Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Quinn-sanity!

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Well, disregarding that I said 2 posts ago that stage fright was perhaps not the right words for it. My original post only said he "apparently has stage fright in the biggest games." Not evidently. Apparently. There's a difference. Perhaps to the non-homer eye, it may have seemed that way.
    So maybe next time, when you maybe say something with the wrong wording and then attach “facts are facts” to it immediately after, perhaps then being rude to folks, and calling them homers in a derogatory sense, and telling people they sound ignorant (and please don’t use the “I said ‘sound’” argument; would you be fine if someone said “you sound like a condescending d-bag”?), it might be better to take a different tone and consider that maybe you implied something you didn’t mean?

Group think isn’t always a good thing. But when nobody else in the room is agreeing with you, it is usually (not always, but usually) not because they are all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    So maybe next time, when you maybe say something with the wrong wording and then attach “facts are facts” to it immediately after, perhaps then being rude to folks, and calling them homers in a derogatory sense, and telling people they sound ignorant (and please don’t use the “I said ‘sound’” argument; would you be fine if someone said “you sound like a condescending d-bag”?), it might be better to take a different tone and consider that maybe you implied something you didn’t mean?

Group think isn’t always a good thing. But when nobody else in the room is agreeing with you, it is usually (not always, but usually) not because they are all wrong.
    Look man, I already apologized for my rudeness. My tone has been civil since then, so your post is is just you being vindictive. I would have been done posting here had you not continued to attack my posts.

When I said the facts are the facts, I was actually referring to the first part of that post: "Yeah, except Quinn was 3 for 8, 0 for 3 from 3 and had 6 points in the Wisconsin game . . ."

So I shouldn't have said stage fright. Is it really that big of a deal to you? If it is, I'm sorry. Or we can continue to quibble over semantics.

Here's what we all observed:He seemed nervous, he fumbled the pass, and he missed the shot. Those are the facts. Take from them what you will.
    Last edited by kAzE; 05-25-2018 at 10:01 PM.

Look man, I already apologized. If you need another one for some reason, I'm happy to oblige. My tone has been civil since then, so your post is is just you being vindictive.

When I said the facts are the facts, I was actually referring to the first part of that post: "Yeah, except Quinn was 3 for 8, 0 for 3 from 3 and had 6 points in the Wisconsin game . . ."

So I shouldn't have said stage fright. Sorry. He seemed nervous, he fumbled the pass, and he missed the shot.
    Well, I wasn’t looking for another apology, so I am sorry for my post coming off that way. Wasn’t my intent. Just trying to drive home the point to hopefully help it not happen again. May or may not have been necessary. Sorry to you and all if that post caused any more tension.

As a silver lining, I think folks have probably gotten as close to on the same page on this debate as possible. I think the stuff we disagree on now really is marginal stuff (it is for me at least).

Thanks to all involved for keeping it (I think) clear of infraction territory.

Hope all have a great weekend. And hopefully Cook hits the next big shot he gets!

Edit: hmm, not sure your edits to the last post were quite as sporting, but whatevs.

This thread seems to be a bit like this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrbOVeRonQ

Have a giggle people and lighten up.

Argument or abuse?
    Last edited by Furniture; 05-26-2018 at 12:24 AM.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

I never said Quinn hasn't hit big shots in his career. Only that the game 5 shot would have been the biggest.
    No, that's not all you said. Not by any means.

You called him a choker, in effect. There is no other understanding possible for the terms "stage fright" and "the stage was too big." That means internalized pressure, and choking, period. And it's 100% internal. We all know that's precisely what you meant because there is no other reasonable interpretation of the english language as used to discuss big moments in sports.

I'd add that there are huge moments in games that are not near the end...Coach K talks about this...a lot of coaches do....certain times where your team is about to be blown out...or a time when you can stick a dagger into an opponent...big big possessions that will ultimately decide a lot of games long before the buzzer. Quinn hit a ton of those (as did Kennard). But they didn't hit them all. Sometimes a missed shot is just a missed shot.

These threads seem to get more and more like a neighborhood tavern in which when certain folks show up, many have a desire to leave. The contentiousness around here is, sometimes, just short of disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    These threads seem to get more and more like a neighborhood tavern in which when certain folks show up, many have a desire to leave. The contentiousness around here is, sometimes, just short of disgusting.
    NO IT ISN'T!!

(just kidding)

Boy, this thread has devolved into quite the pxssing match.

I root for the Duke guys and care next to nothing about the nba and who wins. I watched the fourth quarter of the last western conference game and couldn’t believe how bad the shooting was and how generally unwatchable the overall play was. LGD Let’s go Jason and Quin! GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    No, that's not all you said. Not by any means.

You called him a choker, in effect. There is no other understanding possible for the terms "stage fright" and "the stage was too big." That means internalized pressure, and choking, period. And it's 100% internal. We all know that's precisely what you meant because there is no other reasonable interpretation of the english language as used to discuss big moments in sports.
    Now you’re just putting words my mouth. I did not call him a choker. You said that. Everyone has moments of nerves. It’s only human.

I can think of at least 3 games I watched Quinn’s career where he hit a game winning shot. Most notably the floater at the Battle for Atlantis tournament. I took back the stage fright comment. Let it go already.

Why are folks still picking at the scab?

Accept the apology (if one was needed) and move on.

Thanks, the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Why are folks still picking at the scab?

Accept the apology (if one was needed) and move on.

Thanks, the rest of us.
    Is this your first trip to the internet? Nothing is ever that simple.

::smiley emoticon::

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    NO IT ISN'T!!

(just kidding)
    "You must spread some comments around..." etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Is this your first trip to the internet? Nothing is ever that simple.

::smiley emoticon::
    It's an oldie, but...

index.png

14. Onto more important things...Cook is in the game! Hopefully will play well and get some positive momentum going, both on the court and on this board.

15. ...and he does look good! Nice rebound, great pass to the open dunk, and impressive drive step-back mid-jumper.

Nice work by QC tonight when he was in. Fun to see!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Nice work by QC tonight when he was in. Fun to see!
    You mean he didn't "stink"? Some will be amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Onto more important things...Cook is in the game! Hopefully will play well and get some positive momentum going, both on the court and on this board.
    Let’s not forget that Quinn was a very late addition to the playoff roster with less than a few handful of games of NBA experience. The fact that his coach even put him in that position says a whole lot about Quinn and his development. Find another example of a player with that level of experience being asked to make that shot. Yes the kid from Hoosiers does not count.

The only thing I find baffling is that some are saying the NBA stage isn't as big as the NCAA tournament. Now that's just wild.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    The only thing I find baffling is that some are saying the NBA stage isn't as big as the NCAA tournament. Now that's just wild.
    It depends on what "big" and "stage" are.

On the NCAA side one could point to the great interest from all over the country and the audience size. (Bigger theater)

On the NBA size one could point to the competition level. (Bigger challenge)

Personally I prefer my basketball to be played in the cooler months so as the temperature rises my interest wanes. (But that doesn't really address the question.)