Page 1 of 109 1231151101 ... LastLast

NBA Playoffs 2018

Post-season means a new thread for the conversation. I was toying with whether we should have a thread for general conversation and a separate one for talk about the performance of Duke players in the playoffs, but there are soooo many Dukies playing in the playoffs, it seems silly to separate the two.

So, consider this your collector thread for all playoff conversation.

-Jason "I'll get it started with this brief story about Minnesota native Tyus Jones celebrating the end of the TWolves looong playoff drought" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Here's a nice little story about Jayson Tatum and the other young Celtics... and the baptism by fire they are about to undergo.

Jayson Tatum could (and should) be the best of the three. He heads into his first postseason as the number one option on offense. Circumstance aside, let that sink in for a moment. He has the tools and the makeup to be a truly special scorer in this league and there’s no better place to be refined than by the fire of the postseason. Rotations get shortened, coaches key on limiting the top threats, and there’s no room for error.
    -Jason "in other news, Rodney Hood has been cleared to play again and should be the starting SG for the Cavs in the post-season" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

(From the original NBA thread)

I honestly think the warriors injuries are karma for having 4 all stars, and I'm sick of them walking through the west. I don't want anyone injured (except, maybe, a couple star rockets so the wolves can beat them in this round), and I think the rockets-warriors series is going to be great, but honestly if curry doesn't play then Quinn keeps getting serious playing time.
    But maybe not a ring. Depends on what you value more, and how important it is to you that the Rockets don't make the finals. Chris Paul could never win a game again and it would be perfectly fine with me, and I don't have much love for Harden either.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think his assumption was that we would all as Duke fans like to see Quinn win a ring, and that is the most likely way for it to happen this year. Certainly true in my case, any other team I would pick to pull for would be a distant second (would be either be the Philly or Boston).
    For sure Quinn has the best chance. #2 would be Rodney with the Cavs, though. #3 is JJ with Philly. #4 would be Quin with the Jazz.

So the Wizards signed Ty Lawson. Wasn't he in exile in China? He was, but his team lost the deciding game of the Semifinals, freeing him up to be signed by an NBA team just in the nick of time. He was less than brilliant in their loss, which has now led some Chinese fans to think that the tanking phenomenon had crossed the ocean and that he knew that he had to lose to get back into the NBA.

I’m not sure how to pull quotes from the closed thread but...

Cdu...I’m not hoping he stays injured. I’m just not hoping for his return to health. Fully neutral.

FDD....yes, silly me. I should be banned for a few days for not remembering kyrie’s injury.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Here's a nice little story about Jayson Tatum and the other young Celtics... and the baptism by fire they are about to undergo.

-Jason "in other news, Rodney Hood has been cleared to play again and should be the starting SG for the Cavs in the post-season" Evans
    Looking forward to watching Tatum vs. Parker in what might be Jabari's last games with the Bucks. After being eased back into the rotation, Jabari scored around 18 ppg in 33 minutes in April. He should be a big part of the series.

By the way, here's a link to season stats for all the Duke guys this year: http://bkref.com/tiny/3HNoj

Quin Snyder receives Zach Lowe's vote for NBA Coach of the Year (although Lowe predicts that either Stevens or Casey will win it).

Proud of Quin, the best coach in Duke's coaching tree

Did Amile become eligible for the Playoffs, despite not playing in an NBA game? He was on the roster for a few games. Additionally, is MP3 eligible to play?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Did Amile become eligible for the Playoffs, despite not playing in an NBA game? He was on the roster for a few games. Additionally, is MP3 eligible to play?
    RealGM suggests that Jefferson is on the T'wolves' playoff roster. Marshall, however, is not on the Bucks' playoff roster.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Yes, Amile's 2-way contract was converted to a standard NBA contract making him eligible for the playoffs.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

So this is free-agency related, not playoff related, but since this is the only NBA thread, here goes.

The Lakers are basically coming out and saying they are not just going to pay whoever they can get if they don't get who they want. It seems to me this would be an obvious management strategy, but teams seem to throw whatever available money they have at whoever the best free agent they can get is. Are there reasons (salary minimums) why teams would do this other than being so desperate to get someone that they hamstring themselves with bad contracts in years where they can't get solid high caliber players?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    So this is free-agency related, not playoff related, but since this is the only NBA thread, here goes.

The Lakers are basically coming out and saying they are not just going to pay whoever they can get if they don't get who they want. It seems to me this would be an obvious management strategy, but teams seem to throw whatever available money they have at whoever the best free agent they can get is. Are there reasons (salary minimums) why teams would do this other than being so desperate to get someone that they hamstring themselves with bad contracts in years where they can't get solid high caliber players?
    There IS a salary cap floor, but that should just mean that teams should sign players to 1-year contracts to get over it. When teams have signed mediocre players to big long-term contracts before, it's usually just bad scouting, poor salary cap management, or impatient ownership who want to try to "win now," imo.

Note that the Lakers themselves were guilty of those things as recently as the summer of 2016 when they signed Luol and Mozgov to long-term contracts. The reason L.A. is being circumspect now is perhaps because they learned the lesson the hard way.

1st-round matchups are below. Dukies are listed in blue. UNC players are listed in red for those interested in that. (Didn't want to use the vomit-inducing blue.)

Minutes per game for each player are also shown. Where there's a tilda (~), I'm guesstimating minutes for deep bench players since playoff rotations tend to be shorter.

Let me know if any mistakes or omissions.

EAST

1 Toronto Raptors
    vs
    Washington Wizards- Ty Lawson (~5 mpg)

Cleveland Cavaliers - Rodney Hood (25.3 mpg)
    vs
    Indiana Pacers - Assistant Coach David McClure

3 Philadelphia 76ers -
    JJ Redick (20.2 mpg)
    vs
    6 Miami Heat -
    Justise Winslow (24.7 mpg), Wayne Ellington (26.5 mpg), Director of Analytics Shane Battier, CEO Nick Arison

Boston Celtics - Jayson Tatum (30.5 mpg), Kyrie Irving (OUT for season), Co-Owner Stephen Pagliuca
    vs
    Milwaukee Bucks - Jabari Parker (24.0 mpg), John Henson (25.9 mpg), Tyler Zeller (16.9 mpg), Marshall Plumlee (unrostered)

WEST

Houston Rockets
    vs
    8 Minnesota Timberwolves -
    Tyus Jones (17.9 mpg), Amile Jefferson (~0 mpg)

Oklahoma City Thunder - Kyle Singler (~0 mpg), Raymond Felton (16.6 mpg), Director of Information Management Amanda Green
    vs
    5 Utah Jazz - Head Coach Quin Snyder, Assistant Coach Antonio Lang
    , Tony Bradley (~0 mpg)

Portland Trail Blazers - Ed Davis (18.9 mpg)
    vs
    6 New Orleans Pelicans - Frank Jackson
    (OUT for season)

Golden St Warriors - Quinn Cook (22.4 mpg)
    vs
    San Antonio Spurs - Danny Green (25.6 mpg), Assistant Coach Chip Engelland

Missed one:

3 Philadelphia 76ers - JJ Redick (20.2 mpg), Sixers Broadcaster Alaa Abdelnaby (OUT - ESPN/TNT Takeover)
    vs
    6 Miami Heat -
    Justise Winslow (24.7 mpg), Wayne Ellington (26.5 mpg), Director of Analytics Shane Battier, CEO Nick Arison
    "Quality is not an option!"

Why this endless doting on UNC and its former players in the NBA? Most of them (but not all) are good guys once they change unis, and many are friends with their Duke contemporaries.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Why this endless doting on UNC and its former players in the NBA? Most of them (but not all) are good guys once they change unis, and many are friends with their Duke contemporaries.
    How is listing them "endless doting" on them? (And actually, seeing all that blue in my post and so little red actually isn't very flattering to UNC).

Look, some DBR readers don't follow the NBA and may want some minor help to find an angle to care about these matchups. A fun way to decide which team to root for could be to see how many Duke players (coaches, etc) and UNC players are on each team. Your mileage may vary.

The primary purpose of my post is to the list the Dukies, of course. But some may have interest in the UNC players, too. For those folks, it's easy enough for me to provide both. This is all in fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    How is listing them "endless doting" on them? (And actually, seeing all that blue in my post and so little red actually isn't very flattering to UNC).

Look, some DBR readers don't follow the NBA and may want some minor help to find an angle to care about these matchups. A fun way to decide which team to root for could be to see how many Duke players (coaches, etc) and UNC players are on each team. Your mileage may vary.

The primary purpose of my post is to the list the Dukies, of course. But some may have interest in the UNC players, too. For those folks, it's easy enough for me to provide both. This is all in fun.
    You are not endlessly doting on UNC. I am offering an antidote to avoid the practice among others. I don't live in North Carolina and all my 4-5 yearly visits are to Duke. UNC is a rival, as far as I am concerned, but not an obsession.

Ciao,
    Sage Grouse
    'Although I did reverse the order of tee shirts in a shop at RDU yesterday to put the Duke ones in front'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Friends compare stats and talk trash too... It would be interesting to know the extent to which the Duke/unc rivalry permeates some match ups in the NBA. It has to be a factor for some players. I know it persists amongst UF, FSU and Miami players in the NFL and many of those guys have friendships that began in or before high school. I just can't see all of our players or their players letting bygones be bygones just because they're in the NBA.

I see both sides if this. I agree that the individuals who wear the ugly light blue don't necessarily deserve the continued contempt, but then I remember as recently as the mid-90s, when K has started to really kick butt and take down nets, when UNC fans would fall to their last resort: Yeah, but Duke doesn't have anyone in the NBA.

So... I will allow it.

*bangs gavel*