Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    In an effort not to lose my posting privledges here at the DBR, I'll simply post a link to describe my state of mind tonight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

Of course, the Lady Pack put a beat down on the B1G Maryland Terps to punch their ticket to the sweet 16 (first time since 2007), so there is some good news as well...not to mention the Wrestling team finished on the Podium at nationals (#4) and has one wrestler win their weight, another finish 2nd and two more finish in the top 4 for the highest ever team finish by State or an ACC team this weekend as well.

Carolina was just the cherry on top.

Fans and players for this program that cheated for decades while acting like they are better than everyone else deserve every bit of scorn we can give them. Once they bought their way out of punishment last year, I no longer feel the need to be civil to anything or anyone UNCheat. I don't like their current players, don't think they are 'good guys'; they chose to join the program after the cheating was exposed. Good guys don't do that. I'm so glad they lost, having them make the final 4 and win an asterisk championship last year was an embarrassment to the NCAA and the tournament and having them out of the tournament returns some legitimacy for the rest of us.

Hope that wasn't too nice, I had to tone it down a little.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    You sound just like the people on IC when we lose. Hard to be a good loser. Even harder to be a good winner. No place for this in a Duke board. Let them address it on IC.
    Are you Jay Bilas?

And did I have too many IPAs tonight or are we seriously no longer allowed to be happy on this board when the Cheats get blown out of the tournament in North Carolina on the first weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Fans and players for this program that cheated for decades while acting like they are better than everyone else deserve every bit of scorn we can give them. Once they bought their way out of punishment last year, I no longer feel the need to be civil to anything or anyone UNCheat. I don't like their current players, don't think they are 'good guys'; they chose to join the program after the cheating was exposed. Good guys don't do that. I'm so glad they lost, having them make the final 4 and win an asterisk championship last year was an embarrassment to the NCAA and the tournament and having them out of the tournament returns some legitimacy for the rest of us.

Hope that wasn't too nice, I had to tone it down a little.
    I wish you hadn’t toned it down. Every single person at UNC who was directly involved in the cheating—as well as anyone who subsequently found out about it and has either defended the cheating or turned a blind eye to it—is culpable and forever deserves our condemnation and ridicule.

You sound just like the people on IC when we lose. Hard to be a good loser. Even harder to be a good winner. No place for this in a Duke board. Let them address it on IC.
    Irony: criticism of how Duke fans badmouth UNC, while simultaneously denigrating UNC fans.

So other than the fact that Kentucky now has the best odds of making the final four (57% chance), the first weekend of the tournament was about as good as it could have possibly been.

Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    So other than the fact that Kentucky now has the best odds of making the final four (57% chance), the first weekend of the tournament was about as good as it could have possibly been.
    Much more concerned about Villanova's progress than any other team. I hope we get to play UK because banner #6 would be heading up to the rafters.

Quote Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
    Much more concerned about Villanova's progress than any other team. I hope we get to play UK because banner #6 would be heading up to the rafters.
    Yeah, Nova has looked great. Same model gives Nova a 22% chance to win it all and Duke is second at 18% (KY and Kansas at 11%). But long way to go before worrying about Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
    I’m basically assuming that no one is beating Nova except for us. Have it that way in my bracket as well. Obviously hope they get upset before they get to us but not counting on it.

But more importantly, I can deal with Jay Wright winning a second title if it comes to that. I can’t deal with Calipari being gift wrapped a trip to the finals by the bracket gods and then winning one game against a real team for his second title. No one’s odds of winning it all improved more over the first weekend than Kentucky’s. That’s why I’m citing that as my only downside from an otherwise awesome weekend of college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Guess this will give them more time to focus on their "Jimmy B vs the Rat" thread.

Lots more time.
    Rotten UNC fans deserve this beatdown.I had the pleasure of getting Suite tickets of the Lakers vs Heat Friday night. One of the guests is wearing a UNC t shirt. Very loud and even screamed Go Heels . Just rude and a bore. My party all agreed the man was a JERK.Stepped on the theater seats. Moving the ceiling lights. UNC man invited but acts like it is his suite. Hope he and his Tar Heel family sulks tonight.

But I've been on the faculty here for over 30 years and one of the things I love most about Duke Basketball and Duke in general is that we do take the high road. And the coach who just won his 1099th game yesterday ALWAYS takes the high road. Not such a bad idea, really.
    I tend to take the approach by DukeDevilDeb here when it comes to most things, try to be very civil and good natured with the banter. But I've learned that when it comes to long time historic rivals in many sports (not just college basketball), a certain amount of pettiness is fine and expected. I see it in soccer, college football, etc and just take the back and forth for what it's worth as long as it doesn't cross certain lines. I do have higher expectations of the banter on DBR, but rivalries are rivalries.

And in my very direct experience with this particular rivalry over many years, I've found my past attempts at civility met with some of the pettiest and least classy behavior, even from so-called friends or "decent people" on the UNC side. (I've actually lost a couple of friends and/or decided to limit contact with certain people as a result). Don't believe for a second that the childish posts about Duke and Coach K on certain boards reflect only the lunatic fringe of internet fans...those attitudes persist among many superficially reasonable fans as well, and they're not afraid to share those opinions.

With all that said, despite my long list of UNC players I've had issues with and some of the stuff already shared in this thread (and others), I can honestly say that Berry, Pinson and Maye are among my favorite UNC players and I've enjoyed watching them play and handle themselves well, even as I throughly enjoyed watching their team get dismantled by Texas A&M.

Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    I’m basically assuming that no one is beating Nova except for us. Have it that way in my bracket as well. Obviously hope they get upset before they get to us but not counting on it.

But more importantly, I can deal with Jay Wright winning a second title if it comes to that. I can’t deal with Calipari being gift wrapped a trip to the finals by the bracket gods and then winning one game against a real team for his second title. No one’s odds of winning it all improved more over the first weekend than Kentucky’s. That’s why I’m citing that as my only downside from an otherwise awesome weekend of college basketball.
    You need to ask UVa, Arizona, and uNC if they played any "real" teams this weekend.

Most of the UNC fans I know are in my face when they beat us, or if we lose to anyone. Abrasive, loud, and vulgar. Tomorrow, when I go back to work, I intend to ask them who they play this coming weekend. I am gonna say,"Oops, nobody? That's right, you didn't make it"!
    I am all for taking the high road, especially with fans of teams like, say, UVA, who rarely act like cretins. But UNC fans by and large have earned what they get.
    It has never been in my nature to turn the other cheek, especially when the offending party goes on and on. But since I got to be good, I won't say anything here now..
    Except..HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    ...And in my very direct experience with this particular rivalry over many years, I've found my past attempts at civility met with some of the pettiest and least classy behavior, even from so-called friends or "decent people" on the UNC side. (I've actually lost a couple of friends and/or decided to limit contact with certain people as a result). Don't believe for a second that the childish posts about Duke and Coach K on certain boards reflect only the lunatic fringe of internet fans...those attitudes persist among many superficially reasonable fans as well, and they're not afraid to share those opinions...

Same experience here. People we thought were good, solid friends were so loud and condemning during the lax hoax, and who never "took it back", fell off the face of the friend planet. The hint of strain is still there in the occasional contacts that we've had over the years. I took great pleasure in a single word text of "Wow" after the loss yesterday, knowing that would suffice to convey my flat out enjoyment of that pathetic performance. I hope they felt sick.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Years ago I did some very mild Carolina bashing and got really zinged for it by the mods. Made me think a lot.

We can be happy that they lost. I am. We can be disgusted by their cheating and getting away with it. I am.

And I didn't like it when I walked into Burger King Friday night and a Tar Heel fan said You can't beat anyone better than Iona and you're going home this weekend; we are going to the Final Four... all this because I was wearing a Duke shirt (and Duke jacket and Duke Shoe laces and... you get the idea).

I just had a visceral reaction to what I was reading here... not what was being said but the way it sounded. My bad if I was wrong.

But I've been on the faculty here for over 30 years and one of the things I love most about Duke Basketball and Duke in general is that we do take the high road. And the coach who just won his 1099th game yesterday ALWAYS takes the high road. Not such a bad idea, really.
    Plus Tax.

Anyone here in Greenville last year for First Weekend?

From observing the Greenville debacle last season on TV, it appeared that the Cheats fans cheering against Duke was a much bigger factor than any Duke fans cheering for Arkansas? Can anyone verify this for me?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Same experience here. People we thought were good, solid friends were so loud and condemning during the lax hoax, and who never "took it back", fell off the face of the friend planet. The hint of strain is still there in the occasional contacts that we've had over the years. I took great pleasure in a single word text of "Wow" after the loss yesterday, knowing that would suffice to convey my flat out enjoyment of that pathetic performance. I hope they felt sick.
    After Dr Foster, your my second best Hero.

I live near Chapel Hill and work with a ton of UNC fans. They are horrible. They all know for a fact that K is evil and a terrible person, that he pays all of his recruits, that all of our players take one semester of sociology classes and then stop going to class, that our coaches teach how to get fake foul calls, that ESPN is in our back pocket, etc. There is no actual basketball knowledge among them, they just know that UNC is everything holy and right while Duke is a disgrace. Last March was miserable for me, having to hear it from these mouth breathers all summer long. I can’t tell you how happy I am that they lost while we are looking poised for a deep run.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Most of the UNC fans I know are in my face when they beat us, or if we lose to anyone. Abrasive, loud, and vulgar. Tomorrow, when I go back to work, I intend to ask them who they play this coming weekend. I am gonna say,"Oops, nobody? That's right, you didn't make it"!
    I am all for taking the high road, especially with fans of teams like, say, UVA, who rarely act like cretins. But UNC fans by and large have earned what they get.
    It has never been in my nature to turn the other cheek, especially when the offending party goes on and on. But since I got to be good, I won't say anything here now..
    Except..HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!
    I will just offer this one recommendation. I learned this from my father rest his soul... you go into work on an occasion like this and say exactly nothing. All day. No matter what. You just wait. The silence is excruciating for your enemies. They expect you to say something. And when you don’t, it just eats them alive from the inside until they finally break down and open their yapper about it. Try it.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I will just offer this one recommendation. I learned this from my father rest his soul... you go into work on an occasion like this and say exactly nothing. All day. No matter what. You just wait. The silence is excruciating for your enemies. They expect you to say something. And when you don’t, it just eats them alive from the inside until they finally break down and open their yapper about it. Try it.
    This. Oh, and be nice, too. Don't ignore them. Talk about the weather, the beautiful spring flowers, what the kids' did this weekend -- whatever you'd talk about on a normal, glorious spring day. But not one word about basketball. Not one. They have their expectations and have been preparing their excuses and steading themselves for the onslaught. And it never comes. They keep preparing. Waiting. Waiting some more. They want to talk, to vent, to call Duke names. And they can't.

It's wonderful.