Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coach K coming up on Dan Patrick this morning

He'll be on during the 10:00 AM EDT hour.

You can listen live here (click on the "Listen Live" icon in the upper right corner of the page): http://www.danpatrick.com/#
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

He was on ESPN2 this morning at 9:30 with Golic and Wingo. Very nice interview I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    He was on ESPN2 this morning at 9:30 with Golic and Wingo. Very nice interview I thought.
    I caught the one on Golic and Wingo. It looks like Golic picked Duke to win the Tournament in his bracket. This is one of the few ESPN shows that I watch. Coach K praised Coach Pat Summit and said Womens basketball is where it is today because of her. Our GOAT is a class act. GoDuke.!

I caught him on Dan Patrick. He was great, as always.

Their banter is always classic. Dan closed it out by telling Coach K he will be bringing the show to San Antonio for the Final Four. Obviously K said that would be one date that he'd love to keep with Dan, which was a great line. Then Dan mentioned he travels with a basketball hoop wherever he goes, to which he said he'd beat K in a shooting contest. K asked if it was 8 or 10 feet? Dan said 10, and that the ball always hits the net.

K said, that's great but it has to go through the rim first. Classic.

Then after further insisting on a shooting contest, Dan finished by recording K saying, "Dan, I believe in you."

It was great. Gotta love when those two are interacting.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post

Their banter is always classic. Dan closed it out by telling Coach K he will be bringing the show to San Antonio for the Final Four. Obviously K said that would be one date that he'd love to keep with Dan, which was a great line. Then Dan mentioned he travels with a basketball hoop wherever he goes, to which he said he'd beat K in a shooting contest. K asked if it was 8 or 10 feet? Dan said 10, and that the ball always hits the net.

Then after further insisting on a shooting contest, Dan finished by recording K saying, "Dan, I believe in you."

- Chillin

Yeah, K and Patrick always have good banter. I also enjoyed it when Patrick (who played basketball in high school and a couple years in college) compared himself to "a nicer Christian Laettner," and K was like, "Dude, don't even put yourself in the same breath as Laettner."
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post

- Chillin
    with all the doo doo that ESPN pumps out, it's great to know that in some places, there are still really good broadcasters/journalists.
    April 1

I thought the real meat in the Golic interview was K's statement that he and the coaches have had to work hard to develop confidence in the zone among themselves...evidently it did not come easily to them (one can imagine).
    Now they do have confidence in the zone, which no doubt makes it more enjoyable to teach...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I thought the real meat in the Golic interview was K's statement that he and the coaches have had to work hard to develop confidence in the zone among themselves...evidently it did not come easily to them (one can imagine).
    Now they do have confidence in the zone, which no doubt makes it more enjoyable to teach...
    It sounded like he gave Coach Capel some credit as well. Said that Jeff had conversations with the now coach at Washington. Forget his name, but I believe he was an assistant of JB's at Cuse.
    It was a good interview. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    It sounded like he gave Coach Capel some credit as well. Said that Jeff had conversations with the now coach at Washington. Forget his name, but I believe he was an assistant of JB's at Cuse.
    Mike Hopkins.

And you're right, K said that Capel spent a lot of time with Hopkins learning and tweaking that zone defense while their respective bosses were coaching Team USA.

There's an article from Jonathan Alexander in the N&O about it that gives a couple more details for people (like me) who missed the initial interviews and couldn't listen at work, but could scan some copy--headline Dan Patrick Show asks Coach K: Did you steal the zone from Syracuse's Jim Boeheim?:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...205985439.html

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I will be watching intently to see how quickly Coach K employs the zone next year, especially if this year ends with the cutting of nets. Next year's team is different from a height and skill-set standpoint, but it wouldn't be surprising to me if Coach K decides to teach the zone first and then sprinkle in a few other looks.

Is there any chance we have man-to-man defense in our back pocket and will pull it out to confuse a team for just long enough to pull out a win?

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    Is there any chance we have man-to-man defense in our back pocket and will pull it out to confuse a team for just long enough to pull out a win?
    I keep thinking we’ll see some man-to-man again this year. Guess it will depend on the matchup and how well the zone is working.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I keep thinking we’ll see some man-to-man again this year. Guess it will depend on the matchup and how well the zone is working.
    I hope we don’t see it again this year. If we do, it probably means something has gone wrong...kind of like how Roy briefly tried some zone to slow the TAMU onslaught. I would much rather see us build leads and have no reason to try to mix anything up!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I caught the one on Golic and Wingo. It looks like Golic picked Duke to win the Tournament in his bracket. This is one of the few ESPN shows that I watch. Coach K praised Coach Pat Summit and said Womens basketball is where it is today because of her. Our GOAT is a class act. GoDuke.!
    Yes Golic did in fact pick Duke to win it all on his sheet of integrity. Funny K said he was a fair weather fan n was allowed on the bus. Golic said he went with K n Dune since his Notre Dame didn’t get in the Tourney. K agreed that was because of losing Bonzie to injury for a good portion of the season.

Duke’s zone looks different than Syracuse’s to my (very untrained) eye. Looks like we adapt more to our opponent, we’ll sometimes bring one or both of the back line defenders up or into the middle, and we trap the ball handler more. Syracuse seems to stick to their base 2-3 almost the whole time. But we also leave the corner threes open more often than we probably should.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Duke’s zone looks different than Syracuse’s to my (very untrained) eye. Looks like we adapt more to our opponent, we’ll sometimes bring one or both of the back line defenders up or into the middle, and we trap the ball handler more. Syracuse seems to stick to their base 2-3 almost the whole time. But we also leave the corner threes open more often than we probably should.
    I disagree here. Syracuse’s zone is extremely active, traps a lot, and asks a lot of their forwards in terms of movement. Their zone, like ours, shifts around a lot. Both are still 2-3 zones, but both are highly active and dynamic. They have a lot of similarities.

Now, their zone will probably look different against us by virtue of us playing fewer perimeter guys than is normal is today’s game. But that is a function of the opponent. When teams play 3-4 shooters, Cuse will extend their forwards out. Their approach against UNC looked a lot like ours, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I disagree here. Syracuse’s zone is extremely active, traps a lot, and asks a lot of their forwards in terms of movement. Their zone, like ours, shifts around a lot. Both are still 2-3 zones, but both are highly active and dynamic. They have a lot of similarities.

Now, their zone will probably look different against us by virtue of us playing fewer perimeter guys than is normal is today’s game. But that is a function of the opponent. When teams play 3-4 shooters, Cuse will extend their forwards out. Their approach against UNC looked a lot like ours, for example.
    I feel like Duke tends to leave the baseline 3 point area more open on the wings; whereas Syracuse is quicker to shift out to cover faster. Just my perception, as if Duke was willing to give up the baseline more. But I can’t think of any strategic advantage to do so other than perhaps baseline threes are a lower percentage shot or Duke cheats in more up top to close off the passing lanes? They’re getting a lot better at compensating for it and getting out to the wings. But if there’s a hot outside shooter for the opponent that’s where he’ll be getting the bests looks against Duke IMO. If it were a video game where a magic halo lit up — it would be on the deep baseline sides — aka The Ray Allen zone

Or in case of Duke — the Trent Jr zone. I think Trent Jr has the chance to be the real X factor.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    I feel like Duke tends to leave the baseline 3 point area more open on the wings; whereas Syracuse is quicker to shift out to cover faster. Just my perception, as if Duke was willing to give up the baseline more. But I can’t think of any strategic advantage to do so other than perhaps baseline threes are a lower percentage shot or Duke cheats in more up top to close off the passing lanes? They’re getting a lot better at compensating for it and getting out to the wings. But if there’s a hot outside shooter for the opponent that’s where he’ll be getting the bests looks against Duke IMO. If it were a video game where a magic halo lit up — it would be on the deep baseline sides — aka The Ray Allen zone

Or in case of Duke — the Trent Jr zone. I think Trent Jr has the chance to be the real X factor.
    When you say "baseline three", I assume it's the same as the "corner three". If so, I thought the "corner three" was the highest percentage 3-point shot...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    When you say "baseline three", I assume it's the same as the "corner three". If so, I thought the "corner three" was the highest percentage 3-point shot...
    In the NBA, you're right that it's the highest percentage shot. Many speculated that it was due to the shorter distance, but data shows that it's mostly because corner threes are more frequently uncontested. ANY uncontested 3 is a higher percentage shot than those with a defender close by, but just so happens that happens more frequently in the corner in the NBA. So, Duke giving those up is no different than giving up an open shot at the top of the key really -- giving up open shots is equally bad from anywhere beyond the arc.