Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Unless Syracuse can overachieve again.
    I suppose it's possible after what happened last night but I wouldn't bet on it. I just don't like that Michigan State gets live practice against a zone defense by playing Syracuse.

Offense was good but to me the defense really elevated to next level this game. Active hands and feet all game long. Best defense of the month. Hope to keep it up next week. We going to need to play elevated o and d to keep going.

Sharp. Balanced. Great win.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Really solid win! Michigan St will be tough! But we beat them once already... let’s beat them again!!
    (and no, Syracuse doesn’t stand a chance at beating the Spartans. We will be playing Michigan St.)

And UMBC didn't stand a chance of beating UVA

Red face The pup is happy

25 point win and it wasn't even that close. I like that.

I think the one big takeaway I will have is the mature decision making for much of that game. The team really settled in after the first five minutes and except for a small stretch at the end of the first, they really made solid decisions on when to push, when not to push, and what shots to take. I think this was just a ridiculously good matchup for us, so I won't put too much stock into the interior dominance. Even on defense, I though Rhode Island's poor execution had as much to do with it as duke's good play. And don't get me wrong, I think Duke played great, but there were some missed opportunities that teams like MSU or Kansas will be more likely to take advantage of.

You can't have asked Duke to play any better, but the one big thing that I hope will translate is that mental aspect of playing in control and making good decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by WHOneedsSOX View Post
    I suppose it's possible after what happened last night but I wouldn't bet on it. I just don't like that Michigan State gets live practice against a zone defense by playing Syracuse.
    Our zone is much better than theirs.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    Pretty much a perfect weekend. About as smooth as our offense has looked, the freshmen all looked improved and more mature from the start of the season, the zone defense totally demoralized both teams we played and put too much pressure on their limited bigs and wings to make plays.

Even Javin got into the act, and though he needs to be better at the FT line, the fact that we can run plays for him to get quick hitters inside makes a huge difference with lineups where the other team doesn't guard him to overload on the bigger scorers. Grayson was super active defending in the zone, and ran the offense along with Duval incredibly well against a good defense...Grayson demonstrated 2015 Quinn Cook-level maturity in leading the team today.

The challenges get much, much tougher next weekend, but this is what a well coached, hyper-talented team should do against overmatched opposition. Well done.
    Grayson led today. He didn't taake a lot of shots, because he didn't need to but he did play very good defense and helped make this team go. Really liked his play today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    We beat the absolute hell out of them.

I would just like to say that I thought Bolden helped turn the game in the first half. He got the ball in the post, then started to immediately look for sickouts to G and G. Really good stuff.

Bolden and Carter were animals.
    We did.

But for my money, the Grayson Allen 4-point play to put us up 19-11 effectively ended the game.

GO DUKE!

Too close for comfort...

I guess it's POSSIBLE, but much less likely than UMBC beating UVA. We all know Syracuse, and plain and simple, they aren't that good. Cuse was one of the last 4 in the tourney, I think. Michigan St. will win this game handily. I honestly don't mind playing all of the best teams they are throwing at us. It would be great to say we beat Michigan St. and Kansas on the way to the natty.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post

I am in a quandary: should the team eat at Chipotle before every game or avoid Chipotle before every game?

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    This is the new go-to college basketball cliche. We'd better get used to it. For the next 20 years, every dim sportscaster doing a mismatch game is going to whip this out. Then we'll have a documentary about the game.

Trust me; we're all going to get sick of this really quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    I am in a quandary: should the team eat at Chipotle before every game or avoid Chipotle before every game?
    LOL!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    I guess it's POSSIBLE, but much less likely than UMBC beating UVA. We all know Syracuse, and plain and simple, they aren't that good. Cuse was one of the last 4 in the tourney, I think. Michigan St. will win this game handily. I honestly don't mind playing all of the best teams they are throwing at us. It would be great to say we beat Michigan St. and Kansas on the way to the natty.
    This is riduclous. Syracuse is far better than UMBC, and MSU is not as good as UVa. Cuse beating MSU is far more likely than UMBC beating UVa was yesterday.

We are peaking at the right time. They are playing on all cylinders.

I can't think of more cliches, but we are doing them.
    ~rthomas

As the native Pittsburgh people say " yinz are 3-0 in the Berg this year"

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    This is the new go-to college basketball cliche. We'd better get used to it. For the next 20 years, every dim sportscaster doing a mismatch game is going to whip this out. Then we'll have a documentary about the game.
    Trust me; we're all going to get sick of this really quickly.
    True that! But the hoo is way ahead of the rest of us.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by rolm View Post
    Great game on both ends of the floor. Only (minor) issue: Need Trevon to finish those drives to the basket. Some of those misses were easy shots. Once he gets that right, we become formidable and the defense can't cheat on him, allowing him the option to shoot or pass.
    Just cant please some people...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc