Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think it’s more like guys who are guaranteed top-5 picks do not play at the combine. There are still lottery pick-level guys who attend.
    Again, attending (getting measured or maybe doing some agility/athleticism drills) is very different from playing in the games. You absolutely will not see likely lottery picks playing in the combine scrimmages. Your notion of Carter playing and boosting his stock is not gonna happen. No way.

Here are the rosters from last year's scrimmages. There isn't a single likely first rounder in the bunch:

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Gotcha - when I hear someone say “accepted an invitation to the combine” I think about the performance testing and the measurements. I guess I don’t even consider the scrimmages to be part of it, even though maybe I should. When the NBA lists 70-ish players that will be attending the combine, I don’t think that means 70 players will participate in the scrimmages.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Again, attending (getting measured or maybe doing some agility/athleticism drills) is very different from playing in the games. You absolutely will not see likely lottery picks playing in the combine scrimmages. Your notion of Carter playing and boosting his stock is not gonna happen. No way.

Here are the rosters from last year's scrimmages. There isn't a single likely first rounder in the bunch:

If they were selecting today- I suspect Kuzma would be a VERY high first round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    If they were selecting today- I suspect Kuzma would be a VERY high first round pick.
    Yup, same with Dillon Brooks, not as high as Kuzma, but he would be a lottery pick.

Should we do a mock redraft of the 2017 draft? I think a good case can be made for Tatum to go #1 over Donovan Mitchell, but you can't miss with either pick. After that, it gets a lot more murky. It is not crazy to think Kuzma goes third. And where would Fultz go? We still know so little about his game. Don't forget that Kuzma and Mitchell are at least 2 or 3 years older than many of these other high draft picks. Tatum doing what he did before he even turned 20 is truly amazing.

-Jason "hmmmm, I'm sensing a sorta fun off-season activity here" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Yup, same with Dillon Brooks, not as high as Kuzma, but he would be a lottery pick.

Should we do a mock redraft of the 2017 draft? I think a good case can be made for Tatum to go #1 over Donovan Mitchell, but you can't miss with either pick. After that, it gets a lot more murky. It is not crazy to think Kuzma goes third. And where would Fultz go? We still know so little about his game. Don't forget that Kuzma and Mitchell are at least 2 or 3 years older than many of these other high draft picks. Tatum doing what he did before he even turned 20 is truly amazing.

That's a tough choice . . . I would like to see what Jayson looks like next year before I make that decision. Mitchell was obviously better this season, but he was also asked to do more and he's a year older.

If I had a gun to my head, I'd probably pick Mitchell right now. That guy is doing things rookies haven't done in over 30 years. He's the #1 option on a good playoff team at age 21. He can get a bucket by himself almost at will with all sorts of spins and fakes and has the feel of a 30 year old veteran. It's absolutely insane. As wonderful a player as Jayson is, I'm not sure he could be that good even next year.

The case for Jayson is that he's a better fit with a ball dominant star than Mitchell since he's a better shooter. But on the other hand, Mitchell is a better defender, is more athletic, and has the same wingspan as Jayson (7'0"), despite being 5 inches shorter . . .

Mitchell is already a 100% proven franchise player. The jury is still out for Tatum. He could make a huge leap at some point, but right now, you gotta go with Mitchell.
    Last edited by kAzE; 04-30-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Semi STARTED for the Celtics in the playoffs. I'd say he outperformed many 1st round picks ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Semi STARTED for the Celtics in the playoffs. I'd say he outperformed many 1st round picks ...
    Only Brad Stevens has the stones to start Semi Ojeleye as a rookie . . . guarding a top 5 player, no less.

But, that's not great logic. He just happened to have the best combination of size and quickness on the Celtics decimated roster of being able to somewhat contain Giannis (before the return of Marcus Smart). Semi actually was in the lineup over Jayson Tatum in game 5 during crunch time too, but nobody is drafting Semi over Jayson in a re-draft.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Only Brad Stevens has the stones to start Semi Ojeleye as a rookie . . . guarding a top 5 player, no less.

But, that's not great logic. He just happened to have the best combination of size and quickness on the Celtics decimated roster of being able to somewhat contain Giannis (before the return of Marcus Smart). Semi actually was in the lineup over Jayson Tatum in game 5 during crunch time too, but nobody is drafting Semi over Jayson in a re-draft.
    I believe I am entitled to my narrative ...

After all, I will be acting as Mr. Ojeleye's agent during the re-drafting process ..

I am ... ahem ... Semi-qualified ...

I believe I am entitled to my narrative ...

After all, I will be acting as Mr. Ojeleye's agent during the re-drafting process ..

I am ... ahem ... Semi-qualified ...
    I was going to say he was the only guy who could "semi-contain" Giannis, but I caught myself. I see you don't share the same inhibitions

I was going to say he was the only guy who could "semi-contain" Giannis, but I caught myself. I see you don't share the same inhibitions
    I have never been accused of being overly delicate, my subtlety has been compared to a runaway Semi

That's a tough choice . . . I would like to see what Jayson looks like next year before I make that decision. Mitchell was obviously better this season, but he was also asked to do more and he's a year older.
    Yeah, I would also probably take Mitchell. I was just saying a case could be made for Tatum.

And one of the chief arguments in that case is age. Mitchell's birthday is September 7, 1996, Tatum's is March 3, 1998... those 19 months are a fairly big deal at this age.

-Jason "so, who goes #3? Fultz" Evans

Yeah, I would also probably take Mitchell. I was just saying a case could be made for Tatum.

And one of the chief arguments in that case is age. Mitchell's birthday is September 7, 1996, Tatum's is March 3, 1998... those 19 months are a fairly big deal at this age.

So I wonder how often 2 more likely years of prime play actually ends up benefiting the team that drafts a player? Obviously the teams gets the benefit of youth if the player stays through their prime years. Also youth is often a factor in a player’s trade value but seems like a lot of players get moved to create cap space. If a player leaves through free agency before then end of their prime the team that drafted him really doesn't benefit from youth do they?

It's not so much about how many years they have left, I think the issue is that if player X is playing at a certain level, and player Y is also playing at that same level but is a year younger, then player Y is considered way more valuable in terms of long-term NBA potential. If you consider growth to be an upward trajectory then player Y is ahead of player X's trajectory and is also presumed to have further to go.

But the timing of the contracts does matter, as you said. For a guy who is drafted as a 19 year old, he'll still be a couple years away from his prime when his rookie contract expires. And the team that drafted him has the best chance at re-signing him based on how much they can offer him. But if you start out at 22 then you're hitting your prime sooner and are looking for a max deal by your second contract. I'm probably not making much sense here, JJ Redick explained it much better in one of his podcasts, but the bottom line was that it was better to draft younger players.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    But the timing of the contracts does matter, as you said. For a guy who is drafted as a 19 year old, he'll still be a couple years away from his prime when his rookie contract expires. And the team that drafted him has the best chance at re-signing him based on how much they can offer him. But if you start out at 22 then you're hitting your prime sooner and are looking for a max deal by your second contract. I'm probably not making much sense here, JJ Redick explained it much better in one of his podcasts, but the bottom line was that it was better to draft younger players.
    Yeah, apparently so. One drafts younger so one can re-sign more cheaply. At the same, a team pays for a kid to sit on the bench and do nothing for two years. And, he may not develop into a really good player. And, the money is gone on a wasted 3-4 year contract.

I am probably not cut out to be an NBA GM.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yeah, apparently so. One drafts younger so one can re-sign more cheaply. At the same, a team pays for a kid to sit on the bench and do nothing for two years. And, he may not develop into a really good player. And, the money is gone on a wasted 3-4 year contract.

I am probably not cut out to be an NBA GM.
    IMO, some of this thinking tends to end up outsmarting ones self. Mayby Penny Wise and Pound Foolish comes into play here?

I think it's hard to comment about the Bagley/Carter order in the draft until the lottery is set. Then watch the trades. But both go lottery.

I do think Duval will go before Allen. Not that I think Allen is the worse player. Just looking at it from a GM's perspective on potential. I think if Duval lights it up in the pre-draft camps, put him in pen in the 1st round. Allen is more of a known commodity - perhaps a late first round pick if a team views him highly (Celtics?), but I don't think it's automatic. More like a 2nd round pick to me (earlier than later).

I have no real feeling where Trent will go. First round, second round or even undrafted? He will have to show well at the camps to solidify his stock.

9F

I think it depends on the team who could pick number 1. Or is this a question like if we had to build around 1 of those two who would we wanna start with?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Invites

Invites out. I apologize for the source.

I have never been accused of being overly delicate, my subtlety has been compared to a runaway Semi
    Keep trucking with your subtlety, BD80

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Invites out. I apologize for the source.
    Five guys.
    Duke's starting five for the bulk of the season (Grayson Allen, Marvin Bagley III, Wendell Carter Jr., Trevon Duval and Gary Trent Jr.) will be among the 69 participants in the May 16-20 workouts.
    https://www.wralsportsfan.com/five-b...bine/17536787/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."