Page 10 of 109 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    Jabari got some serious burn in the blowout Bucks win. He played 30 minutes and scored 17 points.

I still think Milwaukee will let him walk. I believe they have to tender him a qualifying offer of $7.3 million, which I think they will do. It is possible he takes that so he can become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2019.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    "Miami's Justise Winslow was fined $15,000 by the NBA for intentionally stepping on Joel Embiid's mask during Game 3 of the Heat-Sixers series, the NBA announced."

Well Justise was never soft. He gave our 2015 champs a real toughness edge that was evident when our 2015 team beat the cheats. That toughness was also abundantly clear in the national championship game. Nate Dogg James is proud.
    As Laettner would say, it was just a love pat.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    No one's given up on Justise (like they have on Jahlil, who is in a really tough spot), but just think he doesn't possess the All-Star potential many thought he had coming into the league.

Justise - with his defense, intangibles, and good looks - will be in the league for a very long time. I unfortunately cannot say the same thing about Jahlil.
    Spolstra raves about Justise’s all around game, not to mention that he has improved his outside shooting and finishing on his drives to the basket. Nevertheless the Heat willl need a makeover so there are no guarantees for him in Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Jabari got some serious burn in the blowout Bucks win. He played 30 minutes and scored 17 points.

I still think Milwaukee will let him walk. I believe they have to tender him a qualifying offer of $7.3 million, which I think they will do. It is possible he takes that so he can become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2019.
    Given his history with knee issues, I've got to imagine that Jabari will be looking for a contract that's a bit longer term than 1 year and more lucrative than $7.3 million.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Unfortunately the reputations of members of that class is not great - Jah with the punching incident - Justise with the tripping and chippy play and Grayson with the tripping. Not the best look for the Duke guys.
    That remains my favorite Duke class of all time. So of course I could not be more biased. Tyus reputation will always be Stones, and so glad to see him making it strong in the NBA in his home state no less. What a dream come true. I don't normally follow NBA closely enough to follow his stats, but it's not unusual now to see him get 30 quality minutes a game at PG, playing for Thibs, helping take TWolves to playoffs, and earning his spot. He waited his turn and put in some work in the G-League while Minnesota had Rubio and some other point guards ahead of him. But he continues to live the dream. You didn't mention Tyus, but I think it's important to do so if we're talking about that class.

I agree with MountainDevil about Grayson. I think we all know his tripping incidents were some serious lapses in judgment, but I've never seen anything in college basketball more overblown out of proportion. Anything. Grayson has done more than enough to show growth and strong character. I think that is his reputation going into this draft as a smart player who makes his teammates better and who can shoot the lights out from pro range. He needs to get better consistency on his 3, but he will. I think he goes 2nd round, but I absolutely think he makes it in the NBA, filling a good role making his team better. Duke haters will always hate him. But I hardly think that silliness will get much mention or thought in the league either.

Justise is a tough badass playing well. Stepping on the glasses was not malicious or aggressive. I took it as kind of funny, and just part of the tough back and forth he was having with Embiid. It's not like he was trying to hide it. I think he just was trying to get in Embiid's head a little and under his skin. Not dirty to me. Justise is already a good NBA player on a playoff team, and his tough defensive mindset earns him respect. He's only going to get better. If he develops more consistent shooting and scoring ability, he can take it to another level. But he's a guy I'd want on my team. I don't think he has a reputation as a dirty player among his peers, just the Duke haters.

I also agree with Mountain on Jah. He made an immature mistake with the punching incident. But I think that has zilch to do with his problem right now which is not earning hardly any playing time. I loved Jah, his family, and what he brought to Duke. I think he's a good character guy too. If he's going to make it in the NBA, he's really going to have to work for it and prove himself. As a top 3 draft pick, I believe he has the ability to help a team. It sucks for him that he came into the league in a time when small ball and stretch 4's are now the game they're playing. He would probably be a stud player for some team back in the Pistons heyday when classic big men were at a premium. I still believe in him and sure hope he succeeds. To do it he's really going to have to believe in himself and work harder than he's ever worked.

So I think in total, the look for Duke's players is still uber-strong brotherhood representatives that I'm very proud of and will continue to root hard to succeed. Duke's players in the NBA show amazingly good character as a group IMO, at least from what little we see from the outside. Compare them with say Raymond Felton and Ty Lawson. Talk about about reputations not being great and not the best look for the Cheat guys. Or what about the greatest player Ol Roy has ever seen, P.J. Hairston? MJ drinking the Kool-Aid traded Shabazz Napier to get him on the Hornets. Hairston was waived by the Rockets Oct. 2016, to the D-League. And after that, he proved he still knows how to be a gangsta - lended cars driven fast, guns, drugs, and "harrassing communications":

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...151142902.html

Maybe it's UNCheat who should have taught their guys a little more class.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 04-21-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I'm picking/betting on the Pacers to win Game 4, so at the very least, I believe the Cavs will be down 3-1 in this first-round series. And then we'll see where they go from there.
    Vegas has Pacers -1.0. But I'll take the Cavs to win game 4. It's really must-win for them. I just have to bet on Lebron to rally his guys around a must-win game in a first round series against Bogdanovic and Oladipo. Bojan won't be hitting for another 30. I especially think the Cavs win after all the heat Lebron and the Cavs took in social media and media for showing up to game 3 in matching, tailor-made suits bought by Lebron and then blowing their lead. Lebron isn't going out like that.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...4l8?li=BBnba9I

Will be interesting for sure!

(And the Cavs really might be in trouble, I just predicted they'll win against the spread!)
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 04-21-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    As Laettner would say, it was just a love pat.
    Yep.

There is a difference between playing physical and playing dirty. Justise isn't afraid to play physical.

Examples of dirty players would be Kelly Olynyk and Zaza Pachulia.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I think Pippen was the greatest #2 guy in history. He could score, bring the ball up, play defense, rebound and make his team better..
    I would take Kevin McHale (#2 in support of the legendary Larry Bird) at his peak over Pippen as the best #2 guy in history. You had to actually see McHale play, though. Looking at the stats doesn’t come close to telling the true story for either Kevin or Scottie.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I would take Kevin McHale (#2 in support of the legendary Larry Bird) at his peak over Pippen as the best #2 guy in history. You had to actually see McHale play, though. Looking at the stats doesn’t come close to telling the true story for either Kevin or Scottie.
    LeBron as the #2 to Kyrie the past few years was pretty strong... just kidding, but Kyrie and Steph were pretty amazing number 2’s last year. Drexel to Hakeem. Kobe to Shaq, and then Shaq to Kobe. Kareem/Worthy to Magic. Wade (or was it Battier??) to LeBron.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    LeBron as the #2 to Kyrie the past few years was pretty strong... just kidding, but Kyrie and Steph were pretty amazing number 2’s last year. Drexel to Hakeem. Kobe to Shaq, and then Shaq to Kobe. Kareem/Worthy to Magic. Wade (or was it Battier??) to LeBron.
    I wouldn't rank Drexler very high up there on the list of #2s. He was a great #1 for many years in Portland, but was not as strong a player in Houston. My recollection is that when Houston won its titles, they had a pretty good supporting cast, but Olajuwon was just awesome.

Well, Belineli is now showing me that perhaps JJ doesn’t have so much to worry about…though, sheesh, no one on the Sixers is able to reliably produce any offense today outside of JJ. He’s really the only person they seem to run any actual sets for. Simmons is an amazing talent, but he relies mostly on broken plays or taking his man in the open court.

One thing I will say about NBA playoffs: as the pressure mounts, the game becomes -so- physical, that it can turn into ugly basketball. These guys are so physical and athletic that when they really start trying, bodies start flying and the defense becomes a wrestling match (JJ is literally held every time he tries to get free around a screen). I don’t know how the refs can keep up with all the contact.

I know the college game doesn’t have the athletes (or skill) of the pros, but in a single-elimination tournament, I think the pressure makes players more cautious, which can lead to more strategic and calculating basketball. (Of course, it can also lead to awful brick-fests like the 2002 finals, etc.) So I like the NCAAs not only because of the pressure and “madness” of the results, but the basketball is actually more watchable to me.

(ps: Winslow is playing like a real bad____ this game, which is fun to see...)

(And just after writing that, the Sixers suddenly stop turning the ball over, start running an offense, and look like a real team again. And Winslow starts fouling...)

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Pretty cool when your #2 has higher scoring, higher assists, higher usage, higher plus/minus, and higher solo win/loss rate than your "#1" guy.

Regardless of who's more talented, the Warriors are still through-and-through Steph's team and their entire game plan is built around him and not KD. It's worth pointing out that even in KD's best moment with the Warriors -- last year's finals -- he was succeeding partly because *Steph* was the focal point of the Cavs defense, not him. Remember that 2-on-2 fastbreak where both Cavs jumped out to defend Steph on the 3 point line and left KD a wide open dunk for example?

That Philly-Miami 4th qt was fun! JJ was able to answer Old-Man-Time Wade's heroics. Hilarious that on Wade's last FT miss, who sneaks in there among all the trees to snag the rebound, knowing Miami will foul and he can ice the game?...our man, JJ...

JJ was fabulous today. The only remotely reliable offensive player for Philly and he grabbed a huge rebound and then knocked down 2 FTs to ice the game. As the final horn sounded, JJ have a huge high five to Philly coach Brett Brown.

Meanwhile, Dwayne Wade looks like he is 28 again out there. I’m not sure if we are watching his final games, but if we are, he is going out in a biiig way. Props to one of the all-time greats.

Jason “Justise played a lot late in the game but had some bad mistakes on O. He’s fab on D, but still learning at the other end” Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

JJ was fabulous today. The only remotely reliable offensive player for Philly and he grabbed a huge rebound and then knocked down 2 FTs to ice the game. As the final horn sounded, JJ have a huge high five to Philly coach Brett Brown.

Meanwhile, Dwayne Wade looks like he is 28 again out there. I’m not sure if we are watching his final games, but if we are, he is going out in a biiig way. Props to one of the all-time greats.

Jason “Justise played a lot late in the game but had some bad mistakes on O. He’s fab on D, but still learning at the other end” Evans
    Entertaining, hard fought game. JJ is the man!

The Blazers were really good this year... won 49 games in the very competitive West... so how are the Pelicans handling them with such ease? It really feels like New Orleans is a whole different team with Davis at C, not PF.

-Jason "bye Boogie -- does that mean New Orleans will have some workable cap room?" Evans

The Blazers were really good this year... won 49 games in the very competitive West... so how are the Pelicans handling them with such ease? It really feels like New Orleans is a whole different team with Davis at C, not PF.

-Jason "bye Boogie -- does that mean New Orleans will have some workable cap room?" Evans
    The irony is that Davis HATES playing center. Even though they are clearly better when he is playing center.

As for cap space, no. In addition to big money for AD and Holiday, they have a bunch of money tied up next year in Mirotic, Solomon Hill, E'twaan Moore, and Alex Ajinca. So they have no money available.

AD seems to be a big fan of Boogie. Not sure he'd be happy with a trade.

I don't know quite what to make of the series. The Blazers live and die with their guards, and Dame was terrible all series. But the Pelicans D certainly had something to do with that, and the Pelicans O looked terrific. A bit scary from a Warriors fan perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    That remains my favorite Duke class of all time. So of course I could not be more biased. Tyus reputation will always be Stones, and so glad to see him making it strong in the NBA in his home state no less. What a dream come true. I don't normally follow NBA closely enough to follow his stats, but it's not unusual now to see him get 30 quality minutes a game at PG, playing for Thibs, helping take TWolves to playoffs, and earning his spot. He waited his turn and put in some work in the G-League while Minnesota had Rubio and some other point guards ahead of him. But he continues to live the dream. You didn't mention Tyus, but I think it's important to do so if we're talking about that class.

I agree with MountainDevil about Grayson. I think we all know his tripping incidents were some serious lapses in judgment, but I've never seen anything in college basketball more overblown out of proportion. Anything. Grayson has done more than enough to show growth and strong character. I think that is his reputation going into this draft as a smart player who makes his teammates better and who can shoot the lights out from pro range. He needs to get better consistency on his 3, but he will. I think he goes 2nd round, but I absolutely think he makes it in the NBA, filling a good role making his team better. Duke haters will always hate him. But I hardly think that silliness will get much mention or thought in the league either.

Justise is a tough badass playing well. Stepping on the glasses was not malicious or aggressive. I took it as kind of funny, and just part of the tough back and forth he was having with Embiid. It's not like he was trying to hide it. I think he just was trying to get in Embiid's head a little and under his skin. Not dirty to me. Justise is already a good NBA player on a playoff team, and his tough defensive mindset earns him respect. He's only going to get better. If he develops more consistent shooting and scoring ability, he can take it to another level. But he's a guy I'd want on my team. I don't think he has a reputation as a dirty player among his peers, just the Duke haters.

I also agree with Mountain on Jah. He made an immature mistake with the punching incident. But I think that has zilch to do with his problem right now which is not earning hardly any playing time. I loved Jah, his family, and what he brought to Duke. I think he's a good character guy too. If he's going to make it in the NBA, he's really going to have to work for it and prove himself. As a top 3 draft pick, I believe he has the ability to help a team. It sucks for him that he came into the league in a time when small ball and stretch 4's are now the game they're playing. He would probably be a stud player for some team back in the Pistons heyday when classic big men were at a premium. I still believe in him and sure hope he succeeds. To do it he's really going to have to believe in himself and work harder than he's ever worked.

So I think in total, the look for Duke's players is still uber-strong brotherhood representatives that I'm very proud of and will continue to root hard to succeed. Duke's players in the NBA show amazingly good character as a group IMO, at least from what little we see from the outside. Compare them with say Raymond Felton and Ty Lawson. Talk about about reputations not being great and not the best look for the Cheat guys. Or what about the greatest player Ol Roy has ever seen, P.J. Hairston? MJ drinking the Kool-Aid traded Shabazz Napier to get him on the Hornets. Hairston was waived by the Rockets Oct. 2016, to the D-League. And after that, he proved he still knows how to be a gangsta - lended cars driven fast, guns, drugs, and "harrassing communications":

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...151142902.html

Maybe it's UNCheat who should have taught their guys a little more class.
    If Justise wasn't one of my all time favorite Dukies I'm sure he would be my least favorite guy in the NBA. We clearly have different opinions on what he did and had done. Yes he does play tough and physical but he also has played dirty, cheap and used malicious seeming behavior at times.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking