Thread: Durham church

Durham church

A friend asked me the folllowing question:

“Can anyone recommend a faithful, Bible-preaching, Gospel centered church in Durham?”

Thanks

It's been 20+ years, but my wife and I attended St. Paul's Lutheran while we were students. Very supportive and welcoming.

http://www.stpaulsdurham.org/location.html
    "There can BE only one."

Strongly suspect this thread will be locked/deleted shortly, but I PM'd you, Channing.

Thanks. Not sure why it would be locked - not interested in debating Theology (I happen to be Jewish), just looking for a red to pass on.

Fair point. I suppose if all responses stick to just making recommendations, not offering opinions on the original request or the recommendations of others, the thread could remain open.

I had good experiences at Blacknall Memorial Presbyterian Church, just off East Campus, as an undergrad. Allan Poole, the senior pastor, has been there for at least 18 years, and I distinctly recall his warmth and openness with visiting students.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    A friend asked me the folllowing question:

“Can anyone recommend a faithful, Bible-preaching, Gospel centered church in Durham?”

Thanks
    Most churches would describe themselves as such, imo.

Does your friend have a spouse and kids? Is he/she most interested in the quality of Sunday service, or are additional church activities / social life important? What is a church that he/she attended previously that he/she liked? (I realize that for that last question, he/she may not want to share).

We could turn this into a poll ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    We could turn this into a poll ...
    Most Poles are Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Most Poles are Catholic.
    That explains the penguins in the convents ...

It’s more Morrisville than Durham, would highly encourage a visit to 519 church.

https://www.519church.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Most churches would describe themselves as such, imo.

Does your friend have a spouse and kids? Is he/she most interested in the quality of Sunday service, or are additional church activities / social life important? What is a church that he/she attended previously that he/she liked? (I realize that for that last question, he/she may not want to share).
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Wife and 4 kids. They will be in Durham periodically over the next 24 months. They are quite religious, so the quality of the Sunday service, more than extracurriculars, matter (though I'm sure if a congregant were to invite them for Sunday lunch they would be most appreciative).
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

One year we came to town for a Saturday night game and visited Southside Church of Christ the next morning. It was a really uplifting service and everyone was very friendly. And we were surprised to look over and see Jamal Boykin worshiping along with us...and then he transferred

Former Attorney General of the USA Loretta Lynch grew up in Durham and her dad lead a church in Durham, until there was some sort of power struggle. I just recently learned this, so wanted to share. To the extent Lynch cares about politics, that might concern polls, not Poles.

I think there's a big, pretty church at Duke, too.

If they're OK w/ Baptist, then either FBC Durham or Summit.

https://www.fbcdurham.org/ - downtown Durham
    https://www.summitrdu.com/ - multiple campuses in RTP area
    A text without a context is a pretext.