GM.

With the first pick in the 2018 DBR NBA Mock Draft, the Phoenix Suns select Deandre Ayton. We considered 3 players at this position and none of them was Jaren Jackson. We have some concerns about Deandre’s defense, but love his potential on that end with his NBA-ready body, 7’4 wingspan and overall athleticism. We’re hoping he’s more David Robinson or Dwight Howard than Michael Olowakandi. The Dragan Bender and Alex Len experiments haven’t been massive successes, so we feel there are some minutes up front (read as many as he can handle) for someone to help try to improve on the team’s league worst offensive and defensive efficiencies, a rare double double.

Sacramento's Pick:

PF Marvin Bagley - Duke

Why: We need rebounding and a decent outside threat to open up the middle for our other bigs. He is a good passer as well. Bagley would be the engine that will the get the team moving. I think the team would look to get faster with his presence.

Selfishly I hope Sacramento doesnt take him so I can go to one Hawks game and see him play. I will go to just one, because they are just a mismanaged organization (much like the Hornets).

In all reality if I was the Sacremento's GM I would be looking for move the number 2 pick to LA Clippers for their 2 this year and possibly their number 1 next year. Why? Of the guys that are available at 2, they arent what the Kings need; outside scoring. What about Doncic? He is good but there is a lot of concern about his lateral quickness. He'll get burned in the NBA in 1 v 1 situations; which is about 75% of the offense. He'll be a defensive liability on an already bad defensive team.
    Harden doesnt play defense but when he does he can at least stay in front of a guy. Porter would have been the guy if he wasnt hurt all last year and his shot was more consistent.

Again look to move down to 11 & 12 to take some combination of Miles Bridges, Gary Trent Jr and Troy Brown Jr.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 06-11-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    Sacramento's Pick:

PF Marvin Bagley

Why: We need rebounding and a decent outside threat to open up the middle for our other bigs. He is a good passer as well. Bagley would be the engine that will the get the team moving. I think the team would look to get faster with his presence.

Selfishly I hope Sacramento doesnt take him so I can go to one Hawks game and see him play. I will go to just one, because they are just a mismanaged organization (much like the Hornets).

In all reality if I was the Sacremento's GM I would be looking for move the number 2 pick to LA Clippers for their 2 this year and possibly their number 1 next year. Why? Of the guys that are available at 2, they arent what the Kings need; outside scoring. What about Doncic? He is good but there is a lot of concern about his lateral quickness. He'll get burned in the NBA in 1 v 1 situations; which is about 75% of the offense. He'll be a defensive liability on an already bad defensive team.
    Harden doesnt play defense but when he does he can at least stay in front of a guy. Porter would have been the guy if he wasnt hurt all last year and his shot was more consistent.

Again look to move down to 11 & 12 to take some combination of Miles Bridges, Gary Trent Jr and Troy Brown Jr.
    How is Bagley an outside threat? I know he took some 3s at Duke, but most peg his outside shooting as one of his major weaknesses (and his FT shooting which as a predictor indicates not the highest ceiling for his 3-ball). Carter is undoubedtly a better outside threat.

Not that I disagree with your pick, just questioning the rationale. That was one issue with Duke potentially this past year -- too many bigs clogging the lane. Hopefully, Bags can develop of more reliable jumper though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    How is Bagley an outside threat? I know he took some 3s at Duke, but most peg his outside shooting as one of his major weaknesses (and his FT shooting which as a predictor indicates not the highest ceiling for his 3-ball). Carter is undoubedtly a better outside threat.

Not that I disagree with your pick, just questioning the rationale. That was one issue with Duke potentially this past year -- too many bigs clogging the lane. Hopefully, Bags can develop of more reliable jumper though.
    He is a decent shot with a chance to get much better. He wasnt asked or even pushed to take the outside shot. He only averaged 1.8 attempts per game at Duke. He could get 5 to 7 attempts per game in the NBA. His stroke looked repeatable and able to work on consistency. His 3 pt percentage was only .01 % worse than Jaren Jackson Jr while playing a harder schedule. Bamba played a harder schedule but, his 3 PT average was 10 percent lower. Although Ayton is already chosen even MBIII is 5 percent better 3 PT shooter with Ayton only averaging 1 per game. MBIII isnt a Kevin Durant but compared to the other big men around him in the same draft area (1-7) he is an outside threat. I believe he could be making them with consistency by mid season next year and a respectable 3 point shooter come his second full season.

Watching him a lot, he did well at attacking rebounds form long and short distance. Kings are straight awful at rebounding.

3. Atlanta Hawks - Mohamed Bamba, C Texas

I guess this qualifies as the first surprise of the draft. I really wanted Bagley with this pick. Oh well.

But, I'm thrilled to get Bamba, who is the guy I grade 2nd best in this draft (I'm not an Ayton fan). Mo is the longest player (7-9) in NBA combine history. He will instantly make the Hawks into one of the best teams in the league at rim protection and has the athleticism/quickness to effectively defend the pick and roll or switch on D. That is truly rare in a big man. I have seen video of his improved shooting touch and I think he can become a legit offensive threat down the road. I seriously would have considered him with the #1 pick, though if I wanted him there I probably would have tried to pull an Ainge and done the Tatum if I was the real Hawks GM because Bamba isn't going before #3 in the real draft. I actually think that Bamba's shot blocking ability make him one of the most "sure thing" players in this draft. I mean, is there any reasonable scenario where he is not one of the top 3 defensive big men in the NBA in a couple years (barring injury)?

The Hawks certainly considered Doncic, who is going to be an immediate upgrade in playmaking and scoring for some team picking after me. But, as mentioned by gocanes, I am really worried about his D at this level and the Hawks would be wise to make D their calling card for now. Also, though it sounds crazy, I don't want someone who is too NBA ready with this pick as the Hawks need to really suck again next year to get yet another high draft pick. Doncic might be good enough to ensure the team wins 30 games or so, which would be a real problem for the Hawks long term plans.

-Jason "brevity's turn..." Evans

I know we can't make trades in this draft. But in the alternative mock draft world where such trades would be allowed, the mock 76ers GM would be on the phone with the mock Grizzlies GM to make very serious offers for moving up to this 4 spot (and, depending on how the Grizzlies respond and/or pick, would be having the same conversations with the mock Mavericks GM).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I know we can't make trades in this draft. But in the alternative mock draft world where such trades would be allowed, the mock 76ers GM would be on the phone with the mock Grizzlies GM to make very serious offers for moving up to this 4 spot (and, depending on how the Grizzlies respond and/or pick, would be having the same conversations with the mock Mavericks GM).
    I'm eager to know who you would mock want. I think Doncic doesn't make sense for the 76ers because you don't need another big ballhandler with Simmons already on the team. I'm betting the 76ers want to improve their ability to his treys by drafting Trae. That would also make it easier to say goodbye to JJ when you use his salary slot to sign Paul George, LJ, or some other stud free agent.

I like Bamba as a pick and think it likely that he’ll be a good shot blocker at worst but...I keep having Hasheem Thabeet flashbacks.

Not bad! I would also suggest "conning a Colangelo" or "selling swampland in Phoenix" or "finding a sucker"...
    "Quality is not an option!"

#4: Memphis Grizzlies select Luka Doncic

So I guess we’re doing this today. I’m observing a class for the next few hours, but I didn’t want to make others wait.

I was hoping to do some damage to Mock Draft Conventional Wisdom (MDCW) and looked at Collin Sexton, Wendell Carter, and Michael Porter to take at #4. But I promised myself that I would select Luka Doncic or Marvin Bagley if either fell out of the Top 3.

So the MDCW has been restored? Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    So I guess we’re doing this today. I’m observing a class for the next few hours, but I didn’t want to make others wait.

I was hoping to do some damage to Mock Draft Conventional Wisdom (MDCW) and looked at Collin Sexton, Wendell Carter, and Michael Porter to take at #4. But I promised myself that I would select Luka Doncic or Marvin Bagley if either fell out of the Top 3.

So the MDCW has been restored? Sorry.
    Jeez Louise, Doncic all the way down to 4?

I think many people (myself included) would have drafted him #1.

Calling it now, this is the steal of the draft (although we won't know that for sure until at least 3-4 years from now). However, he should be the heavy favorite for rookie of the year, no matter which of the top 4 teams he lands with.
    Last edited by kAzE; 06-11-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Jeez Louise, Doncic all the way down to 4?

I think many people (myself included) would have drafted him #1.

Calling it now, this is the steal of the draft (although we won't know that for sure until at least 3-4 years from now). However, he should be the heavy favorite for rookie of the year, no matter which of the top 4 teams he lands with.
    He is the player who has succeeded at the highest level of potential draftees but I was hoping for greater upside potential with Ayton. I was also strongly considering Bagley and his awesome first step and second jump.