Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    https://mobile.twitter.com/BobbyHurl...103106/photo/1

Bobby Hurley’s daughter graduates too (from Duke).
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Would have been way more impressed with a Cook "2" jersey.

bump

I noticed that this thread had dropped off the first page. That just didn't seem right especially with Grayson showing off at the combine

Grayson AMA

I know this is an old-ish thread, but I wasn't sure if this warranted a new one.

Grayson Allen is doing an AMA on reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...layer_and_nba/

As you might expect, a lot of the questions so far are... not so nice. I'm not sure this was a great idea for him to do. It'd be great if he could get some additional thoughtful/appreciative questions as well..

Quote Originally Posted by 91Duke View Post
    I know this is an old-ish thread, but I wasn't sure if this warranted a new one.

Grayson Allen is doing an AMA on reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...layer_and_nba/

As you might expect, a lot of the questions so far are... not so nice. I'm not sure this was a great idea for him to do. It'd be great if he could get some additional thoughtful/appreciative questions as well..
    I'm honestly impressed that Grayson has been able to take the hate so far (not specifically calling out this AMA, just talking more generally) without being so resentful. Shows a lot of maturity. I might not be so kind to people if that stuff came my way. I'm far removed from that and it still makes me uncomfortable and makes me want to scream! I think having Coach K in his corner did a lot to help his psyche, but no college amateur should have to go through the ridiculous onslaught that Grayson did. There are a lot of college athletes that have done much much worse things than him...

Having said all that, I appreciate you Grayson and hope you kill it in the league! His jersey WILL be a pretty damn good seller though, I'll tell you that much.

He's given some pretty insightful answers about meditation, his most talented teammates, and how he feels about coming back to Duke and seeing his draft stock fall. Will try to post some highlights once he's finished.

My two favorites so far:

Q: How does it feel to know that you've left plenty of money on the table going back to school one too many times, because of the feeling behind your skill is that now of a second-round prospect?
    A: Theres way more money in staying in the league than just getting to the league as soon as you can. I feel like Im in a better position now to stick and find a spot on a team longterm than I was two years ago.

Q: Who is your favorite teammate from Duke and why is it Marshall Plumlee?
    A: Marshall Plumlee because Marshall Plumlee

I maintain that the "hate" will expire the moment he is drafted by the Milwaukee Bucks (or any other NBA team).

Great chance for a reset for Grayson. All will be well. NBA fans outside of NC (possibly Wisco, so bad example) won't give a rip about his college career.

Good luck, young man.

I know he might have cost himself some cash by staying all four years, but staying four years and grinding as really paid off for Quinn Cook and Seth Curry(get well!). A lot of these three-four year dudes can already be plugged into a rotation as a solid 7th or 8th guy right off the bat.

For Grayson, it might have been best for him to stay just from a personal standpoint. If he left after his sophomore year maybe he has a solid rookie year like Luke did on a forgettable team, but I think he'd more than likely find himself fighting off the mental expectations like Austin had to during his time in New Orleans. Like Rivers, I think Grayson will settle himself into a nice rotation spot somewhere.

Re-posting some of the highlights here (i.e. most of the ones that aren't about video games). He answered A LOT of questions, so I'd recommend checking out the whole thing:

• Why didnt you come out your sophomore year when you hypothetically could have gone top 20? Do you ever regret staying in school only to be overshadowed by some of your younger teammates?
      Learning more from Coach K and graduating were the two biggest reasons for staying. I dont regret it because I feel like I learned a lot on and off the court. I also learned how to play with a lot of extremely talented guys which is exactly what Ill have to do in the NBA

• How does it feel to know that you've left plenty of money on the table going back to school one too many times, because of the feeling behind your skill is that now of a second-round prospect?
      Theres way more money in staying in the league than just getting to the league as soon as you can. I feel like Im in a better position now to stick and find a spot on a team longterm than I was two years ago.

• I'm a diehard Carolina fan who graduated from UNC in 2017. How much does the Carolina-Duke rivalry mean to you? Did you change your preparation for those games during the week or did you treat it like any other game? (You going off in the last few minutes in the Dean Dome in 2016 will sting forever, btw)
      It means a lot because of the history of the rivalry. I played UNC around 10 times in my 4 years and they were always the most fun games. Your mental preparation has to be a little different because the environment is so different than any other game.

• People have drawn comparisons to you and Laettner, being leaders on Duke teams with some questionable in game stuff. My question is has Laettner's handling of this image and his quasi-embracing of "villain" status been an influence on your mentality?
      Im an introverted person who is uncomfortable with attention (negative and positive) so it was a little different for me. I had to learn to embrace the "villian" status in my own way. Leadership is also something I had to grow into because it was tough for me to speak up at first.

• What did your daily schedule look like at Duke? How many hours a day did you put into basketball?
      Film/ lifting in the morning. Classes would go from around 9-1230ish. We would be at the gym from about 1-5 watching film, doing pre practice work in the training room, practicing, and getting shots up, and then have study hall or a night class after.

• How has meditation helped you in playing basketball? I played basketball in high school and I realized that most of the best games I ever played were when I was "mindless" and wasn't thinking and instead reacting. However, meditation teaches you to be "mindful" and to observe your thoughts. What's your take on that?
      For me, mediation helps with staying focused and not letting my mind wander. During games there are so many distractions/ thoughts that could arise like the crowd, a bad play, or a missed shot. Meditation helps me to stay "in the zone" and use basketball instincts instead of getting distracted by different trains of thought.

• How do you think Javin and Marques will adapt to being the senior-type leaders on next year's team? What do you think of next year's team with them as well as Zion, Barrett, Reddish, and Tre?
      I think they have a good group of older guys that will be leaders. Javin, Antonio, J Rob, and Marques will all do a great job. I think Marques is going to make a lot of improvement and have a really good year. He has a ton of potential. The freshman are obviously super talented so Im excited to see what they can do.

• What were your first impressions of some of the other Duke players, and did they turn out to be right or wrong?
      Jayson was killing people in 1 on 1 from the first day he stepped on campus so we all kinda knew he was going to be really good early on in his NBA career

• Who was the most talented Duke teammate you played with?
      Its a tough one because there have been so many, but I have to go with Brandon Ingram from a pure talent/potential standpoint. Jahlil, Jayson, Harry, and Marvin are all up there though

• Who's the best player at Duke during your 4 years there?
      Jahlil Okafor

• Who's the toughest opponent you've faced at the college level?
      I hated going up against UVA slow pace/ packline defense

• Toughest player you've had to guard?
      Its tough to pick one, but the first player that comes to mind is Dennis Smith. When his outside shot is falling hes tough to stop.

• Who was your favorite teammate in your four years at Duke?
      Marshall Plumlee. One of the weirdest/ greatest guys Ive met

• Who is your favorite teammate from Duke and why is it Marshall Plumlee?
      Marshall Plumlee because Marshall Plumlee

• Which NBA players do you think you are most similar to in terms of play style?
      Eric Gordon. Everyone wants to make the JJ comparison though

• What did you do when you found out about the meme between you and Ted Cruz looking alike?
      I honestly didnt see it at first, but its impossible to deny now

• If asked to play Ted Cruz in a movie, would you do it?
      for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Re-posting some of the highlights here (i.e. most of the ones that aren't about video games). He answered A LOT of questions, so I'd recommend checking out the whole thing:

• What did you do when you found out about the meme between you and Ted Cruz looking alike?

for sure
    Thanks for the entire summary. I want to follow up with a tweet from Grayson yesterday. It appears that Jimmy Kimmel has challenged Ted Cruz to a 1-on-1 basketball game. No idea if they are going to play on a basketball hoop or a basketball ring, but Grayson's response to hearing about the game was hilarious.

grayson.jpg
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Thanks for the entire summary. I want to follow up with a tweet from Grayson yesterday. It appears that Jimmy Kimmel has challenged Ted Cruz to a 1-on-1 basketball game. No idea if they are going to play on a basketball hoop or a basketball ring, but Grayson's response to hearing about the game was hilarious.

grayson.jpg
    Thanks for sharing this. Well played by Grayson. (Comments prove, once again, that people can be very strange.)

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post

• Why didnt you come out your sophomore year when you hypothetically could have gone top 20? Do you ever regret staying in school only to be overshadowed by some of your younger teammates?
      Learning more from Coach K and graduating were the two biggest reasons for staying. I dont regret it because I feel like I learned a lot on and off the court. I also learned how to play with a lot of extremely talented guys which is exactly what Ill have to do in the NBA

• How does it feel to know that you've left plenty of money on the table going back to school one too many times, because of the feeling behind your skill is that now of a second-round prospect?
      Theres way more money in staying in the league than just getting to the league as soon as you can. I feel like Im in a better position now to stick and find a spot on a team longterm than I was two years ago.

• I'm a diehard Carolina fan who graduated from UNC in 2017. How much does the Carolina-Duke rivalry mean to you? Did you change your preparation for those games during the week or did you treat it like any other game? (You going off in the last few minutes in the Dean Dome in 2016 will sting forever, btw)
      It means a lot because of the history of the rivalry. I played UNC around 10 times in my 4 years and they were always the most fun games. Your mental preparation has to be a little different because the environment is so different than any other game.

• People have drawn comparisons to you and Laettner, being leaders on Duke teams with some questionable in game stuff. My question is has Laettner's handling of this image and his quasi-embracing of "villain" status been an influence on your mentality?
      Im an introverted person who is uncomfortable with attention (negative and positive) so it was a little different for me. I had to learn to embrace the "villian" status in my own way. Leadership is also something I had to grow into because it was tough for me to speak up at first.

• What did your daily schedule look like at Duke? How many hours a day did you put into basketball?
      Film/ lifting in the morning. Classes would go from around 9-1230ish. We would be at the gym from about 1-5 watching film, doing pre practice work in the training room, practicing, and getting shots up, and then have study hall or a night class after.

• How has meditation helped you in playing basketball? I played basketball in high school and I realized that most of the best games I ever played were when I was "mindless" and wasn't thinking and instead reacting. However, meditation teaches you to be "mindful" and to observe your thoughts. What's your take on that?
      For me, mediation helps with staying focused and not letting my mind wander. During games there are so many distractions/ thoughts that could arise like the crowd, a bad play, or a missed shot. Meditation helps me to stay "in the zone" and use basketball instincts instead of getting distracted by different trains of thought.

• How do you think Javin and Marques will adapt to being the senior-type leaders on next year's team? What do you think of next year's team with them as well as Zion, Barrett, Reddish, and Tre?
      I think they have a good group of older guys that will be leaders. Javin, Antonio, J Rob, and Marques will all do a great job. I think Marques is going to make a lot of improvement and have a really good year. He has a ton of potential. The freshman are obviously super talented so Im excited to see what they can do.

• What were your first impressions of some of the other Duke players, and did they turn out to be right or wrong?
      Jayson was killing people in 1 on 1 from the first day he stepped on campus so we all kinda knew he was going to be really good early on in his NBA career

• Who was the most talented Duke teammate you played with?
      Its a tough one because there have been so many, but I have to go with Brandon Ingram from a pure talent/potential standpoint. Jahlil, Jayson, Harry, and Marvin are all up there though

• Who's the best player at Duke during your 4 years there?
      Jahlil Okafor

• Who's the toughest opponent you've faced at the college level?
      I hated going up against UVA slow pace/ packline defense

• Toughest player you've had to guard?
      Its tough to pick one, but the first player that comes to mind is Dennis Smith. When his outside shot is falling hes tough to stop.

• Who was your favorite teammate in your four years at Duke?
      Marshall Plumlee. One of the weirdest/ greatest guys Ive met

• Who is your favorite teammate from Duke and why is it Marshall Plumlee?
      Marshall Plumlee because Marshall Plumlee

• Which NBA players do you think you are most similar to in terms of play style?
      Eric Gordon. Everyone wants to make the JJ comparison though

for sure
    Jesus. What happened? Not saying Grayson is wrong, but Grayson played with Ingram, Jayson, and Marvin. And Jahlil was the best?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Jesus. What happened? Not saying Grayson is wrong, but Grayson played with Ingram, Jayson, and Marvin. And Jahlil was the best?
    Yeah. His answer on the earlier question made more sense, when he said Ingram was the most purely talented, and then right behind him were Jayson, Jahlil and Marvin.

And Harry....sigh, what could have been.

Well...Jahlil was ACC POY so he was pretty dominant during his one year.

Jahlil was dominant as a freshman. His ability to score in the low post opened up multiple scoring opportunities for his team mates. I guess it is ultimately subjective and one could argue for the other guys but Jahlil, notwithstanding his professional failures, was a great college player.

I agree with a previous poster, we never saw what Harry Giles could have done.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Jahlil was dominant as a freshman. His ability to score in the low post opened up multiple scoring opportunities for his team mates. I guess it is ultimately subjective and one could argue for the other guys but Jahlil, notwithstanding his professional failures, was a great college player.

I agree with a previous poster, we never saw what Harry Giles could have done.
    Agreed on Okafor. He was ACC POY and a First Team All-American. Neither Ingram or Tatum were even First Team All-ACC (they were 2nd and 3rd respectively), or led their team in scoring. There is clearly an argument for Bagley, who had similar accolades and better stats. But I would guess that Jah being a classmate and having won a Natty tips the balance for Grayson.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Agreed on Okafor. He was ACC POY and a First Team All-American. Neither Ingram or Tatum were even First Team All-ACC (they were 2nd and 3rd respectively), or led their team in scoring. There is clearly an argument for Bagley, who had similar accolades and better stats. But I would guess that Jah being a classmate and having won a Natty tips the balance for Grayson.
    If Tatum had been able to play the whole season the way he did towards the end, maybe the answer changes. I do think the fact that they came in together also impacts things, partly from a camaraderie standpoint, but also sort of an exposure bias (that was probably the first time Grayson played on a team with someone that talented, even if Bagley was slightly better which can be debated it didn't have that new experience feel that would have been present for Okafor).

People forget how good Okafor was because he’s been a flop in the pros, but he was flat out unstoppable from day one. He was an automatic double team every time he touched the ball, which you cannot say about any of our other OAD players.