Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Men's Final Four 2018 Thread (Loyola-Chicago, Michigan, Villanova, Kansas)

I decided to start this men's Final Four thread after mentioning the lack of one in another thread.

It was hardly a chalk outcome, but you will find four 1s in the Final Four. Of course, two of those 1s are next to each other in 11-seed Loyola-Chicago.

Objectively, and with a side of UNC schadenfreude, this has been a pretty great NCAA Tournament. It may continue to be entertaining, and I plan to watch what I can.

Saturday, March 31
    Loyola-Chicago vs. Michigan (6:09pm ET, TBS)
    Villanova vs. Kansas (approx. 7:49pm ET, TBS)

Monday, April 2
    Championship game (8pm ET, TBS)

Not sure about chat, so I'll end with a trivia question here.

Trivia: 2018 Final Four team Loyola-Chicago represents the Missouri Valley Conference. Prior to 2018, which current member school of the MVC was the most recent to reach a Final Four? (Wichita State, a MVC school in 2013, is no longer in the MVC.)

I think the answer to the trivia question would be Larry Bird's Indiana State Sycamores, in the iconic Bird v Magic Final.

Note about Loyola: read a good bit about how that team is put together this past week...I get the sense Porter Moser is one of the very best coaches in the country. It was interesting to hear K State coach Weber talk about how well prepared Loyola was for them on two day turnaround.

And I think Nova rips Kansas today.

I am rooting for Loyola with Duke out, and have been impressed with their coach as well. I do expect they will be very well prepared with an intelligent and crafty strategy. This is a real Team, very bonded and they pass as well as any team in the country. I give them a chance to win tonight, after that it would take the game of the century against probably Villanova, but upsets do happen!

Unlike the previous 11 seeds to make the Final Four, Loyola hasn't really had a single-game huge upset yet (LSU, George Mason, and VCU had to beat 1 seeds Kentucky, UConn, and Kansas). Maybe they still have it in them?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Unlike the previous 11 seeds to make the Final Four, Loyola hasn't really had a single-game huge upset yet (LSU, George Mason, and VCU had to beat 1 seeds Kentucky, UConn, and Kansas). Maybe they still have it in them?
    I'd like to think so, but I suspect their run is done. Other 11 seeds seem to have succeeded by being taken for granted. I think there is zero chance that Michigan overlooks Loyola in the Final Four.

It's just rock-paper-scissor-lizard-Spock, here folks.

Michigan covers Loyola (sorry Sister Mean jean who reminds me of every butt-kickin' I took in catholic school)

Villanova covers Kansas (too much talent spread over that much floor, y'all aint that long.)

Then Nova CRUSHES Michigan - after all this loveliness that was this season and one of the best tournaments EVER - most boring Monday in April ever.

Until next week when we have nothing but sitcoms and the second week of baseball...

I think Nova wins both their games easily

Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post
    Until next week when we have nothing but sitcoms and the second week of baseball...
    Ugh... The doldrums.

The so-called experts have Nova winning a close game, while Loyola goes down easily to the Wolverines. It should be interesting to see how the new venue changes the play of the four teams, if at all

I'll take the Custer led Loyola team in an upset and Nova with a comfortable win over KU. I do realize people have been disrespecting Kansas all season long, but I've liked what I've seen from Nova this tourney.

Of course on Monday night Custer gets scalped by Nova.

I'm definitely rooting for Loyola

If Loyola wins, this tournament may actually end up being about them winning it all.

If one of the other teams win, this tournament will most likely be remembered most for UVA losing as a 1-seed to a 16-seed.

I think Nova wins, but KU is certainly capable of an upset.

Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    I'm definitely rooting for Loyola

If Loyola wins, this tournament may actually end up being about them winning it all.

If one of the other teams win, this tournament will most likely be remembered most for UVA losing as a 1-seed to a 16-seed.
    I think in all likelihood this tourney is shaping up to be remembered as Jay Wright establishing Villanova as the hottest college basketball program in America. They earned a good draw with mostly consistent play this year, and they're about to parlay that into 2nd Natty in 3 years. Let's just hope many of them go pro, because none of them have to leave.

Everybody knew a 16 would eventually beat a 1. It was inevitable, just bad luck for UVA. It will get a spot in One Shining Moment. It will be mentioned every time a 16 plays a 1 for the next few years. But it's not going to even be the biggest story of this crazy tourney.

UVA and Bennett will be back with a vengeance next year. So will Duke, hopefully.

Can honestly say I couldn't care less about this year's Final Four than ever before. Still believe we were the only squad that could beat Villanova. Doubt I will watch any of it..I will most likely just watch our victory over UNC I recorded over and over..

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Can honestly say I couldn't care less about this year's Final Four than ever before...
    Yep. Planning on not giving a single whit.

Going to bed early so I can get a headstart on ending Lent with Easter bloody marys!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Can honestly say I couldn't care less about this year's Final Four than ever before. Still believe we were the only squad that could beat Villanova. Doubt I will watch any of it..I will most likely just watch our victory over UNC I recorded over and over..
    I feel ya bros. When Duke is Final Four worthy, but does not make it, I can't stand to watch. I won't even watch The Masters - because the voice of Jim Nantz will haunt me.

Normally, I watch a lot of both!

Loyola can’t hit anything

They can't buy a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    They can't buy a shot.
    Still in it despite almost 8 min without a FG

Roger Ayers is calling this game!? Are you effing serious? He gets to ref a Final Four game after the absolute crap show he put on last weekend?

This is total BS. He's a joke, his grade had to have been atrocious, especially after that call on Carter.

Basketball is stupid. Go Loyola, I guess?
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Ramblers

Go Ramblers. Need to keep Wagner off the offensive glass or get him ifoul trouble