22 48.89%
  • Jurassic World

26 57.78%
  • Field

2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Top movies of summer 2018 (top 3!)

Time for the annual summer movie poll. In every single summer in the past, we have voted on the top 5 movies. I've given it a lot of thought and this summer we are going to do something different. This summer, we are picking the top 3.

Why would we do that? Well, there are 5 movies that are each expected to be huge hits:
    Avengers:Infinity War
    Deadpool 2
    Solo: A Star Wars Story
    Incredibles 2
    Jurassic World

If we only picked 5 movies, then everyone would pick those 5. I guess someone might want to be contrarian or maybe someone would be just certain that Ant Man or Mission Impossible would surprise, but I think 75% of us would have the exact same picks. Yawn. I toyed with the notion of us posting our picks in order but figuring out the winner would be cumbersome and we have never used order of picks in the past.

So, you only get to pick three. Good luck! The poll will close in 11 days, just before Infinity War opens.

-Jason "if you have any questions, feel free to post here and please post your reasons/rationale for your picks" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Infinity war...100% lock. Impossible to me that this doesn’t crack the top 3 due to this being the biggest marvel movie to date. It all lead up to this.
    Jurassic world...99% lock. The first/new one did so well. Hard to imagine the follow up not pulling in the crowd.

So for me it all comes down to #3. It’s really tough. Deadpool or solo...hmm. I’ll have to sit on this one for awhile but I am leaning towards solo because it is more of a family movie. Hard to take little kids to Deadpool.

I'm voting for Dunkirk, and only dunkirk. I guess that would be "field"?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Avengers because Marvel.
    Solo because Star Wars.
    Jurassic World because dinosaurs and I like to say J-dub.

Merry Summer!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I know mine will include Incredibles 2 and Avengers. The third one is my debate.
    Dinosaurs or The Millenium Falcon? I'm not totally convinced Deadpool will even be in the top 5, but I'm pretty positive it won't be in the top 3. Take the option out of kids being repeat viewers, much less first time viewers, and it has no hope of being up there.

Edit --Of course The Hangover proved me wrong there, but I'm still leaving it out.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I know mine will include Incredibles 2 and Avengers. The third one is my debate.
    Dinosaurs or The Millenium Falcon? I'm not totally convinced Deadpool will even be in the top 5, but I'm pretty positive it won't be in the top 3. Take the option out of kids being repeat viewers, much less first time viewers, and it has no hope of being up there.

Edit --Of course The Hangover proved me wrong there, but I'm still leaving it out.
    Incredibles has to compete with a Jurassic world realease 1 week after. It’s a non pick for me because of that. I anticipate a lot of kids will be choosing JW over the incredibles. Especially since the first one came out a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I'm voting for Dunkirk, and only dunkirk. I guess that would be "field"?
    That's funny! I believe that what I thought last year. Guess I was a year early...

I'm quite intrigued that everyone is discounting Deadpool 2. According to test screenings, it is better than the original. The original made $363 million.

I guess the question is -- what is it going to take to be in the top 3? I mean, $400 million might not make it.

The past 4 Marvel movies have all made over $315 mil and Black Panther just made $620+ million. The first two Avengers movies each made over $450 mil. Hard to see how Avengers makes less than $500 mil unless it is a total train wreck (early buzz says it is faaar from a train wreck).

The three latest Star Wars movies each made more than $530 mil. Even if Solo is a train wreck (a dual train wreck rotating around on two-sided tracks through the snow), it almost has to make $400 million.

Jurassic World made $650+ mil... How much worse could the sequel do?

The Incredibles made $385 mil (inflation adjusted).

So, I guess I can see why Deadpool is being discounted. R-rated films simply do not reach the levels of PG and PG-13 fare. The highest grossing R-rated film of all time is Passion of the Christ with $370 mil and that film played very differently from action movie blockbusters. So, the bottom line is that to reach the top 3 this summer, Deadpool is almost certainly going to have to go well beyond where any other R-rated action movie has ever gone.

Then again, we are living in a world where a Black-themed February release can make $600+ million so I sorta think all bets are off when it comes to the past being an predictor of the future.

--Jason "I think I just talked myself out of picking Deadpool 2... sigh" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Avengers is a lock, so I think it comes down to 3 movies for the final 2 spots. Solo, Incredibles 2, and JW Fallen Kingdom.

I am voting for the three I will definetly be seeing. And hoping they're the three the most people will be seeing. That's
    1. Avengers, 2. Deadpool, 3. Jurassic World.

Incredibles was a long time ago, Solo with some bad vibes.

Wanted to be alone in my victory: Avengers, Deadpool, Incredibles.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Wanted to be alone in my victory: Avengers, Deadpool, Incredibles.
    Not enough permutations

The safest picks here are avengers, JW, and solo but who wants to tie with a thousand other people? Not me. So I went with...

Infinity war——lock
    jurassic world- lock
    Deadpool 2- wildcard

I was tempted to throw incredibles in there but JW releases 1 week after and I assume will take all the green from it. Plus, the first one is so old that most young kids won’t have much of a draw to it. I am also banking on solo being a piece of garbage.Deadpool has some challenges though. Being a R rated movie makes it a tough pick. But hey, you gotta gamble to win big!

Go golden knights!

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    The safest picks here are avengers, JW, and solo but who wants to tie with a thousand other people? Not me. So I went with...

Infinity war——lock
    jurassic world- lock
    Deadpool 2- wildcard

I was tempted to throw incredibles in there but JW releases 1 week after and I assume will take all the green from it. Plus, the first one is so old that most young kids won’t have much of a draw to it. I am also banking on solo being a piece of garbage.Deadpool has some challenges though. Being a R rated movie makes it a tough pick. But hey, you gotta gamble to win big!

Go golden knights!
    I'll be waiting for the day we have 1,000 people in the poll.

Avengers, Solo, Incredibles.

Marvel, Lucas, Pixar.

Sequel, sequel, sequel.

$, $, $.

Avengers
    Star Wars
    Dinosaurs

I really wanted to go against the 3 most voted for but I just do not feel they have any real challengers. These are all going to pull in massive amounts of money regardless of whether they are any good or not. It would take a huge upset in my opinion but stranger things have happened I guess.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    My biggest debate is Solo vs JW.
    I'm going with the Star Wars because it looks like it will be lots of non-stop crazy happy action.
    I'm not going with JW because it looks like it will be a lot of non-stop crazy action, but lots of it depressing. I'm sure I'll watch it, but that one scene of all the dinosaurs plunging off the cliff to their watery graves is nothing I'm particularly interested in seeing. And it looks like the ones that don't jump are also screwed, so bring on the new extinction. Also, there are elements from the trailer that look amazingly stupid, which is what helped make the original sequel so lousy. (Too bad they didn't stick to the original sequel book, that was a great read.)

Avengers, Incredibles, and Solo, possibly in that order
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

My guesses, in order:

1. Avengers: Infinity War
    2. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    3. Solo: A Star Wars Story

I think if Solo "tanks" it might be edged out by Deadpool, but a Star Wars film just has so much momentum going in it's hard for me to really expect that. I don't know why anyone would want to see JW:FK after the garbage they put out for the last one, but it would absolutely shock me if it doesn't make as much or more as the prior film.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Avengers, Solo, Incredibles.

Marvel, Lucas, Pixar.

Sequel, sequel, sequel.

$, $, $.
    Disney sweep

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    My biggest debate is Solo vs JW.
    I'm going with the Star Wars because it looks like it will be lots of non-stop crazy happy action.
    I'm not going with JW because it looks like it will be a lot of non-stop crazy action, but lots of it depressing. I'm sure I'll watch it, but that one scene of all the dinosaurs plunging off the cliff to their watery graves is nothing I'm particularly interested in seeing. And it looks like the ones that don't jump are also screwed, so bring on the new extinction. Also, there are elements from the trailer that look amazingly stupid, which is what helped make the original sequel so lousy. (Too bad they didn't stick to the original sequel book, that was a great read.)

Avengers, Incredibles, and Solo, possibly in that order
    Same

Avengers
    Incredibles
    Solo