About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

Hail to the Chief! - An update on Cherokee Parks

A nice article (poorly edited, though) on Cherokee's life after basketball and his own personal journey of discovery:

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/cherokee-parks-story/
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Great read. Thanks for the link.

I am impressed

that the NBA has this program.

Thanks

SoCal

Interesting article, thanks for posting! I hope he's ok. The article makes his current period sound a lot like a manic phase of bipolar 2. It refers to prior self diagnosis and self medication. Hopefully that's changed and he's getting treatment for whatever depression he deals with. Definitely rooting for him!

Interesting update on the Chief. I'm glad that he seems to have found happiness, at least for now. I really enjoyed watching him play at Duke - there was a great fluidity to his inside-outside game.

Perhaps I am old fashioned (though I am only a few years younger than Cherokee), but this story leaves me wondering about the three (or more kids) who are mentioned. While Cherokee has wandered the globe looking for meaning and purpose, I'm not sure how much of a father they have had. It is really none of my business but I hope they are OK.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Interesting article, thanks for posting! I hope he's ok. The article makes his current period sound a lot like a manic phase of bipolar 2
    I got the same impression. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Perhaps I am old fashioned (though I am only a few years younger than Cherokee), but this story leaves me wondering about the three (or more kids) who are mentioned. While Cherokee has wandered the globe looking for meaning and purpose, I'm not sure how much of a father they have had. It is really none of my business but I hope they are OK.
    There is clearly a lot alluded to but unsaid in this article. "Partying" typically includes drugs and maybe his kids' mother didn't want him around in that case. Who knows.

When I took my sons to Duke Basketball Camp 2 years ago, Chief was one of the counselors and it looks like he's been attending K Academy. Despite all the attacks from the outside, this seems to be some proof that "The Brotherhood" is real. Reach out and the program (K) will reach back.

Cherokee has spent a good deal of time back at Duke, with the K Academy and helping out with the kid's basketball camps. He has also had his kids with him and even his nephew. I think Cherokee is a good guy and had a very under appreciated career because he unfortunately graduated during Coach K's hiatus year. I am glad to see him doing well.

Very nice article on Cherokee. Happy to hear he's doing well and enjoying what he's doing finally. He just had a lot of bad luck/timing with his Pro Career.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Interesting article, thanks for posting! I hope he's ok. The article makes his current period sound a lot like a manic phase of bipolar 2. It refers to prior self diagnosis and self medication. Hopefully that's changed and he's getting treatment for whatever depression he deals with. Definitely rooting for him!
    As someone diagnosed with Bipolar 2, I would agree. Self-medication has been my biggest issue as well. The issue is that when you are in a manic phase (with feelings of euphoria) it’s hard not to see anything other than that as a good way to live. Energy is sky-high and creativity is at its most potent. That’s why so many of us chase that feeling.

Great Cherokee moment in this clip - extending the lead late in the 1994 Semi vs Florida (it's around 40 seconds left in the game). Parks played really well that weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaNmsDXwFpY

i had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with cherokee at this years k. academy. all i can say is that he is an awesome guy.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    As someone diagnosed with Bipolar 2, I would agree. Self-medication has been my biggest issue as well. The issue is that when you are in a manic phase (with feelings of euphoria) it’s hard not to see anything other than that as a good way to live. Energy is sky-high and creativity is at its most potent. That’s why so many of us chase that feeling.
    If we could bottle and control hypomania . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Great Cherokee moment in this clip - extending the lead late in the 1994 Semi vs Florida (it's around 40 seconds left in the game). Parks played really well that weekend.

It is WAAAAAY too soon to bring up that Final Four...Scottie Thurman, Tony Lang almost getting a finger on it...SWISH.

That game cost me millions, literally. I had tee shirts and mugs ready to go saying

NCAA CHAMPIONS:
    1991 DUKE
    1992 DUKE
    1993 FLUKE
    1994 DUKE

I'd still be selling those today...even my cousin, a yuuge fan of the cheats, admitted those would've been hot.

1991 duke
    1992 duke
    1993 fluke
    1994 puke

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post

You underscored one of the plays that I've thought about for several years. Cherokee had a rough senior season, but that run through the tourney in his junior year was fantastic. I remember seeing Parks getting that carom at a bar in Atlanta, and thinking finally we secured an offensive rebound, and then the layup which gave me a little more comfort. That moment gets lost but it was extremely pivotal, and one of those plays that gets lost bc it wasn't flashy or highlight reel.

About 2 minutes earlier, Capel also hit a huge 3 to put us up. I believe that Florida double-teamed Grant and he hit Capel on the wing and he just launched it. Great memory. A Florida fan next to me just sighed "Capel"--as if to say, we had everyone else covered, and that young guy came through, but how did we lose him?