Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Capel to Pitt

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    I don't think Louisville would have hired anyone with any NCAA detritus(no matter how small) associated with him.
    True that, but aren't all of us - fans, schools, administrations - looking to Grayson Allen this mess and get a little redemption going on?

Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post
    While I wish him the best of fortunes, I think this is a HORRIBLE move. How does he expect to attract talent and win there? He recruited well at Duke because, well, you know, it's DUKE and Coach K, winners, great education, fellowship, transforming talent into masterfulness, commitment, POWER, tradition, strength and confidence through competence, from Cameron to the courtroom, classroom to boardroom, the White House to the NBA's highest payroll and highest executive.

The upside is one ACC win next year is a step up.

Good Luck Coach C. You gonna need it...
    Man, you really ARE KenTankerous.

If Smith goes to Pitt (or Marquette), I wish him well. It's great if he stays, but I think it's also good for young guys like him to leave the nest and learn some things on their own. They can always come back (like Capel) even more valuable! Or become even more successful somewhere else. Best of luck to Smith, whatever he does.

Re: the Pitt meet-and-greet. I watched the whole thing. Two little Duke things that came out:

- Right before Capel talked about being the first African-American HC at Pitt, the reporter who asked him about it said simply, "I thought it was a charge". Capel said, "Me, too." No other references to the game, Carter, etc. Just that.

- Capel said that he thought Scheyer was pranking him about the Pitt job. He got a call about it, and he thought it was Scheyer, because Scheyer has an app on his phone for prank calls. Capel said he does it all the time to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Wow. You were one "Conference of Champions" or "Pyramid of Success" reference away from a fantastic Bill Walton riff. I'm impressed.

Coach C figured out how attract talent and win at VCU. I think he'll do just fine at Pitt. Which job do you think he should have taken instead?
    Sorry to go back but I kinda gotta here.

Bill Walton is a Hoops Hosanna to be revered and exalted! Thank you for the compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post
    Sorry to go back but I kinda gotta here.

Bill Walton is a Hoops Hosanna to be revered and exalted! Thank you for the compliment!
    You're welcome! We have a few Grateful Red fans around here. A few times when Bill is in fine form, I have texted the young Turks "You should be watching the UCLA-Arizona game. Professor Walton's seminar is in session!"

Walton recently was wondering in a parking lot at Oracle Arena. Some mope on the Warriors gave him a ride ... somewhere.

One toke over the line, no doubt.

Rather pathetic.

There could be NO WORSE example of analyst. He's a babbler.

At least Walton has a generational excuse. Dickie V just has a generational degeneration, not that that is a bad thing. I work with that everyday. But we do not let them have microphones and national platforms...

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Walton recently was wondering in a parking lot at Oracle Arena. Some mope on the Warriors gave him a ride ... somewhere.

One toke over the line, no doubt.

Rather pathetic.

There could be NO WORSE example of analyst. He's a babbler.
    It's basketball with a side of unintentional stand-up comedy. At the very least, unlike some other over-vocal announcers Bill Walton is easy to turn out while you watch...it's background noise.

According to Jeff Goodman on Twitter, Jeff is hiring his brother Jason to join his staff at Pitt. Cool to see them working together, I felt kind of bad that Capel was having so much success while Jason was a sideline reporter for the ACC network.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    According to Jeff Goodman on Twitter, Jeff is hiring his brother Jason to join his staff at Pitt. Cool to see them working together, I felt kind of bad that Capel was having so much success while Jason was a sideline reporter for the ACC network.
    He went to UNC. Why do you feel bad?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    He went to UNC. Why do you feel bad?
    Jeff was bet-ter: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Jason Capel and Tim O'Toole are expected to join Jeff Capel's staff at Pitt.

So lots of nepotism. One blood family link and one Duke family link
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Capel has picked up a couple guards to add to next year’s roster. He said in an interview recently that he had interviewed all of the current players and had gotten a handle on which ones were staying and which ones were undecided. Seems like his rebuilding job is well underway.

http://triblive.com/sports/college/p...xavier-johnson

I am loving everything Coach Capel has been doing thus far, and the AD is making some good moves too. This weekend, Pitt announced that they will reconfigure the Pete for the 2019-2020 season. Since the Pete was built, fans have always hated the way it shows on TV games. The benches are in front of a set of suites (what's the opposite of skyboxes? Cellarboxes?), where Pitt's wine-and-cheesers sit (OK, maybe they are "pierogies-and-Iron-Citiers"). Anyway, that side of the building always looks half-dead and half-empty, even when the Pete is rocking.

They're going to flip the court, putting the benches in front of the Oakland Zoo, and showing that view as the primary TV angle.

Changes coming to the Pete in 2019-20

Money quote:

“When you see our games on national television, I don’t think it showcases our team and students as well as it could,” [AD Heather] Lyke said. “The Oakland Zoo is one of the best assets we have at Pitt... When they built the Pete, they essentially built it backwards."

I am loving everything Coach Capel has been doing thus far, and the AD is making some good moves too. This weekend, Pitt announced that they will reconfigure the Pete for the 2019-2020 season. Since the Pete was built, fans have always hated the way it shows on TV games. The benches are in front of a set of suites (what's the opposite of skyboxes? Cellarboxes?), where Pitt's wine-and-cheesers sit (OK, maybe they are "pierogies-and-Iron-Citiers"). Anyway, that side of the building always looks half-dead and half-empty, even when the Pete is rocking.

They're going to flip the court, putting the benches in front of the Oakland Zoo, and showing that view as the primary TV angle.

Money quote:

“When you see our games on national television, I don’t think it showcases our team and students as well as it could,” [AD Heather] Lyke said. “The Oakland Zoo is one of the best assets we have at Pitt... When they built the Pete, they essentially built it backwards."
    Backwards?

crazy eyes.jpg

In Pittsburgh, they're called YINZER'S

Who would have ever thought that giving the best and most visible seats to the students, rather than the alumni who donate the most money, would be a good idea?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    In Pittsburgh, they're called YINZER'S
    Lol. No, the yinzers are the folks who sit in the upper deck and call into talk radio to complain that Jamie Dixon wasn't a good coach, and by the way, neither is Mike Tomlin.

I suspect the cellarbox (floorbox? - we still need a better word) people are just like corporate types everywhere. They give enough money to Pitt and take their clients to the Pete for a game because it's too cold to play a round at Oakmont.

Money quote:

I wasn't sure which side held the benches, etc. while looking around at graduation. Now I'm guessing the cellar boxes were in the section that was draped off below our seats. The other side looked like a wall with doors. Walking in, there was a large screen that was showing a Jeff Capel picture at the time. Niece Elizabeth had good things to say about their AD and the things she was doing.

Props to our friends running the front page on keeping people updated with Jeff Capel's progress at Pitt.

Media got a 30-minute look at practice; here's one take on Pitt's expected "small ball" approach and possible starting lineup.
    I remain all in on Jeff and expect the Panthers to provide an unpleasant surprise to teams looking for a gimme "W".

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/P...s/201809270090