Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree with DukeDevilDeb, sportsmanship is both important and lacking in modern society.
    We're SPORTS FANS - a little gloating never killed anybody. The whole "we're Duke fans, so we don't do those things" seems a tad sanctimonious to me.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I agree with DukeDevilDeb, sportsmanship is both important and lacking in modern society.
    I'll treat them the same way they treated me leaving the Bi-Lo Center last season.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    To our fallen brethren I say, a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer in your pants.

....Bubbles

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    You sound just like the people on IC when we lose. Hard to be a good loser. Even harder to be a good winner. No place for this in a Duke board. Let them address it on IC.
    Two decades of blatant cheating should not ever be forgotten or minimized. They have earned every bit of scorn and ridicule coming their way. I don’t think this is a sportsmanship issue at all.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    It looks to me like you are agreeing with something she didn’t actually say. She said that DBR was as bad as IC when one member did some relatively mild cheat-bashing.

Regarding the original post, I’m not sure that the mild schadenfraud* here puts us at the level of IC, but if you have a case to make, DDD, by all means make it.

For my money, every bit of pain the cheats get is deserved— and they’ll never even up their karma.

—alteran

* when it’s the cheats, it’s schadenfraud.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I'll treat them the same way they treated me leaving the Bi-Lo Center last season.
    Turn the other cheek .

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    My favorite day of the year - the Heels go down (and in Charlotte no less). Will need to find an A@M jersey tomorrow.
    My oldest daughter did an internship in the Chemistry department in College Station last summer, so fortunately, I already have mine!!!

IMHO, 9F is much worse than anything said on this thread.

I prefer to separate the players from the other folk. All indications are these unc players are solid character guys. They compete and it is understandably difficult for them to see it all end. They just happen to play for a truly disgusting program who couldn’t give a damn about their education and overall well being while also followed by a fan base that prefers to forever keep its collective head in the sand.

I genuinely wish Berry and Pinson the best of luck in the future.
    Last edited by jipops; 03-18-2018 at 08:46 PM.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Come on Duke fans. they got away with systematic cheating and won 2 out of 3 this year. ABC has happened. a little joy and even some gloating is appropriate. then we forget about them for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    It looks to me like you are agreeing with something she didn’t actually say. She said that DBR was as bad as IC when one member did some relatively mild cheat-bashing.

Regarding the original post, I’m not sure that the mild schadenfraud* here puts us at the level of IC, but if you have a case to make, DDD, by all means make it.

For my money, every bit of pain the cheats get is deserved— and they’ll never even up their karma.

—alteran

* when it’s the cheats, it’s schadenfraud.
    Years ago I did some very mild Carolina bashing and got really zinged for it by the mods. Made me think a lot.

We can be happy that they lost. I am. We can be disgusted by their cheating and getting away with it. I am.

And I didn't like it when I walked into Burger King Friday night and a Tar Heel fan said You can't beat anyone better than Iona and you're going home this weekend; we are going to the Final Four... all this because I was wearing a Duke shirt (and Duke jacket and Duke Shoe laces and... you get the idea).

I just had a visceral reaction to what I was reading here... not what was being said but the way it sounded. My bad if I was wrong.

But I've been on the faculty here for over 30 years and one of the things I love most about Duke Basketball and Duke in general is that we do take the high road. And the coach who just won his 1099th game yesterday ALWAYS takes the high road. Not such a bad idea, really.
    DukeDevilDeb

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    Turn the other cheek .
    You want me to moon them?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    IMHO, 9F is much worse than anything said on this thread.
    9F, 9F, 9F. Wow that feels so good.

Here's something positive - Auburn is making UNC look fabulous by comparison. Go ACC (now that Kerlina is gone!).
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I just told my wife that I was not really a hater of Carolina...until that happened last year. Thus today I thoroughly enjoyed the show from Charlotte.

Years ago I did some very mild Carolina bashing and got really zinged for it by the mods. Made me think a lot.

We can be happy that they lost. I am. We can be disgusted by their cheating and getting away with it. I am.

And I didn't like it when I walked into Burger King Friday night and a Tar Heel fan said You can't beat anyone better than Iona and you're going home this weekend; we are going to the Final Four... all this because I was wearing a Duke shirt (and Duke jacket and Duke Shoe laces and... you get the idea).

I just had a visceral reaction to what I was reading here... not what was being said but the way it sounded. My bad if I was wrong.

But I've been on the faculty here for over 30 years and one of the things I love most about Duke Basketball and Duke in general is that we do take the high road. And the coach who just won his 1099th game yesterday ALWAYS takes the high road. Not such a bad idea, really.
    Think there is a difference as a fan confronted you personally and this thread is a place for Duke fans to talk among themselves. Yes, a UNC fan can click in but they probably should be aware before they step in that it might not be kind to their school and be able to handle what they read much like a Duke fan should expect at IC.

I had a UNC fan taunt/name call me plus lay a hand on me at the PK80 at half of the Texas game. I would never say a fan should do that to another but I see a wide gap between that or your experience and people in this thread throwing dislike at UNC. The people in our experiences made sure that we had to deal with them while this thread would have to be voluntarily visited by opposing fans.

You sound just like the people on IC when we lose. Hard to be a good loser. Even harder to be a good winner. No place for this in a Duke board. Let them address it on IC.
    9F forever.

Well, it’s particularly lacking over at the dump. Has been for decades.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Several years ago when Kendall Marshall broke his wrist during the tournament, Cheat fans wanted the kid from Creighton's head on a pike. I doubt they shed a tear for UVA's Hunter after they were responsible for him breaking his wrist and to show just how low they really are they had the nerve to root against UVA the other night.

So no, they don't deserve any slack, especially after they managed to duck, dodge, and deflect their way through the biggest scandal in the history of college sports to a title last year.

No sympathy for their cheating program and fans. 99% of their fans think they did anything wrong regarding their years of cheating. That percentage goes up to 100% of cheat fans on our board. At least that's the way I see it. GoDuke!