• Incredibles 2

22 48.89%
  • Jurassic World

26 57.78%
  • Field

2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    FWIW, according to Fandango, ticket presales for Solo are outpacing Black Panther, totaling #2 all-time (after Infinity War) in the first 24 hours.

How about we start a new poll...

It will be to rank movies 3-8

We all know Avengers will be #1. We have a pretty good idea what will be 2-5 (in some order JP, Deadpool, Solo and Incredibles 2).

This would make it so you have to guess which movie won't make the Top 2 and then do movies 6-8. Would that include Ant Man? MI 6? Uncle Drew? Something nobody is thinking of?

Got my screening invites over the past couple days.

Deadpool 2 on Thursday (8 days before theatrical release)
    Solo on Monday (11 days before theatrical release)

The review embargo (no reviews are allowed to be released before this date) for Deadpool 2 is Monday (4 days before release). Solo's embargo is May 15th (10 days before release). Typically, critics are shown movies 2-4 days before release and the review embargo is usually Wed or Thurs ahead of a Friday release. So, Disney and Fox are really putting these movies out there muuuuch earlier than normal.

Obviously, this is a really good sign for both of these movies. It means the studio thinks the screenings will produce positive word of mouth and that critics will say good things. I am starting to suspect that all the talk that Solo was a nightmare of a mess was wrong. I can't even begin to imagine that either of these films will fall below 60% on Rotten Tomatoes given these review plans. It just does not make any sense... unless Disney/Fox has a totally unrealistic view of how the reviews will come out. There is no such thing as "critic proof" any longer. The utter failure of the DC universe has proved that. So, Disney and Fox must be very confident critics are going to love these movies.

-Jason "I'm getting really excited for both of these!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

7 hours to Deadpool 2 screening...

Not that I'm counting the minutes or anything
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Just watched another Incredibles trailer. I'm content in my picks. Depressing drowning dinosaurs in a bad looking movie may beat me, but I know which of the two I'm seeing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Just watched another Incredibles trailer. I'm content in my picks. Depressing drowning dinosaurs in a bad looking movie may beat me, but I know which of the two I'm seeing.
    Just saw Avengers IW which had the Incredibles trailer.

It was nice seeing a full slate of kick-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. female characters, particularly Shuri, who is smarter than Tony Stark AND Bruce Banner, which I believe places her at the top of the entire MCU.

Incredibles 2 is going to do some bidness.

Is it me or is Avengers: Infinity War on the same pace as Black Panther? Sorry, was looking at totals through Friday. It should be ahead by 30-40 million after the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Is it me or is Avengers: Infinity War on the same pace as Black Panther? Sorry, was looking at totals through Friday. It should be ahead by 30-40 million after the weekend.
    I'm not sure what you were looking at but it really isn't close.

Through Friday, its 15th day of release, Infinity War was at $502 million. Through 15 days of release (they both opened on a Friday), Black Panther was at $451 million. So, IW is $51 mil ahead of Panther's pace.

That said, it appears IW is slowing down a bit faster than BP did. This weekend, the third weekend of release, IW looks like it will do just slightly over $60 mil. BP did $66.3 mil in weekend #3. In weekend #4, BP did $40.3 mil and there is no way IW is going to reach that figure because Deadpool 2 is opening. The blockbuster competition from DP2 and Solo will really impact IW's boxofice the next several weeks. In fact, I think IW is going to end up making something less than $675 mil in total boxoffice while Black Panther is at $694 and has a shot at topping $700 mil, something only Avatar and Force Awakens have done.

-Jason "Black Panther was a cultural milestone in a way this film never will be" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm not sure what you were looking at but it really isn't close.

Through Friday, its 15th day of release, Infinity War was at $502 million. Through 15 days of release (they both opened on a Friday), Black Panther was at $451 million. So, IW is $51 mil ahead of Panther's pace.

That said, it appears IW is slowing down a bit faster than BP did. This weekend, the third weekend of release, IW looks like it will do just slightly over $60 mil. BP did $66.3 mil in weekend #3. In weekend #4, BP did $40.3 mil and there is no way IW is going to reach that figure because Deadpool 2 is opening. The blockbuster competition from DP2 and Solo will really impact IW's boxofice the next several weeks. In fact, I think IW is going to end up making something less than $675 mil in total boxoffice while Black Panther is at $694 and has a shot at topping $700 mil, something only Avatar and Force Awakens have done.

-Jason "Black Panther was a cultural milestone in a way this film never will be" Evans
    Before Box Office Mojo posted the estimate for the full weekend a few minutes ago, they were showing $502 million (through May 11th) for Avengers which happened to be the same $$$ amount that Black Panther had through 3 weekends. They are now showing Avengers at $547 million.

Tricks our minds will play on us.

Avengers through May 11th:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 05-13-2018 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Added May11th data for Avengers

I'm guessing they'll leave Black Panther out there until it hits $700 million. It is at $696.7 million at the moment.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    As we sneak forward through reviews and trailer releases for the movies that matter, I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to go 2 for 3.
    Jurassic World is going to kill, and I should have voted for it. But I stood on principles, and I'm ok with that. A year from now, and three years from now, I am going to enjoy streaming Incredibles 2 way more than I will JW2. (Hell, I don't even watch JW1 when it's on.)
    But...those damn dinos are gonna eat the box office.
    Sucks we aren't voting for the three BEST movies. (but then, only one of these has a chance.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

OK...I'm officially nervous. JE saw Deadpool 2 last week and has posted...nothing.

Does that mean he didn't like it and doesn't want to lower expectations for people who will see it tomorrow? If so, that probably means that Deadpool won't finish Top 3 (which means I'm out, which won't be at all shocking).

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    OK...I'm officially nervous. JE saw Deadpool 2 last week and has posted...nothing.

Does that mean he didn't like it and doesn't want to lower expectations for people who will see it tomorrow? If so, that probably means that Deadpool won't finish Top 3 (which means I'm out, which won't be at all shocking).
    You haven't been paying close enough attention.

spolier-free review

Thanks! Makes me feel a bit better...but I'm still not going 3 for 3. Star Wars will beat Deadpool2

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Thanks! Makes me feel a bit better...but I'm still not going 3 for 3. Star Wars will beat Deadpool2
    Wisdom of the crowd update:

HSX has the contenders like this:

Infinity War - $592 mil
    Jurassic World - $441 mil
    Solo - $362 mil
    Deadpool 2 - $329 mil
    Incredibles 2 - $320 mil

Nothing else is over $200 mil on HSX (Ant Man and Wasp at $180, Mission Impossible 6 at $150).

-Jason "worth noting that a film with long legs, like Incredibles is expected to be, would not be fully reflected by the 3-weekend limit of a HSX stock" Evans

Will this weekend be the first that Marvel has held the top two spots at the box office?

A new trailed dropped for a summer movie (Aug 17 release date) and I found the trailer and the concept really funny. That said, I cannot stress enough that this trailer is R-rated... it is full of puppets but the language and the themes are a hard R!

It is for The Happytime Murders, a film by Brian Henson (Jim's son) in which Melissa McCarthy and some muppets try to solve a series of crimes involving the puppet universe. Like I said, really funny but really raunchy. You were warned...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eks8LG72uo

-Jason "you cannot unsee that final scene... wow!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Will this weekend be the first that Marvel has held the top two spots at the box office?
    Yup, I'm almost certain it will be. Here are the other times Marvel put 2 movies in the top 5.

May 27-29, 2016 - X-Men Apocalypse was #1 and Cap: Civil War was #4
    Aug 7-9, 2015 - Fantastic Four was #2 and Ant Man was #5
    May 23-25, 2014 - X-Men DOFP was #1 and Amazing Spider Man 2 was #5
    May 2-4, 2014 - ASM 2 was #1 and Cap: Winter Soldier was #4

Deadpool 2 gets to enjoy the top spot with 125M. That will change this weekend with Solo. (Another reason Deadpool won't make the top three, it won't have another weekend without heavy competition.)

Solo is at 72% on RottenTomates, which is probably enough for purposes of the contest.

That said, recent Star Wars movies (like most Marvel movies) have been overrated in terms of aggregate RT ratings vs. actual quality, in my opinion. And at 72%, Solo is pretty close to Iron Man 2, which was pretty much a pile of flaming trash (in my opinion) yet benefited from the Marvel halo effect to somehow earn a 73% RT score en route to $312 million. So I feel pretty good about picking Solo but will probably wait until it hits DVD/HBO before watching it myself.