Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    But some of them are absurd. Za is the worst offender. Does anyone actually call pizza that?
    A bunch of guys did when I was at Duke. Mid-Atlantic people mostly. Haven't heard it in many years though.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    A bunch of guys did when I was at Duke. Mid-Atlantic people mostly. Haven't heard it in many years though.
    If it ain’t “pie” or “a slice” it ain’t real.

Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    'I'm good' in answer to 'how are you doing?' just grates on me, seems just a wrong use of the words, should be 'I'm fine', or 'well.
    Nope, it’s a common misconception that “I’m good” is grammatically incorrect, but it’s actually fine (unless you are talking about health, then “well” should be used). In many circles, “good” is actually preferred to “well” as “well” implies talking about health while good is more general feeling.

http://www.write.com/writing-guides/general-writing/word-choice/im-good-versus-im-well/

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/good-versus-well

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-are-you-im-good-is-acceptable-reply-2014-2

http://www.mcelroytutoring.com/blog-post.php?id=4163

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    How has nobody said onomatopoeia? It's fun to say...
    ...and spell! Did anyone else learn to do it using the mnemonic device, Yoko Ono threw a tomato at Edgar Allan Poe In America? Or was that just my crazy 7th grade teacher? Well, I give him credit 'cause I never forgot!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    ...and spell! Did anyone else learn to do it using the mnemonic device, Yoko Ono threw a tomato at Edgar Allan Poe In America? Or was that just my crazy 7th grade teacher? Well, I give him credit 'cause I never forgot!
    Hey whatever works! I was never taught that... I honestly had to Google it (was off by 1 letter).
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I think that mnemonic device would have made it harder for me to remember the spelling, but glad it worked for you! It is certainly a creative one.

What's the mnemonic for schadenfreude?

That one usually gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    What's the mnemonic for schadenfreude?

That one usually gives me the heebie-jeebies.
    The hilarious show Avenue Q has a very funny song about Schadenfraude. They spell it at the end of the song.

Hate: widget
    Like: miasma, callipygian

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    … Here's another one I don't like. "Gotcha." Again, a fairly recent development. Takes the place of "I understand," "OK," "I get it now," "I'll do that for you," and any number of other perfectly good phrases.

"I'm trying to tell you that the Tarheels suck."
    "Gotcha."

"I need you to pick up a gallon of milk on the way home."
    "Gotcha."

"The derivative of 3x squared is 6x."
    "Gotcha."

I guess there is nothing particularly heinous about "gotcha," but give it a rest already!

Roger

"The way he pushed them together, the boxes created a massive little edifice.

'I think that's just about it,' said Mr. Armory. 'Thank you very much, Kim.'

'No problem,' said the young man, who was already heading out the door with the dolly."

I Am Chalotte Simmons p. 70.

I like a word that hasn't been used on this board since 2013. I don't know why. It seems a very useful word.

Balderdash!

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Hate: widget
    Like: miasma, callipygian
    Good likes.

Like: "Cringey" -- learned it from my kids. Some of the disliked words in this thread are totally cringey.

"Examples: I see you drop something and hand it to you. -Why thank me for that? It's in no way an inconvenience or an ordeal."

I'll disagree to this extent, when I hold a door for another and don't get recognition for it, I have a negative feeling immediately. Rarely happens, but just saying...

I'm all about common courtesy and with that, common recognition for it. Just good manners.

Least favorite words, sayings:
    Someone saying they've been "disrespected" (can't disrespect someone I didn't respect, or even know, previously).
    Many sayings heard from athletes interviewed demonstrating incredibly poor interview skills, including the use of "like" and "um" multiple times in one sentence.
    Other pet peeve is young folks these days not understanding that speaking quickly means you're demonstrating intelligence versus having more fluid speaking skills, learning pauses, and thinking before spewing demonstrates more intelligent speaking.

I do want to know, when did the terms, "vetted" and others commonly used with the media come out? Never heard those about 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    "Examples: I see you drop something and hand it to you. -Why thank me for that? It's in no way an inconvenience or an ordeal."

I'll disagree to this extent, when I hold a door for another and don't get recognition for it, I have a negative feeling immediately. Rarely happens, but just saying...

I'm all about common courtesy and with that, common recognition for it. Just good manners.

Least favorite words, sayings:
    Someone saying they've been "disrespected" (can't disrespect someone I didn't respect, or even know, previously).
    Many sayings heard from athletes interviewed demonstrating incredibly poor interview skills, including the use of "like" and "um" multiple times in one sentence.
    Other pet peeve is young folks these days not understanding that speaking quickly means you're demonstrating intelligence versus having more fluid speaking skills, learning pauses, and thinking before spewing demonstrates more intelligent speaking.

I do want to know, when did the terms, "vetted" and others commonly used with the media come out? Never heard those about 3 years ago.
    I'll admit that when I do that and someone doesn't say thank you, depending on my mood, I will utter "you're welcome." I guess it gives me some satisfaction.

Ideas have been "vetted" during my career for years. (Not in media)

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    The pervasive use of adjectives when adverbs should be used. This is not just done by the uneducated, but by many in the media who should know better. Just add -ly people!

Actually, the worst word now is Actually. Grotesquely over used. Q:"Is the bread fresh today?" A: "Actually we don't have any fresh bread today." Actually he's not here right now; actually we open at 5pm;
    Actually I expect him in later. Enuff already.

“Last Call”

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    “Last Call”
    "My Daddy is the Sheriff"