Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Quinn-sanity!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "a piece of me hates that 2015 is largely remembered for the uber-talented freshmen. Quinn was a mega-stud and a leader that year" Evans
    I believe this was due to the fact that he had a slightly down game in the championship against Wisconsin, while the 4 freshman carried the team. But nobody outside of Duke fans (and even a lot of Duke fans), seems to remember that he was the 2nd best player on the team that year. The guy was 2nd team All-ACC, folks.

I have a ton of respect for the the way he's clawed his way in to the NBA. That's just hard work and perseverance. We should all be proud of this guy!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Porkpa -- Jason got the answer. But it's easy to find --

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/

Then click "Player Database" and look up the player. Then under "Cook's Links" find "Game Logs." Easy-peasy. Even a UNC player could do it.
    Now sage, I wouldn't go that far. GoDuke!

Quinn set the standard for growing into a leadership role. His transformation from a somewhat mercurial player to stud senior anchor was remarkable.

Glad he is doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Quinn set the standard for growing into a leadership role. His transformation from a somewhat mercurial player to stud senior anchor was remarkable.

Glad he is doing well.
    Cook always had leadership skills. See his consoling of a despondent Thomas Robinson (like Cook, a DC kid) after Duke beat them in Maui. Players have always LOVED him and looked up to him. It's just the on-court game that took time to develop. And yes, the development of his game over time was quite impressive - most notably (to me) his stepping up into a defensive stud as a senior.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Cook always had leadership skills. See his consoling of a despondent Thomas Robinson (like Cook, a DC kid) after Duke beat them in Maui. Players have always LOVED him and looked up to him. It's just the on-court game that took time to develop. And yes, the development of his game over time was quite impressive - most notably (to me) his stepping up into a defensive stud as a senior.
    And just recently Grayson gave Cook a shout-out for encouraging him(Grayson) in his freshman year and we know how that turned out. Quinn has always been a great guy and as you noted his on-court skills has improved greatly. I'm rooting for Quinn to make someone's roster either this season or at least by next season. GoDuke and GoQuinn-sanity!

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I believe this was due to the fact that he had a slightly down game in the championship against Wisconsin, while the 4 freshman carried the team. But nobody outside of Duke fans (and even a lot of Duke fans), seems to remember that he was the 2nd best player on the team that year. The guy was 2nd team All-ACC, folks.

I have a ton of respect for the the way he's clawed his way in to the NBA. That's just hard work and perseverance. We should all be proud of this guy!
    I remember Marshall Plumlee and Amile Jefferson having a big time game in the final too. Particularly Amile. I don’t think we would have won without his defense.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I seem to remember Cook having issues adjusting to college ball, especially since he was hindered a bit coming in by a knee injury. But he stuck it out and ended up gaining some maturity and experience overcoming adversity that has paid off for him.

I do think he had to wait wayyyy too long to get his chance. He was absolutely destroying G-League competition and wasn't really getting quality minutes in the NBA. I was surprised that Seth Curry got a shot before Quinn Cook did, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

This 2018 team is very good, but it doesn't quite have the star power of that team. I think only Wendell and Marvin belong in the conversation with those 4. Grayson, Gary, and Trevon are a notch below.
    Hot take alert! Interesting -- the personnel is certainly different between the two teams, but I think Grayson more than deserves inclusion in the same conversation as the 2015 "stars." End-of-season results, like a second NCAA championship, have the potential to color our opinion of Grayson's career even rosier. But even now I'd say his leadership and grit have provided this team with a character equal to Cook's in 2015.

Marvin's star power outshines Jahlil, I think. WC is this year's Justise Winslow. But you're right about Gary and Trevon as a notch or two below Tyus.

Nice article on Quinn in the local paper here.

“A lot of people are telling me to live in the moment and keep doing what you’re doing,” Cook said. “I’m not trying to act like I’m surprised. I just want to keep being aggressive. Coach told me to keep being aggressive. That’s why they signed me.”

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    LOL! Well, maybe not. Can't Q and C play together in the same back court? Dawkins and Amaker, for example!
    Uh no. That would mean Klay Thompson, All-Star/Splash Brother/lock down defender/Mr. 37-freaking-points-in-one-quarter, sits or gets traded. Not likely to happen. Best case for him with GSW is backup guard, perhaps instant offense.

I live in the Bay Area and follow GSW. I’m so happy Cook is playing well, but for him playing in the post-season *this year* depends on the injury situation at GSW (Curry, Thompson, Durant and Green – the 4 GSW All-Stars – all have been injured lately, plus several bench players). Plus regarding playing him next year means GSW has to look at their cap situation and financials.

The reason why Cook is playing so much now is that the Warriors are sitting their injured because they have nothing to really play for the rest of the season. They are basically locked into the 2-seed for the playoffs unless Houston nose dives. So resting their injured and then reviving them by early April seems to be the plan. As he is on a 2-way contract, he cannot play in the playoffs. The only realistic shot being discussed for Cook to play in the playoffs this year is to cut a contract player. Omri Casspi is on a 1-yr, $2M contract. He’s been injured, but he is also the backup for Durant, and he’s played acceptably in the stints that he has had. GSW gave Curry’s backup, Shaun Livingston, a 3-yr $24M contract. So they won’t cut him. They could give up on Patrick McCaw, whose $1.3M contract is up at the end of the year when he's a restricted free agent. McCaw has been injured, too, but he played well in the playoffs last year, so it would be hard to see them giving up on him. Cook has had a few good games now, but remember it’s really when games don’t count for GSW. McCaw is more proven. Lastly, Nick Young aka Swaggy P, is on a 1-yr $5.2M contract. IMO even though it isn't being discussed in sportsyak, this is actually the biggest possibility for cutting a player. The financial hit is bigger here for GSW. Young is taller, but his D isn’t that good. He is hitting 3’s at a 38% clip, which he was brought in to do - and he can get hot from 3. Cook is hitting 39% from 3, but he's taken far less shots than Young, and Young took them against better competition in general. So honestly I’m not optimistic that GSW actively decides Cook is a better choice than any of these guys… so unless injuries really become a problem, I can’t see Cook playing in the post-season.

As a 2-way, GSW owns his rights. It’s unclear if he’s on a 2-yr, 2-way contract or just 1-yr. FYI to anyone not following the NBA so closely, 2-way contracts are new for the NBA this year... so there's a lot of questions at least publicly about how they work out. Anyway, if it’s a 2-yr , then I think he’s going to be in the same position with GSW next year as a 2-way player with the same playing restrictions unless GSW converts him (or trades him). If it’s a 1-yr, then as I understand it he becomes a restricted free agent at the end of the year, so GSW can match any offer another team gives him. Again, this is new ground since 2-way contracts are new this year. I've looked to see whether his contract is 2-yr or 1-yr, but I can't find it easily.

In any case, we are all pulling for Cook. As a player, I think he’d want to stay with GSW as a franchise is a happy franchise with good ownership and coaching, and a great chance to win and get rings (if GSW does win this year, Cook will get a ring). GSW should continue to be competitive for a few years to come as their core is so young. Young, but expensive. So the trick is to meet salary cap restrictions and not take too much of a financial hit. Tying up the stars doesn’t leave all that much for the others – many GSW players just take the veteran's minimum so that they can get a chance at a ring. So in Cook's case, that might force GSW to not be able to match what other teams might give him. But I think it's clear he should be playing in the NBA next year, with GSW on another 2-way, with GSW on a contract they can afford, or with another team for more dough. Cook is smart - I'm sure he wants to play on a guaranteed contract, but I'm sure he also wants to win. I hope he stays with GSW, one way or another.

9F

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    I live in the Bay Area and follow GSW. I’m so happy Cook is playing well, but for him playing in the post-season *this year* depends on the injury situation at GSW (Curry, Thompson, Durant and Green – the 4 GSW All-Stars – all have been injured lately, plus several bench players). Plus regarding playing him next year means GSW has to look at their cap situation and financials.

9F
    Live in the Bay Area too and follow GSW. The TV announcers commented during one of Cook's recent games that 2 way players are not eligible for the playoffs. Found a couple of links that seemed to verify this.

Quote Originally Posted by unclsam1 View Post
    Live in the Bay Area too and follow GSW. The TV announcers commented during one of Cook's recent games that 2 way players are not eligible for the playoffs. Found a couple of links that seemed to verify this.
    Yes, he would have to be put on the main roster. The article I linked says they have to make that decision April 10th.

Another good game for Quinn last night. 32 mins. 5 from 11 for 13 points. 6 assists. 8 rebounds and 1 steal. Steph was back and played 25 mins.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Another good game for Quinn last night. 32 mins. 5 from 11 for 13 points. 6 assists. 8 rebounds and 1 steal. Steph was back and played 25 mins.
    Good birthday performance from @QCook323

..and Steph is injured again. Bummer for him and the Warriors, likely very good for Q to get some more run.
    Let's go Duke!

Burying the lead a bit...Steph was hurt again and will likely miss more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    ..and Steph is injured again. Bummer for him and the Warriors, likely very good for Q to get some more run.
    Warriors may need to protect against another Steph injury and give Quinn a playoff roster spot- we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Totally agree. He was the incumbent senior point guard and voluntarily stepped aside and moved to the 2 so that Tyus could run the team. Not a lot of players would do that. The famous game we won at UVA was a perfect microcosm of how he never got enough attention: everybody remembers Tyus’s big three to seal the game, but it was actually Quinn’s three on the previous possession that won the game for us.
    Best back court bro!

I have nothing to add except to say I'm glad I'm a Duke fan because it would suck to have to root against these guys.

Trying to turn the page from the KU loss. So it's back to pulling for Quinn Cook!

Curry is now out for the 1st round of the playoffs, it's looking more and more likely that Cook will make the post-season roster. They would still have to cut somebody. This decision will probably not be made until the season ends.

Reports are Cook has a 1-year 2-way contract this year with GSW. The tweeter Tim Kawakami is a Warriors insider that used to be on the SJ Mercury News staff, and he's usually reliable. Anyway that means he's a RFA after this year. If he gets a look from another team (and he probably would, especially if he help GSW win the 1st round matchup), then his qualifying offer coming off a guaranteed minimum deal is 125% of his previous minimum salary. Due to the salary cap and GSW's tightness with it given their lineup, he's potentially leaving GSW after this year but can get the guaranteed contract he wants. I don't think we will hear much more about this from Cook, though, as he has to play with a guy that would get cut. Cook's smart, so I'm sure he will keep his mouth shut and let management decide what to do.

There is also a podcast up where Cook was interviewed recently. It's here, but I had trouble trying to listen to it. Turns out it's on Spotify and the Apple Store, so I just searched there. But maybe the original link will work for you. He discussed his recent success in Steph Curry‘s absence, his development with Golden State, the pros and cons of being on a two-way contract, Duke’s title run and much more. The Duke discussion was before the S16. But there are some good tidbits here - I bolded some. Time-stamps are below.

1:55: Over the last four games, Cook has averaged 21.5 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1 steal while shooting 57.6 percent from the field and 52 percent from three-point range. What’s been working so well for him recently?

2:55: Entering that first game with so many stars out and knowing he’d be playing such a big role, was Cook nervous? Was he excited? He shares his emotions entering this stretch.

4:00: Cook is obviously playing with a ton of confidence right now. Was there a particular play or game or conversation with teammates that led to his increased confidence?

5:15: In Summer League and the G League, Cook averaged similar numbers to what he’s doing now with the Warriors. He’s been productive for a while, just not in the NBA and on national TV. We discuss whether this was just a matter of him getting an opportunity at the NBA level to showcase his game.

7:00: Because Cook had to grind in the G League for two years – making sacrifices and turning down larger deals overseas – does it make this success even sweeter?

8:25: How underrated is the G League talent pool? How does the competition level in the G League stack up to the NBA?

10:15: Cook explains how frustrating it was not getting this kind of opportunity sooner. He was the G League’s Rookie of the Year and a two-time G League All-Star, but he couldn’t stick when he’d get 10-day deals and call-ups.

11:55: Cook discusses the pros and cons of being on a two-way contract. For those who don’t know, during the regular season two-way players can only spend 45 “days of service” with the NBA team (which include travel days and practices) and they have to spend the remainder of the season with the team’s G League affiliate.

14:25: Cook shares how much he’s learned from the Warriors’ stars (Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green) and terrific veterans (Andre Iguodala, Shaun Livingston and David West among others).

16:30: When you’re going up against a two-time MVP like Curry every practice, that has to make you better as a player. Cook discusses how those battles have helped him and how he does his best to push the starters in practice.

17:25: There’s been some talk about Cook playing his way onto the playoff roster for Golden State. Since he’s a two-way player, they’d have to sign him to a regular-season deal and cut someone else to include him on the postseason roster. Cook shares whether he’s talked to anyone in the organization about this and what would it mean to get a playoff spot on this star-studded team.

18:50: Steve Kerr is an incredible coach and he has a great staff. Cook explains how much they’ve helped his development and how they create a fun, family-like atmosphere.

20:25: Duke is back in the Elite Eight. Cook shares his thoughts about this year’s team, the job that Mike Krzyzewski has done with this year’s squad and whether the Blue Devils have a legitimate chance to win it all.

22:00: Cook talks about how he still keeps in touch with Coach K and his staff and many other people from Duke.

23:05: Can you tell us one fun fact about Coach K that most people don’t know?

24:45: Cook has been phenomenal lately; how can he maintain this level of production going forward?

25:45: Cook isn’t focused on his upcoming free agency, but if he could stay in Golden State long-term, would that be his preference?

28:30: Cook shares his encyclopedic knowledge of the NBA and how he fell in love with the game.

30:00: Jarrett Jack is one player whom Cook modeled his game and mentality after and he explains why.

32:15: Cook is friends with just about every NBA player – from LeBron James to Russell Westbrook to John Wall. But he has also developed friendships with some celebrities like Floyd Mayweather, Lil Durk and Mike Posner, and he explains how he got to know them.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Trying to turn the page from the KU loss. So it's back to pulling for Quinn Cook!

Curry is now out for the 1st round of the playoffs, it's looking more and more likely that Cook will make the post-season roster. They would still have to cut somebody. This decision will probably not be made until the season ends.

Reports are Cook has a 1-year 2-way contract this year with GSW. The tweeter Tim Kawakami is a Warriors insider that used to be on the SJ Mercury News staff, and he's usually reliable. Anyway that means he's a RFA after this year. If he gets a look from another team (and he probably would, especially if he help GSW win the 1st round matchup), then his qualifying offer coming off a guaranteed minimum deal is 125% of his previous minimum salary. Due to the salary cap and GSW's tightness with it given their lineup, he's potentially leaving GSW after this year but can get the guaranteed contract he wants. I don't think we will hear much more about this from Cook, though, as he has to play with a guy that would get cut. Cook's smart, so I'm sure he will keep his mouth shut and let management decide what to do.

There is also a podcast up where Cook was interviewed recently. It's here, but I had trouble trying to listen to it. Turns out it's on Spotify and the Apple Store, so I just searched there. But maybe the original link will work for you. He discussed his recent success in Steph Curry‘s absence, his development with Golden State, the pros and cons of being on a two-way contract, Duke’s title run and much more. The Duke discussion was before the S16. But there are some good tidbits here - I bolded some. Time-stamps are below.

1:55: Over the last four games, Cook has averaged 21.5 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1 steal while shooting 57.6 percent from the field and 52 percent from three-point range. What’s been working so well for him recently?

2:55: Entering that first game with so many stars out and knowing he’d be playing such a big role, was Cook nervous? Was he excited? He shares his emotions entering this stretch.

4:00: Cook is obviously playing with a ton of confidence right now. Was there a particular play or game or conversation with teammates that led to his increased confidence?

5:15: In Summer League and the G League, Cook averaged similar numbers to what he’s doing now with the Warriors. He’s been productive for a while, just not in the NBA and on national TV. We discuss whether this was just a matter of him getting an opportunity at the NBA level to showcase his game.

7:00: Because Cook had to grind in the G League for two years – making sacrifices and turning down larger deals overseas – does it make this success even sweeter?

8:25: How underrated is the G League talent pool? How does the competition level in the G League stack up to the NBA?

10:15: Cook explains how frustrating it was not getting this kind of opportunity sooner. He was the G League’s Rookie of the Year and a two-time G League All-Star, but he couldn’t stick when he’d get 10-day deals and call-ups.

11:55: Cook discusses the pros and cons of being on a two-way contract. For those who don’t know, during the regular season two-way players can only spend 45 “days of service” with the NBA team (which include travel days and practices) and they have to spend the remainder of the season with the team’s G League affiliate.

14:25: Cook shares how much he’s learned from the Warriors’ stars (Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green) and terrific veterans (Andre Iguodala, Shaun Livingston and David West among others).

16:30: When you’re going up against a two-time MVP like Curry every practice, that has to make you better as a player. Cook discusses how those battles have helped him and how he does his best to push the starters in practice.

17:25: There’s been some talk about Cook playing his way onto the playoff roster for Golden State. Since he’s a two-way player, they’d have to sign him to a regular-season deal and cut someone else to include him on the postseason roster. Cook shares whether he’s talked to anyone in the organization about this and what would it mean to get a playoff spot on this star-studded team.

18:50: Steve Kerr is an incredible coach and he has a great staff. Cook explains how much they’ve helped his development and how they create a fun, family-like atmosphere.

20:25: Duke is back in the Elite Eight. Cook shares his thoughts about this year’s team, the job that Mike Krzyzewski has done with this year’s squad and whether the Blue Devils have a legitimate chance to win it all.

22:00: Cook talks about how he still keeps in touch with Coach K and his staff and many other people from Duke.

23:05: Can you tell us one fun fact about Coach K that most people don’t know?

24:45: Cook has been phenomenal lately; how can he maintain this level of production going forward?

25:45: Cook isn’t focused on his upcoming free agency, but if he could stay in Golden State long-term, would that be his preference?

28:30: Cook shares his encyclopedic knowledge of the NBA and how he fell in love with the game.

30:00: Jarrett Jack is one player whom Cook modeled his game and mentality after and he explains why.

32:15: Cook is friends with just about every NBA player – from LeBron James to Russell Westbrook to John Wall. But he has also developed friendships with some celebrities like Floyd Mayweather, Lil Durk and Mike Posner, and he explains how he got to know them.
    Thanks for this. I will definitely give this a listen. Love rooting for Quinn.