Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, Kwahi for Deng works straight up under the cap, but that deal ain't gonna happen.

Kwahi plus Bryn Forbes for Deng, Ball, and Kuzma also works under the cap. If you throw in a trade asset or two, that might interest San Antonio.

If the Spurs are really greedy, maybe they ask for all the Lakers young studs and not Luol Deng... Leonard for Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, and a couple other throw in salaries (Josh Hart and Tyler Innis) also works under the cap. If I was San Antonio, that is what I would try to get. I think the Lakers would probably make that deal too because having Kwahi would make them a very desirable destination for Lebron and PG13. Then you fill the rest of the roster with vets who are ring chasing and willing to take smaller salaries.
    If the Lakers can swing Kawhi and keep one of Ingram/Ball/Kuzma, that's a great day.

If they have to trade all three, knowing it brings George and/or James, you dont hesitate. You pull that trigger!

But then the Lakers are left with $100 million split between the big three, and Luol Deng (waived, stretched) plus roster filler. It might be a year before they can fill out the roster to compete. James and George would be smart to sign shorter deals for less so they can add veterans.

Deng's contract would work on the Spurs because they are still trying to win and he's actually a good player, even if over the hill. The Lakers benched him to give minutes to the young guys, but he'd be an asset for the Spurs next season, then they could trade his expiring deal the following year if they really wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I agree this is what the Spurs should angle for. I am just baffled by what the Lakers would be left with. Is a year older LBJ, Paul George, and Leonard with a mysterious injury with no support better than LBJ, Love, and JR Smith with middling pieces?
    If Leonard is fully recovered, then I think the LBJ/PG/Leonard/BI quartet would be a handful for anyone, including the Warriors. JR Smith and especially Love have had value in the past, but they are much less valuable in today's game. Also, JR Smith stunk this year, even before his brain-cramp. In contrast, the posited Laker quartet offers shooting, passing and tremendous defensive potential.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Can San Antonio take Lonzo Ball but force the Lakers to keep his father?

Is that covered by the CBA?
    Only if they throw in a draft pick - any pick.

Packages for Kawhi

Assuming Kawhi would consider long term deals in other places and his goal is to compete now - which deal would the Spurs want?

Sixers - Fultz, Covington
    Celtics - Jaylen Brown, 2019 Kings picks, 2019 Grizzlies pick
    Lakers - Deng, Ball, Kuzma

I am not sure how trading picks counts towards making salaries work, but Boston seems to have more enticing assets to offer. I doubt Kawhi wants to go to Boston, given the Lakers were the team named today.

Also, what are the odds a team takes a flyer for one year on Kawhi? OKC did for Paul George this year. Non-destination teams could do it - maybe Portland, Milwaukee, Sacramento.

So I remember hearing rumblings all season about a rift between Kawhi and the Spurs, but I have to admit, I am totally out of the loop on how it got this far.

Can anyone explain the basics to me? What caused the relationship to sour so badly?

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    So I remember hearing rumblings all season about a rift between Kawhi and the Spurs, but I have to admit, I am totally out of the loop on how it got this far.

Can anyone explain the basics to me? What caused the relationship to sour so badly?
    Pop blames it on Kawhi's "people."

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post

Disagreement over the handling of his quad injury. This story is sad to me as I think Kawhi owes a TON of credit to the Spurs organization for his development into arguably the best two way player in the game. They turned him into a much better shooter and offensive player than most would have predicted; to go along with his All world defense.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Deng's contract would work on the Spurs because they are still trying to win and he's actually a good player, even if over the hill. The Lakers benched him to give minutes to the young guys, but he'd be an asset for the Spurs next season, then they could trade his expiring deal the following year if they really wanted.
    Is he actually still a good player? Darned if I know. He's 33, has a lot of mileage on him, has had more than his share of injuries and got paid a boatload of money last season for sitting on the bench and twiddling his thumbs.

Figuratively.

He may still have some mileage left. But I'm not sure we have a good read on that. Future utility as a player is very much TBD, I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Disagreement over the handling of his quad injury. This story is sad to me as I think Kawhi owes a TON of credit to the Spurs organization for his development into arguably the best two way player in the game. They turned him into a much better shooter and offensive player than most would have predicted; to go along with his All world defense.
    It would be amusing if LA were to keep Ball and bring in Kawhi and Bron. Wonder how the entourages would coexist?

I wonder if he still thinks he is a soldier.
    I'm curious as to what this means?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I'm curious as to what this means?
    Let's let Mr. Winslow explain.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    Yes, well aware of that clip. But reading your post I'm curious if a reasonable interpretation of it is to equate his current alleged behavior (kidnap, rape and burglary) with that of a soldier?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Yes, well aware of that clip. But reading your post I'm curious if a reasonable interpretation of it is to equate his current alleged behavior (kidnap, rape and burglary) with that of a soldier?
    Didn’t mean anything by it. Sorry if I offended anyone. I wasn’t connecting those behaviors to a soldier I was just making fun of Winslow. I didn’t read it in a way that anyone would equate the two. I have the utmost respect for our military. I was just taking a jab at Winslow. In no way, shape, or form was it in anyway related to the actual military.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Pop blames it on Kawhi's "people."
    I heard on the radio today that the "people" is mainly his uncle(?) and that's also where the going to the Lakers stuff is coming from. And that Kawhi and Pop didn't have their meeting yet... and haven't said anything yet...

Yup. Chip Engelland in particular invested a lot of time with Kawhi, to very positive effect.

Disagreement over the handling of his quad injury.
    From what I understand, Leonard stopped accepting the advice of the team doctors and instead started seeing his own doctor (who also has connections with the Brooklyn Nets). There was disagreement over whether it was initially diagnosed properly. There was also disagreement over whether he was physically unable to play or whether he was simply choosing to sit out. He had been medically cleared to play by the Spurs doctors since January. Then he didn’t accompany the team to their playoff games, choosing to continue his treatment rather than cheering them on from the bench.

It’s definitely a sad situation. Leonard’s development into a star and his relationship with the Spurs organization was one of the best storylines in the NBA, and now it has all fallen apart.

As mock GM of the Spurs, I did some digging into this. I'm not a fan of Kawhi's "group", as Pop likes to call them. His agent is Mitch Frankel, who spent most of his time repping football players and is trying to leverage Kawhi into expanding into basketball, with little success. His uncle, Dennis Robertson, is fiercely loyal like a good uncle should be, but is also trying to build Kawhi's marketing presence, so San Antonio probably isn't his favorite spot on the globe.
    Leonard's decision to reach out to Dr. Jonathan Glashow was poorly handled, and I suspect Frankel's past experience with the generally adversarial relationship between football players and team doctors had a lot to do with it.

Just the other day, there were articles out saying that things were "thawing" between Kawhi and the Spurs, and that Pop and Kawhi would be having a conversation. So Leonard's people had to counter-leak that he wants out to keep their leverage. All this is fixable if Pop and Kawhi can get in a room alone.

We have learned there are a few great blunders to avoid:
    1. Never get involved in a land war in Asia
    2. Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line
    3. Never question the professionalism of the San Antonio Spurs

4. Don’t always take your uncle’s advice if it’s contrary to the ethical team you are playing on.

I was just thinking about the Kwahi, Lebron, PG13, Ingram possibility. That is 4 guys who could easily switch everything on defense and be able to cover just about anyone they were switched onto. If they add one more solid 6-6 to 6-9 guy with their mid-level exemption then they might have the ultimate switch everything lineup. All those guys can handle and distribute like a PG, rebound like a big man, and shoot solidly from 3. Scary good... even if their bench would be among the worst in the NBA.

-Jason "I've heard talk about Kawhi for Heyward and a pick (or perhaps Heyward and Scary Terry, though you would need some salary cap filler from the Spurs to make that work)" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I was just thinking about the Kwahi, Lebron, PG13, Ingram possibility. That is 4 guys who could easily switch everything on defense and be able to cover just about anyone they were switched onto. If they add one more solid 6-6 to 6-9 guy with their mid-level exemption then they might have the ultimate switch everything lineup. All those guys can handle and distribute like a PG, rebound like a big man, and shoot solidly from 3. Scary good... even if their bench would be among the worst in the NBA.

-Jason "I've heard talk about Kawhi for Heyward and a pick (or perhaps Heyward and Scary Terry, though you would need some salary cap filler from the Spurs to make that work)" Evans
    Wow, the Celtics would be scary I’m that case. I find the Lakers scenario the only relastic scenario that would put Lebron in a position to challenge the Warriors. Reports are that Houston isn’t a likely scenario and they have to do a lot of finagling to make that happen while also losing a good chunk of their core. It looks to me like Lebron may have to be willing to go somewhere and build that team up to challenge in year 2 or 3. That could also combine with Klay or Draymond leaving somehow making the Warriors more vulnerable down the road.

Problem is, Lebron is playing at a high level (not a good enough word to describe it). With Lebron’s age and mileage, realistically how much longer can Lebron expect to compete? I’ve never seen anything like the way he is playing after 15 years in the league.