Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    How's the metro system? I have used it int he past and thought it was good?

Toronto is a phenomenal city but to be blunt traffic and transit are a bit of a mess and are really holding the city back from it's true potential....it's the main reason I moved away as I just couldn't handle two hours of traffic to get across the city on any given day. If you can live downtown close to your work/friends then you've found Nirvana.

Now I call Ottawa home and was fortunate enough to catch Syracuse vs Carleton a few years back at the Canadian Tire Centre which was a phenomenal game. Carleton truly has a great program and dominated Syracuse until the last five minutes where the Orange made their run and barely got the game into OT. OT was another great quarter where the Orange eventually pulled it out...good times.

If Duke shows up this summer...lets just say that I'll be one happy Ottawan (yes that's what they call someone from Ottawa).

Hey, if it happens I am in for a Canada trip. I refuse to eat those crazy poutine things but will otherwise enjoy Canada in the summer.

If it happens, it would be fun to meet up with some of you in the Great North.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    England a few years prior to that. Seem to remember that one of our players mentioned that it was fun flying commercial. His team flight experience in USA limited to charter planes.
    I think the London trip was the very first one that any college program ever took. K was credited with discovering this "loophole" that allowed him extra practices and an early start to the season. Everyone screamed bloody murder about it... and then started doing it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenorth View Post
    I heard an interesting rumor that the Blue Devils would be visiting Canada during the pre-season this year. The presence of RJ Barrett could be a factor in this (possible) trip. Barrett's father, Rowan, is an executive VP with Basketball Canada. If the rumor is true, I'd expect Duke to play in Ottawa, as both Carleton U. and the U of Ottawa are located there and feature strong programs (Carleton has won the Canadian championship at least a dozen times since 2002-03). Another possibility is Ryerson University, located in Toronto. Ryerson recently lost the Canadian final on a last second shot.

Trips such as this one have been made many times in recent years by D. I programs, usually in late August or early September. They get to start training early, and of course there is the bonding aspect while traveling. For a young team it can be a good way to get the season going. Of course, they have to be aware that the games can be harder than anticipated. Carleton in particular has been a tough opponent for visiting squads. Add in the different FIBA style rules (four quarters, 24 second shot clock, etc.) and it can be a bit of a wakeup call for visiting teams.

Has anyone else heard of this possibility?
    You may be right, bluenorth. (I've actually been looking forward to an announcement since you posted. This trip just makes too much sense NOT to be true.)

Peter Yannopoulos@PeteYannopoulos 2h2 hours ago
    Breaking: Looks like Coach K and the #Duke Blue Devils will be in #Montréal this summer for a Foreign Tour & play McGill, potentially at Place Bell in Laval. They’ll also play Ryerson in Toronto. Chance for fans to see phenom RJ Barrett. More details to follow. #RDS

Montreal, now that's a real city.

How does one get tickets for pre-season trips? Are they made available through Duke, or are they just sold by the local organizers? I live just outside of Montreal, so I definitely need to get my hands on tickets for this.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Don't omit Toronto or Vancouver. All wonderful cities, each for different reasons.

Don't omit Toronto or Vancouver. All wonderful cities, each for different reasons.
    I vote for Calgary. Beautiful background and a short drive to Banff. Definitely my favorite part of Canada.

Well, apparently, you can take your team on a trip anywhere in the world every year as long as you don't play any games there. You can also carry along an ESPN reporter to broadcast back what your linebackers think of the Eiffel Tower, since there must be nothing else worth reporting now that the NFL draft is over.

My favorite Canadian City is Windsor, but that’s because I got my maple leaf tattoo there before the last Duke bowl game.

Beats Juarez for game tats, even though El Paso was a better bowl town than Detroit.

Will Duke be playing Carleton University? They've won 13 of the last 15 Canadian college basketball championships.

No love for Winnipeg? At least we have a hockey team now.

Mrs. OPK goes to Alberta and Banff every autumn so I’ll vote for that. Look forward to joining her on the trips when the kids are in college or beyond. (sooner than I am ready for, though)

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Blasphème!

Scandaleux!

Absurde!

(try them with some brisket )

And, yes, I see what you did there.
    There's a place called The Lucky Monk in South Barrington (Illinois) where the poutine comes smothered in stout beef gravy. i keep pestering them to sell the gravy in jars at checkout (ain't gonna happen). They make fresh batches before opening and sometimes during the day. Heavenly.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    You may be right, bluenorth. (I've actually been looking forward to an announcement since you posted. This trip just makes too much sense NOT to be true.)

Peter Yannopoulos@PeteYannopoulos 2h2 hours ago
    Breaking: Looks like Coach K and the #Duke Blue Devils will be in #Montréal this summer for a Foreign Tour & play McGill, potentially at Place Bell in Laval. They’ll also play Ryerson in Toronto. Chance for fans to see phenom RJ Barrett. More details to follow. #RDS
    I'm hearing that one potential opponent for Duke would be the University of Toronto. U of T's gym seats 2000, which is pretty good for Canada but not big enough for an event like this. The game would likely be at a different facility, maybe in Mississauga (a suburb just west of Toronto).

Stampede to Calgary.

Where's the love for Quebec?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It is a beautiful and fun one.
    Agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I vote for Calgary. Beautiful background and a short drive to Banff. Definitely my favorite part of Canada.
    I love the mountains, but there's another awesome area of Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Will Duke be playing Carleton University? They've won 13 of the last 15 Canadian college basketball championships.
    I hope this would be one of the matchups as they would give Duke a good run for an exhibition game. Their coach seems amazing with what he's accomplished. Ottawa is a nice city and close to Montreal and Toronto.
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    No love for Winnipeg? At least we have a hockey team now.
    And a seemingly well supported team.
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Another great city, but I can't let this go any further without my East Coast and Halifax plugs. It also would be nice for Duke to play the winningest university coach in Canada 🇨🇦... coach K.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Konchalski Bonus: he coaches St. FX in Nova Scotia, less than 2 hours from Halifax, but unfortunately, a 13ish hour drive from Montreal and 19ish from Toronto.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Would make a great country.

Ontario hates having to print everything in French.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    It is a beautiful and fun one.

Agreed

I love the mountains, but there's another awesome area of Canada

I hope this would be one of the matchups as they would give Duke a good run for an exhibition game. Their coach seems amazing with what he's accomplished. Ottawa is a nice city and close to Montreal and Toronto.

And a seemingly well supported team.

Another great city, but I can't let this go any further without my East Coast and Halifax plugs. It also would be nice for Duke to play the winningest university coach in Canada ����... coach K.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Konchalski Bonus: he coaches St. FX in Nova Scotia, less than 2 hours from Halifax, but unfortunately, a 13ish hour drive from Montreal and 19ish from Toronto.
    Nova Scotia is great. 40 years ago I bike/camped around the peninsula with a bunch of law school buddies. One of the highlights of my life. If Duke plays in Montreal, my wife and I may have to make the trek to Nova Scotia also.