Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Hooray, the season is less than three months away!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    OPK, get to Banff as soon as you can. You won't be disappointed. The Canadian Rockies are a sight to behold. Bring your hiking boots.
    I second this, I absolutely loved Banff.

A suggestion where to eat if anyone attends the Duke games in Canada:

http://synd.imgsrv.uclick.com/comics...8/dr180523.gif
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Jordan Henry
    ‏ @Jor_Henry
    1m1 minute ago

Confirmation from @DukeMBB via @stevewisemanNC:
    Duke vs. @RyersonRamsMBB 7 p.m. Aug. 15

Duke vs. @Blues_Hoops 6 p.m. Aug. 17

Duke vs. @McGillMBB 3 p.m. Aug. 19

"Ticket and television information is still being finalized and will be announced at a later date, said Mike Cragg"
    The two games in Mississauga (suburb west of Toronto) will be nasty to get to, especially the one on Friday at 6:00pm. Traffic is bad all the time in that area, but it gets worse on a Friday in the summer when cottagers flee the city in all directions (although mostly north). If you're planning on attending, choose your hotel carefully for location, and then leave extra time to make the commute.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenorth View Post
    The two games in Mississauga (suburb west of Toronto) will be nasty to get to, especially the one on Friday at 6:00pm. Traffic is bad all the time in that area, but it gets worse on a Friday in the summer when cottagers flee the city in all directions (although mostly north). If you're planning on attending, choose your hotel carefully for location, and then leave extra time to make the commute.
    Yeah, Mississauga and Laval, I have to say from a visitation standpoint, they could have put the games in more desirable locations.

Mississauga Bombing

Holy moly! At a restaurant named Bombay Bhel. Link.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yeah, Mississauga and Laval, I have to say from a visitation standpoint, they could have put the games in more desirable locations.
    Was there a concern that the team wouldn’t get to see enough Canadian suburbia?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Is there any news as to how to get tickets to the games? Particularly, the one in Toronto?
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Goduke.com announcement here: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

ESPN in the US and TSN in Canada. Tickets on sale in June.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Was there a concern that the team wouldn’t get to see enough Canadian suburbia?
    Afraid perhaps they'll all go nuts on St. Catherine St. Opportunity lost, Montreal and T.O. are so great, and Laval and Mississauga so aren't.

Afraid perhaps they'll all go nuts on St. Catherine St. Opportunity lost, Montreal and T.O. are so great, and Laval and Mississauga so aren't.
    I completely agree.

I took a few minutes to look at the rosters for the schools. Almost all of their players are Canadian - one would think they would raid the US more for players. Each school has a lot of coaches. Ryerson has a 7-2 player from Senegal who started 9 of 23 games and averaged 5.8 ppg. All teams have at least a few guys who are 6-8 or bigger. There is a player named Christopher Barrett on Toronto but I don't think he is related. No other names stood out.

Toronto was 13-11 last year. Ryerson was 17-6 and looks like they lost in the finals of two post season tournaments, though it looks like their leading scorer is graduating (hard to tell the class years). McGill was 26-12. McGill played a lot of exhibitions vs. American teams, losing to Alabama (96-57), SMU (86-83), Towson, Siena, Hofstra and Lamar and beating UTEP twice, Kent State and St. Francis of Brooklyn.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I took a few minutes to look at the rosters for the schools. Almost all of their players are Canadian - one would think they would raid the US more for players. Each school has a lot of coaches. Ryerson has a 7-2 player from Senegal who started 9 of 23 games and averaged 5.8 ppg. All teams have at least a few guys who are 6-8 or bigger. There is a player named Christopher Barrett on Toronto but I don't think he is related. No other names stood out.

Toronto was 13-11 last year. Ryerson was 17-6 and looks like they lost in the finals of two post season tournaments, though it looks like their leading scorer is graduating (hard to tell the class years). McGill was 26-12. McGill played a lot of exhibitions vs. American teams, losing to Alabama (96-57), SMU (86-83), Towson, Siena, Hofstra and Lamar and beating UTEP twice, Kent State and St. Francis of Brooklyn.
    Yeah, in the national semifinals this past season, Ryerson actually eliminated Carleton, the team that has won 13 of the past 16 national championships: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_U...onship#Bracket

It's possible Ryerson will provide some good competition.

ETA: it looks like McGill was also in the Final Four and gave Carleton a good game in the 3rd place game.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, in the national semifinals this past season, Ryerson actually eliminated Carleton, the team that has won 13 of the past 16 national championships: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_U...onship#Bracket

It's possible Ryerson will provide some good competition.

ETA: it looks like McGill was also in the Final Four and gave Carleton a good game in the 3rd place game.
    I don't understand why Duke was not interested in playing Carleton...odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    People will say Duke was ducking a team that might be able to give them a game. I'm afraid those people will be right.

I was wondering the same.

Playing Carleton in Ottawa would violate the evident Let's Play In Inferior Cities theme of this tour. Unless we played them in Chicoutimi.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    People will say Duke was ducking a team that might be able to give them a game. I'm afraid those people will be right.
    Perhaps, but the fact that Duke scheduled two other Final Four teams (including one that eliminated Carleton) means we didn't load up on scrubs, either.

Playing Carleton in Ottawa would violate the evident Let's Play In Inferior Cities theme of this tour. Unless we played them in Chicoutimi.
    Made me laugh. (Though probably few others).

The last time I saw McGill University, who we are scheduled to meet in Montreal, play, they were not capable of giving an average US high school team a game.
    Of course, that was almost 60 years ago.