What's in a name?

So, I happened across this article in The Atlantic on the most popular baby names for 2017...

What fascinated me was this fact...

another trend in the government’s data sticks out: Today’s most popular names aren’t nearly as popular as the top names of yesteryear. Emma and Liam were at the top of 2017’s list, but they were assigned to relatively few babies: to roughly 1 percent of baby girls and to 0.95 percent of baby boys, respectively, based on social-security data. By comparison, the most popular names six decades ago—Mary and Michael—were much more common, given to roughly 3 percent of girls and 4.2 percent of boys.
    I don't know if it is more diversity in society or what, but the fact that there are just a lot more names out there is kinda interesting to me.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I liked this on "elite popularity": https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-el...-50-baby-names

There’s also all the “new” spellings of old names. I think that messes with these lists too.

My name used to be a top one, but you never see it anymore. Joseph has pretty much fallen off the map in the last few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    My name used to be a top one, but you never see it anymore. Joseph has pretty much fallen off the map in the last few decades.
    My name (Michael) fell off the charts after a 37-year run of pure dominance. Sigh...

ETA: And if you discount the one year in which David somehow bribed somebody at the Social Security Administration (1960) that run goes another 7 years back to 1954.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    My name (Michael) fell off the charts after a 37-year run of pure dominance. Sigh...

ETA: And if you discount the one year in which David somehow bribed somebody at the Social Security Administration (1960) that run goes another 7 years back to 1954.
    I hear ya. Back in the 70's when I was in school, it was very common for there to be three Marks in any given class. Now, I rarely see it.

Looking at the list above, Evelyn was my grandmother's name. It has come full circle so the classics will be back too after we are gone and people name their kids after us.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I hear ya. Back in the 70's when I was in school, it was very common for there to be three Marks in any given class. Now, I rarely see it.

Looking at the list above, Evelyn was my grandmother's name. It has come full circle so the classics will be back too after we are gone and people name their kids after us.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. I am counting on a grandkid being named after me, and being there to enjoy it!

Never mind that my kids rarely do what I am counting on, although the surprises are often better.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. I am counting on a grandkid being named after me, and being there to enjoy it!
    Perhaps Reddevil is Jewish, as am I, where we do not name a child after a living being. I'm not sure if that's actually a religious thing or a tradition thing, but I haven't ever heard of Jews naming children after living relatives.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Perhaps Reddevil is Jewish, as am I, where we do not name a child after a living being. I'm not sure if that's actually a religious thing or a tradition thing, but I haven't ever heard of Jews naming children after living relatives.
    That is correct. Jews only name children after those who are deceased - that is why there are no Jewish Juniors (in case you were wondering whether MBIII was Jewish). We took the tradition to be the same first letter as the name of a deceased relative, which I believe is what many others do. Living in a heavily Jewish area, I have noticed that there are a lot of little kids now with names from their great-grandparents generation. We wanted to honor people who we cared a lot about but whose names we didn't particularly like so largely used the first letter approach.

I agree with the poster above that alternate spellings have diversified the pool of names, as has the adoption of names that traditionally belonged to one gender for the other gender.

Well society has also changed from people wanting to "fit in" or just be "normal" to being different or trying to stand out more. Being apart of the crowd is no longer the cool thing, the cool thing now is to standout as much as possible and flaunt your differences. Names are just another part of standing out. I bet most of the people making these kids names now are millennials.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Well society has also changed from people wanting to "fit in" or just be "normal" to being different or trying to stand out more. Being apart of the crowd is no longer the cool thing, the cool thing now is to standout as much as possible and flaunt your differences. Names are just another part of standing out. I bet most of the people making these kids names now are millennials.
    I will line up to blame millenials for those few things that the boomers didn’t break, but us GenXers put a lot of these names on the map.

Not me, of course. My kids are safely in the 40-50 range. Nice promise, but unlikely to be one and done.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Oh, now we are adding names to the long list of things millennials have ruined?

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Oh, now we are adding names to the long list of things millennials have ruined?
    Not what I meant but I assume this was in jest.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Dips()&t Knight has a nice ring to it.