Just watched a video of 1992 team in ACC final

Thank you youtube!

Duke/Carolina
    Final Score 9x-7x Duke

Close in the first half, with Duke shooting almost 60% at one point and still behind! UNC was getting easy layups all first half and our 3 pointers weren't falling. Opened the second half with a patented run in the first 5 mins and never looked back. What a lovely team.

There has been a lot of talk about Hurley on the boards lately. I must say Hurley was so darn quick; there's a moment in the second half where he broke Derrick Phelps' ankles-- I mean sent him flying 10 feet off him and to the ground--with speed and dribble fakes alone. No iverson crossover or between the legs action whatsoever.

Another thing I had forgotten is that Grant Hill brought the ball upcourt a handful of times--with Hurley on the floor!

I also got another close look at Antonio Lang, who got a lot more playing time when Grant hurt his ankle that year. I don't recall how highly ranked Antonio was in high school (someone more knowledgeable than me please speak up), but we've been missing that kind of tall, athletic do-everything guy lately. Antonio didn't look for his shot, but was a great rebounder, defended well and got his share of putbacks. Maybe this would be a good role for Lance Thomas to emulate? I know we hoped he'd be a focal point inside, but if he becomes Antonio by his senior year, will that be a disappointment?

The 1992 team loved to push the ball, and their fast break was a thing of beauty. Obviously we can't model our game after that squad, with 3 all-americans, but success is a good model, and if we're gonna run this year, the 1992 squad would be a great one to emulate.

Quote Originally Posted by trinity92 View Post
    !

I also got another close look at Antonio Lang, who got a lot more playing time when Grant hurt his ankle that year. I don't recall how highly ranked Antonio was in high school ,
    He was the Valedictorian of his high school class. Oh, you meant in basketball!
    Last edited by -jk; 10-26-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: fix quote tag

link? please.
    ~rthomas

Grant did some "point forward" while Hurley was out with the broken foot.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    link? please.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUfS4dvaTy8

The whole game is up in 9 segments. Will try to edit later to include reference to which segment contains the hurley play, but the entire second half is an amazing, heart-warming display of basketball. Remember, this is a 20 point drubbing of a team, which virtually unchanged, would be the next-year's national champs, except this team had Hubert Davis! When I say drubbing, I mean Ron Burt, the (Cameron favorite) walk-on, got to play before it was over.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by trinity92 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUfS4dvaTy8

The whole game is up in 9 segments. Will try to edit later to include reference to which segment contains the hurley play, but the entire second half is an amazing, heart-warming display of basketball. Remember, this is a 20 point drubbing of a team, which virtually unchanged, would be the next-year's national champs, except this team had Hubert Davis! When I say drubbing, I mean Ron Burt, the (Cameron favorite) walk-on, got to play before it was over.

Enjoy!
    Guess it was a cross-over. Segment 7/9 3:30 in. Check my boy!
    Last edited by trinity92; 10-26-2007 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Watched it again

What's surprising about that 92 team is just how mediocre they were on the season defensively. It's really quite staggering considering how successful they were. It goes to show you that defense does not win championships.

For those baffled by this statement, the 92 team had the 3rd highest defensive efficiency (that is, points given up per possession) of any Duke team in the last 20 years - the only teams worse were 95 and 96. That 92 team nearly gave up 1 point a possession (.9987) - mostly because it was the 2nd worst Duke team in that span defending the 3.

Even so, they were also the 2nd best offensive Duke team in that span (ranking them among the best offensive teams in the nation in that time frame). So maybe defense isn't all that important when your offense is just that good.