Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: World Cup 2018

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I think Griezmann was fouled - he got clipped on his back left foot.

The pk was harsh, but it was a handled by the Croatian defender. His arm was not against his body and he brought his hand down in front of the ball, redirecting it. It's unfortunate, but I don't know how it's not a handball.
    Both the live Guardian soccer expert and a panel of BBC experts saw it in the opposite way with both calls, I am not a lone wolf here! One Fox expert also would not have called it a hand ball, and with the first goal, one commentator called it a dive. One thing is for certain, there is some degree of subjectivity/grey areas in officiating sports, and those were critical turning points in the game!

Quote Originally Posted by NM Duke Fan View Post
    Both the live Guardian soccer expert and a panel of BBC experts saw it in the opposite way with both calls, I am not a lone wolf here! One Fox expert also would not have called it a hand ball, and with the first goal, one commentator called it a dive. One thing is for certain, there is some degree of subjectivity/grey areas in officiating sports, and those were critical turning points in the game!
    IMHO (where the H, which was present in Rio, failed to make the trip to Russia), neither call was outrageously bad. Griezmann went down a bit too easily -- but he is a big-time player (and Michael Jordan pushed off all the time). The hand ball was obviously a "hand hitting a ball" -- gotta have some discipline, Croatia. I would sympathize heavily with Croatia, however, if not for those two gorgeous goals by Mbappe and Pogba, which showed that France could generate some offense on its own.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't see how anyone could question the handball call that lead to the PK. Seemed pretty obvious to me.
    I think Griezmann was fouled - he got clipped on his back left foot.

The pk was harsh, but it was a handled by the Croatian defender. His arm was not against his body and he brought his hand down in front of the ball, redirecting it. It's unfortunate, but I don't know how it's not a handball.
    yes, his hand clearly touched the ball, redirecting it to his leg or foot. No doubt whatsoever (and I was root g for the Croats).

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    IMHO (where the H, which was present in Rio, failed to make the trip to Russia), neither call was outrageously bad. Griezmann went down a bit too easily -- but he is a big-time player (and Michael Jordan pushed off all the time). The hand ball was obviously a "hand hitting a ball" -- gotta have some discipline, Croatia. I would sympathize heavily with Croatia, however, if not for those two gorgeous goals by Mbappe and Pogba, which showed that France could generate some offense on its own.
    I agree completely. The foul on the first goal was questionable but he was not writhing in pain selling it like on so many other similar "fouls" in the World Cup.

The hand ball was a hand ball. From what I could tell, there was a French player right behind him who might have been able to score if the ball hadn't been touched and made it to him.

As you noted, the other two goals made me feel less bad about these. I was rooting for Croatia and they outplayed France much of the game, but I have no issues with how they lost.

I have played, watched, reffed, and coached a LOT of soccer across different levels and geographies, including multiple countries. I feel pretty comfortable that the handball was as clear as day. Bad luck, but it happens. I was strongly pulling for Croatia.

I think the Croatian keeper could have done better; he may have still been hurt from the last game.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Griezmann was going down on the first foul without contact. But it wasn't a dive. If you look at his right foot, he lost traction(as happened to several players over the course of the game) and it so happen his non weight supporting foot was also clipped by the defender. And defenders know, is your arm isn't behind your back or tucked in, if it hits it, its likely a PK. And one of the frenchmen was right behind where the ball was headed were it not striking the arm.

I was hoping for a Croatia win, and thought they performed better than I expected, but France put away the opportunities they created and deserved that win.

It actually looks like the hand ball may have been intentional, crazy as that sounds. The best replay is the one shown after the PK. There you can see the player with his arm about shoulder level, then bringing it down to meet the ball. As the ball glances off his hand, it changes direction from a gentle glide path to a steep slope down to his leg. Slow motion helps if you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    I have played, watched, reffed, and coached a LOT of soccer across different levels and geographies, including multiple countries. I feel pretty comfortable that the handball was as clear as day. Bad luck, but it happens. I was strongly pulling for Croatia.

I think the Croatian keeper could have done better; he may have still been hurt from the last game.
    I wasn’t happy with the Croatian keeper, but I thought it was his decision making that was questionable. On the PK, the shooter had scored 2 PKs earlier in the tournament, going left both times. So why did the keeper play for him to go right? On the 3rd French goal, there were two defenders who may have been able to block a shot to the center or right of the goal - only the left side of the goal was open. So why did the keeper leave the left side to defend the part of the goal where he had help? The 4th French goal was another shot to the left, but this time there was only one defender helping protect the other side.

My Take

I don't know much about soccer but certainly enjoyed much of the World Cup.

For me the hand ball call was correct, the penalty kick that led to the first goal was not. The last two French goals were fun to watch.

I wish there was some way to just human officiating error without turning the games into a hours long nonsense of reviews but I guess there is not.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I don't know much about soccer but certainly enjoyed much of the World Cup.

For me the hand ball call was correct, the penalty kick that led to the first goal was not. The last two French goals were fun to watch.

I wish there was some way to just human officiating error without turning the games into a hours long nonsense of reviews but I guess there is not.

SoCal
    Even with the benefit of review and no pressure to make a decision, people aren't agreeing on the foul and handball. So, I think we just have to accept that when things are subject to judgment, we are all at some point going to disagree with some calls and learn to appreciate it as part of the randomness and capriciousness of sport. But Boozer was fouled.

Angry

But Boozer was fouled.
    Darn @#$# right he was. :-(

Even with the benefit of review and no pressure to make a decision, people aren't agreeing on the foul and handball. So, I think we just have to accept that when things are subject to judgment, we are all at some point going to disagree with some calls and learn to appreciate it as part of the randomness and capriciousness of sport. But Boozer was fouled.
    Agreed.

Opinions vary and those who disagree with me are allowed to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    I wasn’t happy with the Croatian keeper, but I thought it was his decision making that was questionable. On the PK, the shooter had scored 2 PKs earlier in the tournament, going left both times. So why did the keeper play for him to go right? On the 3rd French goal, there were two defenders who may have been able to block a shot to the center or right of the goal - only the left side of the goal was open. So why did the keeper leave the left side to defend the part of the goal where he had help? The 4th French goal was another shot to the left, but this time there was only one defender helping protect the other side.
    I agree with you on the PK, but I fault him for both the 3rd and 4th French goals. Both of those were taken from distance, and to be honest, were not particularly well struck.

On the 3rd goal, every keeper is taught never to give up the near post. If they beat you, make them beat you on the far post. He cheated and was moving left well before the ball was struck, then recovered horribly. He didn't even come close. I think most professional keepers save that shot.

On the 4th, again, he's beat by a shot from, what, 25 yards out that is not particularly powerful or well-placed? Nor were the shots off crosses where he might have been moving / not expecting them.

There have been so many shots this WC that the keeper had absolutely not chance at. The first Croatian goal was one of them. That might have been the nicest goal of the tournament, due mainly to 5 or so beautiful plays to set it up, and an excellent finish.

Corner Kick vs Penalty Kick

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I agree completely. The foul on the first goal was questionable but he was not writhing in pain selling it like on so many other similar "fouls" in the World Cup.

The hand ball was a hand ball. From what I could tell, there was a French player right behind him who might have been able to score if the ball hadn't been touched and made it to him.

As you noted, the other two goals made me feel less bad about these. I was rooting for Croatia and they outplayed France much of the game, but I have no issues with how they lost.
    Maybe the ref should be able to award a corner kick on less intentional or consequential violations and the penalty kick reserved for major violations.

SoCal