Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).

London Accomodations (specifically the University of London)

So I am lucky enough to be spending next summer in Britain. I'll be leaving in late May and making my way to Scotland for some fun (I'll visit family and will also spend some time drinking in Glasgow). After that I'll be heading down to Bristol to see some family and to do some research at the British Empire and Commonwealth Museum.

Once that is done I'll be making my way to London. I am not a fan of big cities at all, but I truly adore London. I love everything about the place so I am really looking forward to being able to spend a summer there (haven't been there since November and December of 2005).

I'll be there with two other PhD candidates from my department so we will be staying together. We're thinking of staying in one of the University of London's residences (one in particular) because they are so damned cheap and are usually in convenient locations (another benefit is that we can get a 3-bedroom apartment together and not have to room with people we do not know). But none of us have ever stayed in them so I was wondering if anyone here has done so and, if so, what was your experience like?

What you'll find in Scotland is that pub bartenders don't think its weird that you're there at 10 in the morning. And you will not be the first one there.

I hope you play golf. Links are fun.
    ~rthomas

im jealous dude, i love the city myself and spent a summer there working during college (best summer of my life)
    the only thing i know is that i new someone who stayed in one of the halls (connaught i think) and said the neighborhood could be kind of rough in patches (somewhat near kings cross and euston i think)== but that was 15 years ago, so a lot could have changed
    have fun

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    What you'll find in Scotland is that pub bartenders don't think its weird that you're there at 10 in the morning. And you will not be the first one there.

I hope you play golf. Links are fun.
    Oh I know...my family is Scottish and I've been there before (I was last up there when I was in London in late 2005). And they serve rye in what has become my local in my hometown so I am set!

I actually come from the home of golf so yes, I play a lot while I am there. And no, I am not from St. Andrew's. I'm from Ayrshire (Mom is from Ayr, Dad is from Kilwinning, and I lived in Ayr as a child) and you won't find better golf anywhere. The first British Open was played at Prestwick which is in Ayrshire (actually, the first 12, and 15 of the first 21 British Opens were played there and the course is still open). Royal Troon and Turnberry (site of the 2009 Open) are also in Ayrshire. I didn't play Royal Troon last time I was there but I was able to walk the course which was special enough.

It is pretty interesting to take the train from Glasgow down to Ayr (takes about 50 minutes) because, as soon as you are out of the Glasgow area, all you see out the windows are golf courses the whole way along. For a golfer, it is a little piece of heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
    im jealous dude, i love the city myself and spent a summer there working during college (best summer of my life)
    the only thing i know is that i new someone who stayed in one of the halls (connaught i think) and said the neighborhood could be kind of rough in patches (somewhat near kings cross and euston i think)== but that was 15 years ago, so a lot could have changed
    have fun
    We are probably staying at one (Claredale House) which is located in Bethnal Green. Normally, I stay in the West End (Paddington usually) so I am looking forward to staying elsewhere this time.

I'm also seriously considering moving over there when I'm done the PhD. If I can get a teaching job fine. If not, I'll just work for the government or in a museum or something. Luckily I have citizenship (I don't actually have a Canadian passport despite being born here...my passport is British) so I won't have any problems emigrating if I choose to do so.

Add me to the roles of the extremely jealous of all your planned activities.

Glasgow is a great city, and Glaswegians were unflaggingly nice to me as an American; they seemed to like us on the whole (though that may have changed in the last decade). I think it had something to do with the fact that Americans actually had the courage to say bollocks to the King, something they've wanted to do for centuries.

Catch a Rangers game while you're there! (Or a Celtics game, depending on your allegiances.)

After posting, I see that you're probably well acquainted with the joys of all things Glasgow, but still, have a great trip!
    Last edited by DevilAlumna; 10-26-2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: (afterthought.)

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Add me to the roles of the extremely jealous of all your planned activities.

Glasgow is a great city, and Glaswegians were unflaggingly nice to me as an American; they seemed to like us on the whole (though that may have changed in the last decade). I think it had something to do with the fact that Americans actually had the courage to say bollocks to the King, something they've wanted to do for centuries.

Catch a Rangers game while you're there! (Or a Celtics game, depending on your allegiances.)

After posting, I see that you're probably well acquainted with the joys of all things Glasgow, but still, have a great trip!
    Thanks, I'm sure I will have a great trip.

And, although I am sure my Dad would prefer I attend a Rangers game, if I did go to one it would be Celtic as I was raised Catholic (my father, however, is a Protestant and thus a Rangers fan). Not that I care about either religion or soccer, but my Mom's family would take me to see Celtic (as they've tried to do before).

As for being acquainted with all things Glasgow...I'm actually not. I haven't spent much time there in the past as I was always travelling to see other parts of the country. Glasgow is just up the way a little bit so I never really bothered with it as it is easy to get to from Ayr. This time, I'll definitely be spending more time there.

I can't speak to the area you are moving to, but I would say that if you can get a 3 bedroom for cheap, then by all means, go for it. My wife and I had a 2 bedroom in Holborn, and it was insane - rent was more than our mortgage on a house 4 times bigger.

If you need any insight on the area around Covent garden, I can give you some - that was my haunt for six months in '03. Of course, it could all be out of date by now. Except the chippy. The chippy we went to can't be closed, or the world would be in shambles. I am sure that this specific chippy helps hold the fabric of the universe together.

Exiled

I stayed in Univ. of London dorms in Bloomsbury for a few days back in '02 (they rent out the empty ones when school isn't in session). Closet-like (I don't exaggerate), but I enjoyed staying there. They serve at least breakfast every day, and there's a nice, congenial atmosphere. Faculty members often dine with the students. But don't expect to be able to get much in the way of possessions into those tiny rooms.

I envy you your British citizenship. I'd move to London in a heartbeat if I had it. What a great place.

I had a GREAT time as a grad student abroad in the UK. I was up in Nottingham though, so I can't help you with respect to London accomodations that extend beyond a weekend. Still, I eny you the trip. Enjoy yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    I'm also seriously considering moving over there when I'm done the PhD. If I can get a teaching job fine. If not, I'll just work for the government or in a museum or something. Luckily I have citizenship (I don't actually have a Canadian passport despite being born here...my passport is British) so I won't have any problems emigrating if I choose to do so.
    So completely jealous! It's totally my dream to be able to live in London.

Quote Originally Posted by BluDevilGal View Post
    So completely jealous! It's totally my dream to be able to live in London.
    Just marry someone with citizenship and you're good to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    I can't speak to the area you are moving to, but I would say that if you can get a 3 bedroom for cheap, then by all means, go for it. My wife and I had a 2 bedroom in Holborn, and it was insane - rent was more than our mortgage on a house 4 times bigger.
    The place we'll be renting costs £84-£100 per person per week depending on the size of the room you want within the apartment. I figure we'll end up paying £93 each per week for rooms that are approximately 9x10.4 square metres (we can get 10.5x11.9 rooms for £96 per week). The apartments have their own bathrooms, showers, kitchen etc. The kitchen is great because we'll save a ton of money in a self-catering place over what we would have to spend to eat out every day.

If you need any insight on the area around Covent garden, I can give you some - that was my haunt for six months in '03. Of course, it could all be out of date by now. Except the chippy. The chippy we went to can't be closed, or the world would be in shambles. I am sure that this specific chippy helps hold the fabric of the universe together.
    We will be spending Canada Day 2008 at the Maple Leaf tavern in Covent Garden so that should be fun (although I've heard the party isn't quite as good as it used to be). I've spent a little time in Covent Garden, but not as much as I would've liked so yeah, I would appreciate your insights.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Just marry someone with citizenship and you're good to go!!
    Trust me, I've thought of that. Just haven't found him yet. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by BluDevilGal View Post
    Trust me, I've thought of that. Just haven't found him yet. ;-)
    Go hang out at British-style pubs. They seem the most likely place.