Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Duke is on holes 11-13 and is even on the round thus far. They are 8 strokes clear of 9th place. Looks good, but still a ways to go.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Duke is on holes 11-13 and is even on the round thus far. They are 8 strokes clear of 9th place. Looks good, but still a ways to go.
    It's now being carried on the Golf Channel. Interesting that Duke, Northwestern and USC are playing together today (one player from each team and five threesomes). All are at -1 at the moment, far better than the average scores on this tough course.

By the way, a titmouse just called -- I wonder if it was recorded this AM or is singing through his siesta.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Four of or five golfers bogeyed the 17th and Duke is now just 2 shots in front of two teams tied for eighth.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Leona bogeyed the last two holes.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

One hole, one golfer to play and Jaravee has doubly bogeyed and bogeyed her last 2 holes.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    One hole, one golfer to play and Jaravee has doubly bogeyed and bogeyed her last 2 holes.
    She was able to par the last hole. Duke is finished at 30 over and in 7th place. Baylor and Arizona are tied for 8th with multiple holes to play. Now we wait.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke is in 6th and, if I understand the pairings correctly, will tee off in the AM against USC.

A real crash and burn for the ladies at the end of the round. The last four holes we were 11 over par and went from -2 to +5. Fortunately, we held our position fairly well.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 05-21-2018 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Got final results
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

On to match play

In watching the coverage it seems like this course has a few birdie opportunities but mostly holes where you should settle for par.

Not much wind today.

Tomorrow is a long day. If we win the morning match, then we go in the afternoon. 36 holes or so on a tough golf course is a tough day but the opponents have the same.

I think the Duke players can play better than they have done so far.

Last medal play as a Duke player for Leona and Lisa today.

SoCal

Duke up in two of the matches and down in three of the matches to USC.

Leona is up 1 thru 13 and Virginia is up 1 thru 12.

Boonchant is down 1 thru 11.

Lisa is down 3 thru 10, while Anna is down 3 thru 9.

It look like if Leona and Virginia can hold on, it's going to come down to Boonchant coming back to win her match.

http://results.golfstat.com/public/l...atch&tid=15141

A little over halfway through, USC and Duke are locked in a struggle, 2-2-1. In the two matches they lead, USC is up 3 (after 10 and 9 holes), so those don't look promising. Duke's leads are both up 1 (Leona Maguire and Virginia Carta) after 13 and 12, respectively, so they are much tighter.

The crucial match, should Leona and Virginia hold on, is that of the freshman Boonchant, who is all square after 12 holes.

Leona just held on for a 1-up victory, but we are now down in 3 matches and only up in 1 other. Lots of golf still to play though!

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Leona just held on for a 1-up victory, but we are now down in 3 matches and only up in 1 other. Lots of golf still to play though!
    Lisa loses 4&2. Virginia lost her last 2 holes to go from 2 Up to all square. She's now in extra holes. Anna Belac had a huge comeback and is now all square with 2 to go. Boonchant loses so we need to win both of the all square matches to win.

Carta and Belac must win their matches. All even now for both of them. Currently 2-1 USC for completed matches. On Golf Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Down 1-2, with two matches left -- both even. Ana is starting 17. Virginia is in extra holes.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Down 1-2, with two matches left -- both even. Ana is starting 17. Virginia is in extra holes.
    Virginia on to second extra hole all squared (obviously). Down 1 in other match headed to 18.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Virginia on to second extra hole all squared (obviously). Down 1 in other match headed to 18.
    Virginia missed a putt she should have had to close it out. Doesn't look good in other match either, but Golf Channel not showing it for some reason. I think Duke's Belac in the long grass.
    Rich

Virginia putting off a lot.

Belac with some terrible swings.

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    Virginia putting off a lot.

Belac with some terrible swings.
    It's over. This marks the end of the Maguires' careers.
    Rich

Duke falls to USC.

Great season, Duke women. ACC champs and NCAA regional champs, as well as making the NCAA quarterfinals.
    Sage Grouse

Tough end to a great season.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust