Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Quiet Place

I got an Amber Alert in the middle of watching this movie in the theater. I don't understand why I was the only the one to get said Amber Alert...maybe everyone else had turned their phones completely off. It was a Monday matinee, and there were only a dozen or so people in the theater, so it was very clear where the noise was coming from. My phone was also only about a day or two old, so you can imagine there was much scrambling and confusion on my part amidst the obnoxiously loud alarms coming from my phone.

There can be no worse movie for this to happen in the middle of in the history of movies.

I pretty much never go to the theater anymore, so just saw this and really enjoyed it. I'm not a horror fan in the least, so not sure where to place it genre-wise. A whole bunch of plot holes, but that didn't bother me. I watch movies to be entertained. Some of the most lauded movies of all time I watch and go "meh". I've never been very sophisticated. But on the plus side, I suppose I'm easily entertained.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    I got an Amber Alert in the middle of watching this movie in the theater. I don't understand why I was the only the one to get said Amber Alert...maybe everyone else had turned their phones completely off. It was a Monday matinee, and there were only a dozen or so people in the theater, so it was very clear where the noise was coming from. My phone was also only about a day or two old, so you can imagine there was much scrambling and confusion on my part amidst the obnoxiously loud alarms coming from my phone.

There can be no worse movie for this to happen in the middle of in the history of movies.
    Hilarious! A true Inspector Clouseau moment. Glad to know these awkward situations do not only happen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Hilarious! A true Inspector Clouseau moment. Glad to know these awkward situations do not only happen to me.
    This is why I turn my phone off at a theatre or during meetings.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Rented over the weekend, and would agree more thriller than horror.

Well done, and perhaps the highest compliment I can pay is I wish I had seen it in the theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Rented over the weekend, and would agree more thriller than horror.

Well done, and perhaps the highest compliment I can pay is I wish I had seen it in the theatre.
    That's the ticket! Thriller! Thanks, I couldn't find the word.

I would call it a suspense, though I guess thriller works as well.

Definitely not horror flick. Too intelligent for that

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I would call it a suspense, though I guess thriller works as well.

Definitely not horror flick. Too intelligent for that
    The movie doesn't really pass the "think about it hard" test, though. Udaman undresses the movie well in his post upthread despite writing that he loved the flick, but as for me, I really do want a movie to pass the Udaman (he frequently makes these types of critiques on here) / "think about it hard" test for me to love it or to call it intelligent. To be fair, most films especially in the horror/thriller/sci-fi genres can't pass that test; you just kind have to suspend disbelief and go along for the ride, and if one does that, A Quiet Place is very entertaining.

Still, I am bothered that if you can speak and do anything you want around a waterfall / river, why doesn't the family spend 90% of their time there? Build a simple home there. And if the monsters unthinkingly race towards sounds, why not lure them into traps? And why didn't the family cover or get rid of that nail in the wooden step a long time ago? Truly one of the more ridiculous, uncreative Chekhov's gun plot devices I've seen. There's a lot more that can be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    The movie doesn't really pass the "think about it hard" test, though.
    I was only comparing it to members of the "horror" genre which these days is the "how much blood and guts and senseless violence can I pack into 90 minutes" genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    The movie doesn't really pass the "think about it hard" test, though. Udaman undresses the movie well in his post upthread despite writing that he loved the flick, but as for me, I really do want a movie to pass the Udaman (he frequently makes these types of critiques on here) / "think about it hard" test for me to love it or to call it intelligent. To be fair, most films especially in the horror/thriller/sci-fi genres can't pass that test; you just kind have to suspend disbelief and go along for the ride, and if one does that, A Quiet Place is very entertaining.

Still, I am bothered that if you can speak and do anything you want around a waterfall / river, why doesn't the family spend 90% of their time there? Build a simple home there. And if the monsters unthinkingly race towards sounds, why not lure them into traps? And why didn't the family cover or get rid of that nail in the wooden step a long time ago? Truly one of the more ridiculous, uncreative Chekhov's gun plot devices I've seen. There's a lot more that can be said.
    The way one of the things ripped through the silo I think the family would have been hard-pressed to build a trap that could hold one. There were a lot bigger holes in the story than that (as you alluded to). The more I think of the movie, the more I find. But at least I think about the movie, more than I can say for most afterwards. Again, you just have to go along for the ride.

I (finally) got around to watching this...loved it! I can see why people were so high on it in the Spring Box contest (although even after seeing it I wouldn't have picked the sequel). I'm honestly not exactly sure what directly the sequel will go in (seems like it can't be a suspense thriller this time, and will end up being more like an action movie).

Very belated thoughts that probably nobody is interested in (despite it being 2 years later I'm going to use spoiler tags since I probably wasn't the only person who hasn't seen it yet):

Spoiler!