Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I think plenty of teams would. Just likely not any of the teams he already burned bridges with.
    Yeah, at a cheap price, he is valuable (though the talk that his Hawks and Hornet teammates hated him has got to weigh on his value).

If he could just focus on offensive rebounding, protecting the rim, and dunking I could see him fitting in pretty nicely on whatever team gets Lebron. He could be a nice upgrade on Tristan Thompson.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, at a cheap price, he is valuable (though the talk that his Hawks and Hornet teammates hated him has got to weigh on his value).

If he could just focus on offensive rebounding, protecting the rim, and dunking I could see him fitting in pretty nicely on whatever team gets Lebron. He could be a nice upgrade on Tristan Thompson.
    Yeah, if, for example, the Lakers add George and James in free agency, I could see Howard being a really effective vet minimum guy there. He's absolutely a better version of what a guy like Thompson provides. And with Ingram, George, and James (not to mention Kuzma, Ball, and Hart if the Lakers don't trade), there'd be no pressure on Howard to do anything but get boards, get blocks, and catch lobs.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, if, for example, the Lakers add George and James in free agency, I could see Howard being a really effective vet minimum guy there. He's absolutely a better version of what a guy like Thompson provides. And with Ingram, George, and James (not to mention Kuzma, Ball, and Hart if the Lakers don't trade), there'd be no pressure on Howard to do anything but get boards, get blocks, and catch lobs.
    Hasn't the problem for the last few years been that Howard does not want that role? He'd be perfect for it, but instead he demands post touches, pouts, and ignores the plays called by the coach. He'll be engaged for a stretch and then disappear for the next. And also the Lakers might be one of those teams he's burned bridges wtih.

If he's bought out I think contending teams will stay away, but maybe teams desperate to make the playoffs could sign up.

So a team desperate to make the playoffs and no stranger to dysfunction...yup, I could see him on the Knicks.

So, how bad is Dwight Howard... within hours of trading for him, the Nets have entered into negotiations to buy out the rest of his contract. Whew... I wonder what the market will be like for him as a free agent? Will folks even want to pay him the vet minimum?
    Wish the Hornets would have just bought him out instead of absorbing Mosgov's salary to get rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Hasn't the problem for the last few years been that Howard does not want that role? He'd be perfect for it, but instead he demands post touches, pouts, and ignores the plays called by the coach. He'll be engaged for a stretch and then disappear for the next. And also the Lakers might be one of those teams he's burned bridges wtih.

If he's bought out I think contending teams will stay away, but maybe teams desperate to make the playoffs could sign up.

So a team desperate to make the playoffs and no stranger to dysfunction...yup, I could see him on the Knicks.
    In the past, he's done that. I didn't see him do that too much this season.

But then again, I don't watch a ton of Hornets games, because I value my time.

In the past, he's done that. I didn't see him do that too much this season.

But then again, I don't watch a ton of Hornets games, because I value my time.
    There has also been the “I am the best player on the team” issue at most stops (LA excluded; he was just a bad fit for the triangle). If he joined LeBron, that would decidedly cease to be the case. Presumably if he was joining LeBron, he would be ring chasing and thus more willing to submit to a lesser role.

There has also been the “I am the best player on the team” issue at most stops (LA excluded; he was just a bad fit for the triangle). If he joined LeBron, that would decidedly cease to be the case. Presumably if he was joining LeBron, he would be ring chasing and thus more willing to submit to a lesser role.
    Wasn't that supposed to be the setup in Houston with Harden? That didn't work out so well IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Wasn't that supposed to be the setup in Houston with Harden? That didn't work out so well IIRC.
    That was established star Howard and just starting to establish himself Harden. Not ring-chasing vet Howard joining under LeBron and George. Look, I think skepticism is reasonable. But I think it is also reasonable to see a scenario where he is ready to defer.

That was established star Howard and just starting to establish himself Harden. Not ring-chasing vet Howard joining under LeBron and George. Look, I think skepticism is reasonable. But I think it is also reasonable to see a scenario where he is ready to defer.
    No doubt deferring to Lebron is a different ask than deferring to a 23 YO Harden. But I do think it was clear when Howard signed with Houston that the Beard - coming off a season in which he averaged 26, 5 and 6 - was going to be the Alpha/Batman. And Howard was definitely not willing to defer, at least not to the satisfaction of anyone in the Rockets organization. It is certainly reasonable to believe he is now ready and willing to defer, under the right circumstances. But put me in the skeptical camp.

So if Dwight is going for all 30 - does this count as having been with the Nets?

Howard has always produced statistically.

It's the plays-well-with-others-part of the equation where he tends to fall short.

Over/Under 1.5 all star or higher caliber players get traded tonight - how would y'all bet?

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdevil View Post
    Over/Under 1.5 all star or higher caliber players get traded tonight - how would y'all bet?
    Under. I am frequently underwhelmed by the caliber of deals on draft day.

I'll never understand how Mozgov got such a huge contract after showing nearly nothing in his career. There were plenty of other crappy 7 footers you could have thrown less money at.

And if I'm Kemba. I'm demanding to be traded from that dumpster fire.
    Under Mitch Kupchak (secretly UNC's answer to Duke's Billy King in the bad NBA GM department -- sorry Billy, loved your D), the Lakers' lack of investment in analytics cost them. You could almost see how, lacking analytics, the hamster wheel in Kupchak's mind could churn in a way to fall in love with Mozgov. Afterall, there had a been a recent Cavs playoff run where Mozgov was the poster boy for Verticality (arms straight up). TNT and ESPN kept cutting away to replays of Mozgov performing rock-solid verticality rim protection, which is the one skill he's good at. If Kupchak had invested in analytics, his team might've told him that outside of playing defense right around the rim and jumping up with his arms straight up, Mozgov is pretty bad at every other facet of baketball.

In the Kawhi Leonard soap opera, RC Buford said the vanilla, politically correct polite things about how their first option was to keep Kawhi with the team.

Then ex-Spur Bruce Bowen rips Kawhi on Sirius, essentially telling him to "grow a pair and speak up".

Kawhi has never said a word - why?

The mock Spurs GM is well pleased.

Willie Cauley Stein says Harry will be rookie of the year

https://youtu.be/zSkviWwBEMs

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

It would be really sweet to see Harry competing for this award against Marvin and Wendell.

Harry seemed like a good kid. I hope he has recovered and will shine this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

I would love for that to happen. Someone posted a video a few months ago of a healthy Harry working out...wow did he look good. I suspect that Harry will be one of the great 'what if' stories for Duke fans (see Irving, Kyrie).

NBA Awards

Harden wins MVP, no surprise. He deserved it.

But I think it is worth noting right now that Lebron has not won the MVP award in 6 years. The last time Bronie won MVP, the Knicks were one of the best teams in the NBA (won 54 games, 2nd best record in the East). I get that voters want to find something new, but it is sorta absurd that Lebron has not won the MVP at all in the past 5 seasons even though we would all agree he was the best player in the game in each of those seasons.

Lebron only has 4 MVP awards in his career. That ties him with Wilt for the 4th most of all time. Jordan and Russell have 5 and Kareem has 6 MVP awards.

-Jason "meanwhile, Ben Simmons won ROY, Oladipo was Most Improved, Gobert was Defensive POY, and fired Dwayne Casey was COY" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Harden wins MVP, no surprise. He deserved it.

But I think it is worth noting right now that Lebron has not won the MVP award in 6 years. The last time Bronie won MVP, the Knicks were one of the best teams in the NBA (won 54 games, 2nd best record in the East). I get that voters want to find something new, but it is sorta absurd that Lebron has not won the MVP at all in the past 5 seasons even though we would all agree he was the best player in the game in each of those seasons.

Lebron only has 4 MVP awards in his career. That ties him with Wilt for the 4th most of all time. Jordan and Russell have 5 and Kareem has 6 MVP awards.

-Jason "meanwhile, Ben Simmons won ROY, Oladipo was Most Improved, Gobert was Defensive POY, and fired Dwayne Casey was COY" Evans
    Ironic that with Lebron's total you mention Wilt, Jordan, Russell and Kareem since all of those guys are on the list of 'greatest ever' in front of Lebron.

<laughs, ducks>