Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    I couldn't find a previous schedule speculation thread, so I changed the title of this one to be more generically about that topic. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Your on a role
    Thanks for the complement. Its appreciated.

Any speculation on the December cupcake games?

Also if anyone can't make those games, keep me in mind.

It's a little too early for the guarantee games. Those usually come from the local newspaper. We still have the ACC-B10 and Maui brackets to keep us interested, but the rest are guarantees in Cameron or Elon. We'll do a 8-5 or 7-6 split depending on where the ACC-B10 game is.

H: St. John's, Maui prelim? (1), TBD
    A/N: Maui (3), v. UK - Indy, v. TX Tech -MSG

I think we got lucky to get Syracuse yet again over the other school that we're overdue for a home-home, Clemson. Zion was an added ratings bonus and crowd motivator.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I think we got lucky to get Syracuse yet again
    Lucky? I think the Orangemen figure to be one of the top few teams in the conference next year. Our schedule is really tough.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Thanks for the complement. Its appreciated.
    Subtle. I like it.

@JonRothstein
    The return game of the home-and-home series between St. John's and Duke is expected to again be in the middle of conference play, per a source. Game is in Durham. #SJUBB
    Not sure if Ponds has made a decision on whether to withdraw from the draft, but this should make for another interesting game.

Duke will face Indiana in Cameron in the ACC/B10 challenge.

link

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Not sure if Ponds has made a decision on whether to withdraw from the draft, but this should make for another interesting game.
    He did, and he did. Ponds is back with the Storm.

Is 86 K's Fave team?

This is kind of related...Coach K at K Academy, etc - in this interview, he talks about the 86 team as one of his favorites. That team was always my favorite team, and they were the best team in the country that year. It was a shame they didn't win the Natty.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/a...212288924.html

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    He did, and he did. Ponds is back with the Storm.
    Can it be considered “pulling a Bootsie” when you know in advance it’s coming? Because that guy is totally going off for 30+ in Cameron. If sports gambling is legal by then, I am putting serious money down on that happening.

Can it be considered “pulling a Bootsie” when you know in advance it’s coming? Because that guy is totally going off for 30+ in Cameron. If sports gambling is legal by then, I am putting serious money down on that happening.
    I think Tre Jones is gonna put up more defensive pressure than Duval did.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think Tre Jones is gonna put up more defensive pressure than Duval did.
    Plus, generally, if a player went off on Duke the previous season, I tend to think the odds of them doing it again lowers the next season since we'll emphasize him even more in the gameplan. (It doesn't always work out that well, of course. I think Bonzi Colson had several big games on us).

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Plus, generally, if a player went off on Duke the previous season, I tend to think the odds of them doing it again lowers the next season since we'll emphasize him even more in the gameplan. (It doesn't always work out that well, of course. I think Bonzi Colson had several big games on us).
    1/24/1999 - Bootsy Thornton goes for 40 but Duke wins by 4 against St. John
    2/26/2000 - Bootsy goes for 22 as Duke falls by 1 in Cameron

3/13/2015 - Bonzie Colson scores 17 as ND beats Duke in ACC Semis
    1/16/2016 - Bonzie scores 31 (w/ 11 boards) as ND wins in Cameron
    3/10/2016 - Bonzie gets 12 (w/ 12 boards) as ND wins again in ACC Tourney
    1/30/2017 - Bonzie scores 17 (w/ 9 boards) in a loss to Duke in South Bend
    3/11/2017 - Bonzie gets 29 and 9 as Duke wins the ACC title
    3/8/2018 - Bonzie finishes his career against Duke (finally!!) with 18 and 9 in an ACC tourney loss to the Devils

--Jason "I need to think about some other guys who had huge games and then faced us in rematches" Evans

Robert “Tractor” Traylor from Michigan had a couple “big” games against us. He got the better of Brand in their matchups. I still remember their win in Cameron (one of only two or three non-conference losses in Cameron over a 20-ish year span) where Traylor put the game away by dribbling right down the lane and dunking on us.

Robert “Tractor” Traylor from Michigan had a couple “big” games against us. He got the better of Brand in their matchups. I still remember their win in Cameron (one of only two or three non-conference losses in Cameron over a 20-ish year span) where Traylor put the game away by dribbling right down the lane and dunking on us.

At 6-9/290, who shoulda been brave (foolish?) enough to get in his way?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

The game winning Traylor dunk was December, 1996. That play will forever be etched in my memory. Brand did not join the team until the following season.

IIRC, Michigan scored the final 10 points of the game to take that 1 point win. It was one of the most surprising losses I can recall for a Duke team in Cameron because we seemed to be in control the whole time.

12/9/1995 - Traylor 3 points, 5 rebounds as #2 Michigan beats #18 Duke by 4 in Ann Arbor
    12/8/1996 - Traylor 15 points, 5 rebounds as #7 Michigan beats #10 Duke by 1 in Durham
    12/13/1997 - Traylor 24 points, 13 rebounds as unranked Michigan beats #1 Duke by 8 in Ann Arbor

I have not checked, but I bet there are very few non-conference opponents who have won 3 in a row against Duke in the past 30 years.

-Jason " by the way, in 1998, Duke won 108 - 64... revenge game!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I have not checked, but I bet there are very few non-conference opponents who have won 3 in a row against Duke in the past 30 years.

-Jason " by the way, in 1998, Duke won 108 - 64... revenge game!" Evans
    Kansas is currently on a three game winning streak vs Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Kansas is currently on a three game winning streak vs Duke.
    Yup, nice call. They've got 4 of the past 5 against us. Need to reverse that trend!