Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Team Banquet

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    What are you talking about? I was there and saw little or no security. They asked that people not pester the players but I saw no one enforcing that. I was sitting at a table next to the tables where players sat. Before the program began the players were milling around talking to friends and family. There was no security around them. People flowed in and out all the time. It just wasn't a time to ask for autographs.
    Thanks for the report from your seat. I was not talking about before or during the program. I don't allow my children to get up from the table in a restaurant or a setting like last night, and run all over the place. Call me old fashioned but that's just how I was raised. Despite my child asking several times last night I made her wait until after the program was over to get up and mill around.

Anyway, I'll preface this by saying by nature i am not an autograph seeker. i have only on rare occasions asked anyone for that. One of those rare times was after the banquet last year when I had Justise, Matt, Amile, and Grayson to sign my miniature 2015 National Championship Basketball. I talked to Justise for a good 5 to 10 minutes, with Matt for 5 minutes or so and and a couple with Grayson. The crowd had thinned out a lot and various players were milling around mingling with fans, taking pics, signing autographs, etc. Harry came over and talked to my daughter, took pics with her, as did Bolden and Chase. It was very casual, low key, everyone just chilling an enjoying the last of the evening. The videos from the program were playing on a loop for people to watch and enjoy as well.

Contrast that with last night. Me and a buddy of mine brought our daughters (his in a cast and on crutches from an ankle break), and we brought two of their friends. So two guys and 4 young teen girls who adore the players especially Grayson. The meal and program itself was wonderful. Nate's wife did an outstanding job with the invocation and blessing. Very inspirational. Capel's speech was really really good. Nolan was hilarious busting on Scheyer, while preparing to hand out his rewards. Grayson, to be a huge introvert, did a wonderful job speaking directly from the heart during his speech, acknowledging the low times, and sharing how much the K family helped him through the time periods after the FSU trip, and then after the Elon debacle, and basically became one of K and Momma K's children. It was very touching and I have to admit even I teared up when they played his video with the song choice. (The girls were all bawling). Once the program ended, just like last year the announcer stated that the videos would be playing on a loop so please enjoy.

That's where the niceties ended. The girls wanted to get some pics with some of the players, mainly selfies which take all of 5 seconds, and my daughter finally "retired" her IPhone Case that's a picture of her with Grayson after one of last year's games. She got it for Christmas and had it on since that time, and she wanted to wait until the banquet to get Grayson to sign it, and then take one final picture with him. So we casually headed toward the North end because the players scoot into the locker room, quickly change into casual clothes and then come back out. Along the way, Nolan and his wife were mingling with people, chatting and taking pictures. My daughter knows his wife and they snapchat a lot, so we talked to them and I got a picture with Nolan.

When we finally got to the Southend, the tenor changed very quickly. There were suddenly security guards everywhere on that end trying to stop people from talking to players, get a pic, get an autograph even though the players were willingly doing so. The girls did get to quickly speak to Alex, Jordan, and Trevon, but security guards (7 or 8 easily by that time with one shadowing Grayson every step he took). Bagley and Bolden came out and some fans were getting them to sign, but security just kept insisting that everyone head to the South entrance and leave immediately. The girls and my buddy moved away from the area at that point, but I wanted to quickly speak to Bolden and just give him a fist bump as I have spoken to him many times after games this year while waiting two hours after games for the girls to wait for their favorite players. After one game we even ended up by pure chance walking to our car beside Bolden and his family, because they were headed in that same direction, and his dad and i had a great, friendly conversation along the way. As we split to go our separate ways, Bolden graciously took a pic with my daughter, fist bumped me and thanked me for telling him to keep killing it on the court.

However, as I went to speak to him a security guard cut me off and told me to leave. About that time, a female came over to that area and told the 5 or 6 security guards "Make these people leave. Anyone who is not a family member of the players need to get out now". I looked directly at her from about 10 feet away and said "Gee, thanks for making us feel so welcome".

I get it. There are crazy people in this world that want to do others harm. I also get that there is a time and place, and you need to be respectful of people's space. I make sure the kids are respectful, don't bullrush the players or interrupt them if they are talking to someone, etc. However, after the program is over each year, is when the players (and many of their parents) are comfortable mingling with fans, just hanging out. And it wasn't like it was a line of 50 people seeking pics or autographs or just wanting to talk, and every year the crowd thins out fairly quickly. It's honestly the best time of the year for the kids to interact with the players, but last night security was just not having it. It was "Get out, get out, get out, get out now". The girls were finally able to get quick autographs with Grayson despite the big ...well I won't say what I want to say, but the dude was very rude to them (just like he has treated fans after games all year), wouldn't allow them to get a pic/selfie even though Grayson, as always was as patient and gracious as he could be. They were practically pushed out the door as I was and many other people. It was all so unnecessary.

I was able to take one or both of the girls to 6 home games this season. Each time we waited patiently (several in the freezing cold) for two hours for Grayson to come out so the girls could see him. Pretty much every time, security guards came out with each player or players and many times they very rudely stated "No pictures and no autographs!" but thankfully not all, but many of the players said "No, it's fine. We don't mind". Last year Amile came out after a game and it was the same thing. The security guard said "Absolutely no pics or autographs" and Amile immediately said "I am going to sign for every single person out here that wants me to, and take pics, so just relax"... This season has been much worse, and a couple of times they told people to clear the area right away.

To each their own, but I personally find that ridiculous and offensive. I miss the old days. I was able to get one ticket for the uncCheat game (thank you Mr Bill, we love you much) and I took my daughter who just turned 13 over there and let her use the ticket. It was her first ever unc game. A couple of our friends and family chastised my wife and I for letting her go in by herself. I said "LOL, for one she knows the place like the back of her hand, she knows half the people in there including Debbie K and Nolan's wife, and the place has become Fort Knox". She could not have been safer. Which again, in today's times is warranted. I wish it didn't have to be that way but I understand it. The other stuff is over the top and totally ridiculous.

My two cents.

Great to read what Coach K said about Grayson. Grayson took a lot of arrows for wearing the Duke uniform and I'm glad to see coach having his back on last time.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Great to read what Coach K said about Grayson. Grayson took a lot of arrows for wearing the Duke uniform and I'm glad to see coach having his back on last time.
    Great point and I thought K had the best line of the night. When he spoke after Grayson, he told Grayson to "Never confuse Hate with Envy." "They hate because they wish you played for them, but you don't, you play for us. And they can never be us".

That was really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by 22JumpShots View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS70eI8271w -- This link and click "CC" for closed captioning (subtitles). That way they can read and watch at the same time
    Thanks! A friend will be very happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Thanks for the report from your seat. I was not talking about before or during the program. I don't allow my children to get up from the table in a restaurant or a setting like last night, and run all over the place. Call me old fashioned but that's just how I was raised. Despite my child asking several times last night I made her wait until after the program was over to get up and mill around.

Anyway, I'll preface this by saying by nature i am not an autograph seeker. i have only on rare occasions asked anyone for that. One of those rare times was after the banquet last year when I had Justise, Matt, Amile, and Grayson to sign my miniature 2015 National Championship Basketball. I talked to Justise for a good 5 to 10 minutes, with Matt for 5 minutes or so and and a couple with Grayson. The crowd had thinned out a lot and various players were milling around mingling with fans, taking pics, signing autographs, etc. Harry came over and talked to my daughter, took pics with her, as did Bolden and Chase. It was very casual, low key, everyone just chilling an enjoying the last of the evening. The videos from the program were playing on a loop for people to watch and enjoy as well.

Contrast that with last night. Me and a buddy of mine brought our daughters (his in a cast and on crutches from an ankle break), and we brought two of their friends. So two guys and 4 young teen girls who adore the players especially Grayson. The meal and program itself was wonderful. Nate's wife did an outstanding job with the invocation and blessing. Very inspirational. Capel's speech was really really good. Nolan was hilarious busting on Scheyer, while preparing to hand out his rewards. Grayson, to be a huge introvert, did a wonderful job speaking directly from the heart during his speech, acknowledging the low times, and sharing how much the K family helped him through the time periods after the FSU trip, and then after the Elon debacle, and basically became one of K and Momma K's children. It was very touching and I have to admit even I teared up when they played his video with the song choice. (The girls were all bawling). Once the program ended, just like last year the announcer stated that the videos would be playing on a loop so please enjoy.

That's where the niceties ended. The girls wanted to get some pics with some of the players, mainly selfies which take all of 5 seconds, and my daughter finally "retired" her IPhone Case that's a picture of her with Grayson after one of last year's games. She got it for Christmas and had it on since that time, and she wanted to wait until the banquet to get Grayson to sign it, and then take one final picture with him. So we casually headed toward the North end because the players scoot into the locker room, quickly change into casual clothes and then come back out. Along the way, Nolan and his wife were mingling with people, chatting and taking pictures. My daughter knows his wife and they snapchat a lot, so we talked to them and I got a picture with Nolan.

When we finally got to the Southend, the tenor changed very quickly. There were suddenly security guards everywhere on that end trying to stop people from talking to players, get a pic, get an autograph even though the players were willingly doing so. The girls did get to quickly speak to Alex, Jordan, and Trevon, but security guards (7 or 8 easily by that time with one shadowing Grayson every step he took). Bagley and Bolden came out and some fans were getting them to sign, but security just kept insisting that everyone head to the South entrance and leave immediately. The girls and my buddy moved away from the area at that point, but I wanted to quickly speak to Bolden and just give him a fist bump as I have spoken to him many times after games this year while waiting two hours after games for the girls to wait for their favorite players. After one game we even ended up by pure chance walking to our car beside Bolden and his family, because they were headed in that same direction, and his dad and i had a great, friendly conversation along the way. As we split to go our separate ways, Bolden graciously took a pic with my daughter, fist bumped me and thanked me for telling him to keep killing it on the court.

However, as I went to speak to him a security guard cut me off and told me to leave. About that time, a female came over to that area and told the 5 or 6 security guards "Make these people leave. Anyone who is not a family member of the players need to get out now". I looked directly at her from about 10 feet away and said "Gee, thanks for making us feel so welcome".

I get it. There are crazy people in this world that want to do others harm. I also get that there is a time and place, and you need to be respectful of people's space. I make sure the kids are respectful, don't bullrush the players or interrupt them if they are talking to someone, etc. However, after the program is over each year, is when the players (and many of their parents) are comfortable mingling with fans, just hanging out. And it wasn't like it was a line of 50 people seeking pics or autographs or just wanting to talk, and every year the crowd thins out fairly quickly. It's honestly the best time of the year for the kids to interact with the players, but last night security was just not having it. It was "Get out, get out, get out, get out now". The girls were finally able to get quick autographs with Grayson despite the big ...well I won't say what I want to say, but the dude was very rude to them (just like he has treated fans after games all year), wouldn't allow them to get a pic/selfie even though Grayson, as always was as patient and gracious as he could be. They were practically pushed out the door as I was and many other people. It was all so unnecessary.

I was able to take one or both of the girls to 6 home games this season. Each time we waited patiently (several in the freezing cold) for two hours for Grayson to come out so the girls could see him. Pretty much every time, security guards came out with each player or players and many times they very rudely stated "No pictures and no autographs!" but thankfully not all, but many of the players said "No, it's fine. We don't mind". Last year Amile came out after a game and it was the same thing. The security guard said "Absolutely no pics or autographs" and Amile immediately said "I am going to sign for every single person out here that wants me to, and take pics, so just relax"... This season has been much worse, and a couple of times they told people to clear the area right away.

To each their own, but I personally find that ridiculous and offensive. I miss the old days. I was able to get one ticket for the uncCheat game (thank you Mr Bill, we love you much) and I took my daughter who just turned 13 over there and let her use the ticket. It was her first ever unc game. A couple of our friends and family chastised my wife and I for letting her go in by herself. I said "LOL, for one she knows the place like the back of her hand, she knows half the people in there including Debbie K and Nolan's wife, and the place has become Fort Knox". She could not have been safer. Which again, in today's times is warranted. I wish it didn't have to be that way but I understand it. The other stuff is over the top and totally ridiculous.

My two cents.
    I am not nearly the frequent flyer at sporting events that you appear to be but it seems that maybe this over the top security is becoming the norm . I went to College Game Day at UVA before the 2015 game and had a similar experience. After the show the guys were hanging out on one sideline and talking to fans, Rece Davis was bringing people out on to the floor to take pictures with him at the Game Day desk, etc, etc. We wandered down to the baseline corner where everyone had walked out to see if being one of the 10 people in the building wearing Duke stuff could get me a picture with either of the Jays. One of the Game Day production guys was cleaning things up and talking to me and my sister, encouraging us to hang out in this spot because Bilas should be coming this way soon. About that time six, I'm not exaggerating, security guards came up to the three of us that were standing there and told us we needed to leave immediately. When we walked back to the sideline where there was still a group of 20-30 people waiting for pictures they followed us and again told us to leave. We did and lucked out because Jay Williams pulled up next to us at a red light on 29 and I got to talk to him for a minute but it was still really frustrating to be "kicked out" when they guys were there engaging with the crowd. I've been to games at JPJ three times and been treated rudely by security/arena staff each time, once for accidentally sitting in seats 8 and 9 instead of 9 and 10. I assumed it was just there but maybe it's everywhere now.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Not intending to be other than flip, but doesn't the award to Javin and Marques sound like the "Please Stay Around for Next Year" award.
    Well, yes--but those are both players who deserve to be reminded how much Duke would like them to stay around for next year, no?

Smile Banquet thoughts

Ive enjoyed reading the posts about the banquet--we have gone in the past--(last time was in 2015) so I wanted to go this year to see Grayson one more time.

I completely agree with the security being over the top. The gentleman who took Bob Harris' job mentioned at the top of the night to please don't approach players for autographs, etc...and in the past at the end of the night most of the guys have no problem doing it--it's just about picking the right and appropriate time to ask. Once the festivities were over, we walked towards Grayson and two big guys promptly got in front of us and gave me the evil eye--as in 'back off'. I just took a step back and waited a few, then walked towards where the other guys were coming out, having changed into street clothes. Bagley took several pics with people and signed programs--same with Duval. Bolden and his family were at the table in front of us and we spoke briefly to him--he was very cordial. Once I walked over towards Bagley--two more security guys did the same thing--stopped about 3 feet from him and put up their arms (across their chest) and gave me the evil eye. There were probably 30 ppl at most left in the room--most had left--and we hardly looked threatening--my friend with me wanted a pic with Bagley.

It became increasingly obvious that the security was becoming overwhelming--so we just left.

It seems like it gets worse every year.

I wonder if as fans writing a letter to the bball office would help at all? I understand keeping order, but these guys seem to take things way over the top.

Another friend of mine went with me to Game Day this year at Cameron--I had made a poster to take in and the security guys took it and tore it up before I could get through the metal detector. Once we sat through the show--we saw some of the players on the other side from the game day desk--so we ambled over to the upstairs section just above them to snap a few pics--and immediately an older guy who was working security (he reminded me of a mall cop--sorry if that offends anyone...lol) and he got IRATE with us for even getting close enough to take pics. My friend with me is retired law enforcement--and she looked at him and said 'easy dude--back off. we weren't trying to cause any trouble--just relax.' there were several other people around us doing the same thing. He kept yelling 'This section is closed--move people!'. I mean, ,really. Over the top.

It won't keep me from going--at least right now--but it may in the future. We'll see.

I loved K's remarks after the awards--especially noting all the charges Carter took during the year--including mentioning he had taken one more then what was documented. It was priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    ...we have a nice dinner somewhere (Neo China last night) and then go to the program and sit upstairs for $15 each. Better food and more cost effective by about half!
    Good call. I'll try to remember that if I go again. My husband would always beg off so I'll join you as a fifth wheel.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'