Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Capel to Pitt

Capel to Pitt

This makes more sense than Scheyer. Sorry to see him go, but glad to see him back in the first chair with a lot of potential.

There went our recruiting spree ...

So what does this do to the "Capel successor to K" rumors? Is that squashed because Capel went off and did the HC thing at an ACC school?

Also, I imagine this is going to really hurt in our recruiting. Capel has been *key* in getting these 5* guys to Duke.

Mind. Blown.

Well, that came out of nowhere...

I wonder then if the stuff with Scheyer is Pitt trying to get him to join Jeff's staff? Like Jeff said he'd only go if Scheyer is hired as his head assistant or something.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    So what does this do to the "Capel successor to K" rumors? Is that squashed because Capel went off and did the HC thing at an ACC school?

Also, I imagine this is going to really hurt in our recruiting. Capel has been *key* in getting these 5* guys to Duke.
    Yea - I definitely feel like this is going to hurt our recruiting and I always thought the reason he stayed at Duke was to replace K.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Mind. Blown.
    This tells me K is coaching another 20 years and Capel didn’t want to wait.

Color me shocked. I thought there was an unwritten rule that the Assistants had all of K's blessings to find an HC job, so long as it's not in conference.

Wow. Still digesting.

ETA: Or maybe this is a brilliant ploy in that Capel will send the Pitt transfers to Duke, one up Ole Roy with a whole gaggle of Pitt transfers. How you like that, Roy?

- Chillin

Well, if true, certainly brings a whole bunch of change our way in 2018-19; players, coaches......

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Mind. Blown.
    Is this really so surprising? It rather makes sense to me. I mean, Capel has fought back hard from being a power five head coach who lost his job under unfortunate circumstances. He has been sitting next to K, recruiting his rear off, and filling in the big chair on occasion. Do you begrudge him taking another swing?

His first big job will be recruiting back those folks that asked for a release. That will keep him busy for a bit.

I wish him nothing but the best. He has given Duke as much or more than anyone this side of K. And, it may let the Indomitable Nate James slide over a seat.

Go get em Jeff!

Congrats to Coach Capel!

I almost feel like the Scheyer talk was a decoy.

I'm sure Jeff has Coach K and Duke's full support on this move. He's still very much in the running, imo. I'd be surprised if he and his agent did't negotiate an easy path out if the Duke job were ever offered to him.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlue666s View Post
    There went our recruiting spree ...
    Doubtful. If you read/watch prospect interviews after they commit, they pretty much all say they came to Duke for Coach K. Now, perhaps Jeff was very good at selling Coach K to recruits. That's possible. But I feel like that's a skill that can be passed on to the next lead recruiter.

Brutal news. Potentially a game changer for our recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Is this really so surprising? It rather makes sense to me. I mean, Capel has fought back hard from being a power five head coach who lost his job under unfortunate circumstances. He has been sitting next to K, recruiting his rear off, and filling in the big chair on occasion. Do you begrudge him taking another swing?

His first big job will be recruiting back those folks that asked for a release. That will keep him busy for a bit.

I wish him nothing but the best. He has given Duke as much or more than anyone this side of K. And, it may let the Indomitable Nate James slide over a seat.

Go get em Jeff!
    I think it's surprising because people expected him to take over for K in a few years, and here he goes and signs a 7 year deal? Which means either he doesn't think K will retire any time soon or he doesn't think he'll be the replacement.

Is Coach K looking to go in a different direction, recruiting wise?

He is directly competing and a 7 year deal. Sounds like maybe same thing as with Hopkins and Boeheim. K not planning to retire anytime soon.

Mind blowing- rumors were about Scheyer being interviewed in Durham

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Congrats to Coach Capel!

I almost feel like the Scheyer talk was a decoy.
    Or somebody got wind that Pitt people were talking to Duke people and just assumed it was regarding Scheyer.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Dang, really? If this is true, it sucks on several fronts:

1. Duke loses its main recruiter, a guy who could reach so many players. It's not obvious who replaces him.
    2. Duke loses a former head coach on its bench. Capel wasn't amazing filling in for K while he was out, but he was at least competent.
    3. Duke has to play Pitt. Capel knows K and is better able to plan against him. I think K is better, but the edge needs to be acknowledged.
    4. In the past, Duke had someone ready to step up when someone left. Is Scheyer the man? James? Smith? I think all have big question marks. I hope they prove me wrong.
    5. I will hate rooting against Capel. I'll do it, but I won't like it.
    6. Pitt is a pretty tough place to try to build a program, so I don't know if he can be successful.

Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Go get em Jeff!
    I find it surprising.

I’m not saying Pitt is a horrible job but if Capel wanted to leave I am surprised that he hasn’t had more enticing oppurtunites to leave.

I assumed he was very happy in the spot he had and was waiting to see what would happen when K retires.

Hopefully the good news out of this development is that Coach K doesn’t plan on going anywhere anytime soon.

Capel has played a large role in our recruiting success but Scheyer has also been mentioned and credited with a lot of that success.

Quote Originally Posted by Messimorgan17 View Post

He is directly competing and a 7 year deal. Sounds like maybe same thing as with Hopkins and Boeheim. K not planning to retire anytime soon.

Coaches get out of contracts all the time so I'm not sure the 7-year thing means much

Quote Originally Posted by Messimorgan17 View Post

I sure hope it means Coach K is planning to stay around a long time.