Cable Access Television

A buddy of mine has come to me with a multi-page document explaining his vision for a television show he hopes to start via Cable Access. My first thought? "Oh brother, another wannabe." He's smart though and I kind of like his idea. He wants me to be a part of it.

What we both do not know (at all) is how to go about getting a television show on cable access. Does anyone on this board have any experience in this area? Any and I mean ANY information would be helpful.

I know I can research this on my own through other means - and I will - but I wanted to ask here first because DBR is one helluva resource for almost anything.

Any serious advice? Anyone? Thanks in advance.

-EarlJam

I know nothing about cable access television, but is there a reason you would go that route, as opposed to a video podcast or video blog (vlog)?

Is it of local relevancy only? Do the cable stations provide cameras and studio space?

True story: There was a cable access channel show in the San Fernando Valley in the early '90's which interviewed the starlets of the day. And if you know your So.Cal. culture, well these were not Hollywood blockbusters if you catch my drift. Well, at the end of the show, the starlet would get sans clothing. Not sure how long the show aired, but it probably scored well in the key demographic.

Looks like I killed this one pretty quick...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Looks like I killed this one pretty quick...
    I don't think it's you so much as it's the lack of answer to DA's question. I would be similarly silent if someone asked for advice starting a typewriter business -- just seems like an outdated approach.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    I don't think it's you so much as it's the lack of answer to DA's question.
    Does that mean someone has finally stumped us here on DBR? I thought we had experts on everything here. Then again, it is the weekend so maybe he'll get an answer come Monday. And Jason Evans is in tv...maybe he'll have something to add.

I interviewed for a job with FiOS TV content management in which one of the group's odd duties was to weed through hours of submitted tapes from the "public". I think this was mainly NY-area cable access, but I imagine that the process is similar in other areas.

My assumption is that an individual creates their video and simply sends it to the proper cable company or community representative. Someone would have to look through it to make sure there wasn't anything obscene and would then add it to the queue to be broadcast.

That's all I know on the process. (Note: I didn't take the job)

earl

call your local cable provider, or go to their website. or just find the website for the public access channel in your area - it should be pretty clear, and if not look for a phone number and they can help you.

public access can actually be pretty awesome. this is the site for a show my friends have made, and its truly hilarious.

myspace.com/imonpublilcaccess