Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post
    Does this mean that, in addition to measuring height and reach in cinder blocks, DBR will start measuring weight in terms of ducks?
    Well, they float and so does wood...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Well, they float and so does wood...
    So if ol' roy throws a player under the bus, he's a witch?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    So if ol' roy throws a player under the bus, he's a witch?
    And, what do we do with witches?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    We should not play Carleton. They may turn us into a newt:

https://www.thesocial.ca/news/bizarr...study-at-a-can
    And yet this is a more serious course of study than anything that athletes at uNC are involved in.

Of course, after making fun of Carleton for having a sorcery major, I seem to recall Duke having a paranormal studies program in the early/mid 80’s I think.

Of course, after making fun of Carleton for having a sorcery major, I seem to recall Duke having a paranormal studies program in the early/mid 80’s I think.
    Duke was a pioneering institution for the field of parapsychology. The field was led by Dr. James B. Rhine who came to Duke in the late 1920's. There used to be the Institute of Parapsychology on Buchanon Blvd just east of East Campus.

Google it and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Duke was a pioneering institution for the field of parapsychology. The field was led by Dr. James B. Rhine who came to Duke in the late 1920's. There used to be the Institute of Parapsychology on Buchanon Blvd just east of East Campus.

Google it and learn.
    There was a time when Duke was best known to the non-sports world for Dr. Rhine and the Rice Diet.

Come to think of it, that would make a great name for a rock group.

The Rice Diet was the province of Dr. Walter Kempner. Buchanon Blvd. was also the home of several Rice Houses where meals were served and patients cared for. Buddy Hackett was a regular and Elvis did a stint in the 70's to lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    There was a time when Duke was best known to the non-sports world for Dr. Rhine and the Rice Diet.

Come to think of it, that would make a great name for a rock group.
    Yes, but JB Rhine's parapsychology was total nonsense, in the view of most Duke faculty from that era. Dr Rhine did have a sense of humor and some degree of humility. When he addressed freshman assembly, he said his colleagues sometimes referred to "parapsychology" as "perhaps psychology."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yes, but JB Rhine's parapsychology was total nonsense, in the view of most Duke faculty from that era. Dr Rhine did have a sense of humor and some degree of humility. When he addressed freshman assembly, he said his colleagues sometimes referred to "parapsychology" as "perhaps psychology."
    But he could bend spoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Hey what’s wrong with a Newt?? 😜
    I say nothing at all is wrong with a Newt. And you can ‘Mark’ that down.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The Rice Diet was the province of Dr. Walter Kempner. Buchanon Blvd. was also the home of several Rice Houses where meals were served and patients cared for. Buddy Hackett was a regular and Elvis did a stint in the 70's to lose weight.
    Participants in the Rice Diet program used to be regular participants in mock trials and such when I was in law school.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Participants in the Rice Diet program used to be regular participants in mock trials and such when I was in law school.
    I watched the local premier of The Godfather in Durham and upon taking my seat heard an awfully familiar (and awful) voice behind me, Buddy Hackett. He was in the Rice Diet program but got tossed out, I believe, for ordering pizzas, which for some reason seems to have violated some provision of the diet. Details, details. But I also knew a sportswriter from Jersey City who came to Durham at 370 lbs and left at about 150 pounds. Good way to spend the basketball season for him...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I watched the local premier of The Godfather in Durham and upon taking my seat heard an awfully familiar (and awful) voice behind me, Buddy Hackett. He was in the Rice Diet program but got tossed out, I believe, for ordering pizzas, which for some reason seems to have violated some provision of the diet. Details, details. But I also knew a sportswriter from Jersey City who came to Durham at 370 lbs and left at about 150 pounds. Good way to spend the basketball season for him...
    Buddy "attended" so often that he bought a house in Willowhaven and was a member of the Country Club. He loved his golf.

On the subject of 'Duke visiting Canada?', has there been any official verification from Duke athletics eh?
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Jordan Henry [Ryerson play by play announcer]
    ‏ @Jor_HenryVia sources: Duke Men’s Basketball is making a pre-season trip to Canada. Sounds like they'll play Ryerson August 15th at @hersheycentre in Mississauga, University of Toronto Aug. 17th at Hershey and McGill Aug. 19th at Bell Place in Laval. A homecoming showcase for @RjBarrett6

The prior word was that the trip was supposed to last through 8/21. If so, that would allow another game with Carleton, which has won the Canadian college championship thirteen of the last fifteen years but there's nothing about Carleton in this tweet so maybe that's not happening.

Got this from Jordan Henry when I asked about Carleton:

Jordan Henry
    ‏ @Jor_Henry
    19s19 seconds ago
    Replying to @SocSecBlog @hersheycentre and

Talked to Carleton head coach Dave Smart two days ago, he told me "We tried, they had no interest"

Steve Wiseman says the games will be televised "in some form" and that it's "in the works."

Mrs. OPK goes to Alberta and Banff every autumn so I’ll vote for that. Look forward to joining her on the trips when the kids are in college or beyond. (sooner than I am ready for, though)
    OPK, get to Banff as soon as you can. You won't be disappointed. The Canadian Rockies are a sight to behold. Bring your hiking boots.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Jordan Henry
    ‏ @Jor_Henry
    1m1 minute ago

Confirmation from @DukeMBB via @stevewisemanNC:
    Duke vs. @RyersonRamsMBB 7 p.m. Aug. 15

Duke vs. @Blues_Hoops 6 p.m. Aug. 17

Duke vs. @McGillMBB 3 p.m. Aug. 19

"Ticket and television information is still being finalized and will be announced at a later date, said Mike Cragg"