Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    You don't think it does Duke any good to be part of the "greatest rivalry in sports?" Seriously?

And you think that rivalry could be great if it were dominated by one team?

I'm secure enough in my dislike of the Cheats to understand reality here.
    Someone else was pointing out that 2010 was great for us, with the subtext that it was great regardless of how bad unc was at that point in time or how the rest of the ACC performed in that tournament. Your response (“What's your point? In 2010, The ACC was the ACC...”) seemed to miss that subtext, so I elaborated. Although in hindsight I guess I can see that maybe you understood that but were just being argumentative.

If we end up cutting down the nets at the end, I will not lose any sleep over the ACC’s overall tournament record if it turns out to be subpar. Nor would I be the least bit upset if unc loses in the second round and thus makes the conference look marginally worse.

For the record, I do feel that the rivalry helps Duke a lot. But that doesn’t mean I have to pull for them in the NCAA tournament or enjoy a down season when it happens. They won 11 games in the past two tournaments; a second round exit at this point would not weaken the rivalry much, if at all, and would be far outweighed by seeing them pack it up for good. Others may feel differently, but I will be pulling hard for Texas A&M today.

EXACTLY!! Can I get an “Amen”?!! Go A&M (and in general, ABC).
    9F, 9F, 9F

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Someone else was pointing out that 2010 was great for us, with the subtext that it was great regardless of how bad unc was at that point in time or how the rest of the ACC performed in that tournament. Your response (“What's your point? In 2010, The ACC was the ACC...”) seemed to miss that subtext, so I elaborated. Although in hindsight I guess I can see that maybe you understood that but were just being argumentative.

If we end up cutting down the nets at the end, I will not lose any sleep over the ACC’s overall tournament record if it turns out to be subpar. Nor would I be the least bit upset if unc loses in the second round and thus makes the conference look marginally worse.

For the record, I do feel that the rivalry helps Duke a lot. But that doesn’t mean I have to pull for them in the NCAA tournament or enjoy a down season when it happens. They won 11 games in the past two tournaments; a second round exit at this point would not weaken the rivalry much, if at all, and would be far outweighed by seeing them pack it up for good. Others may feel differently, but I will be pulling hard for Texas A&M today.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    EXACTLY!! Can I get an “Amen”?!! Go A&M (and in general, ABC).
    9F, 9F, 9F
    Amen, Amen, Amen. I would rather see UNCheat move to another conference than consider the rivalry as essential to our success. Many of their fans are illiterate monsters that believe Grayson’s tribulations far exceed the way the Heels screwed over incoming non-student athletes by not offering them an education.

I will always be disappointed that Duke University didn’t take a stand on our neighbor’s 20+ years of rampant cheating of athletes.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    So the two (or three depending on which Tiger group wins) ACC teams remaining are in the same region.

(Edit: Forgot FSU was still there. Or is an ACC team - different thread)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    So the two (or three depending on which Tiger group wins) ACC teams remaining are in the same region.
    Somewhere a Seminole Indian sheds a tear.

(Edit: I see you caught it later, but DBR snark moves fast.)

I’m counting the UNR win as an ACC win since the Martin brothers did all the work and the real NC State team didn’t show up.

The Noles ensure the ACC has a perfect day.

Crazy that three of four teams left are in the same bracket.

ACC went 3-1 today, with all 3 underdogs winning and the #2 seeded *uNCheaters got upset!!! Just about perfect!!!!
    FSU won the game in clutch time at the FT line, Clemson won the game about 45 seconds after the tip, and SYR got MSU to choke the game away down the stretch.

Banking on WVU wins, the following is the list of conferences with teams remaining
    ACC 4
    Big 12 4
    Big 10 2
    SEC 2
    Big East 1
    WCC 1
    MVC 1
    MWC 1

Today I rooted for the Aggies. Whole heartedly. Worrying about how a conference does is for those whose teams lost or didn't make the tourney.

Total after Sunday:

Power Conferences:
    ACC: 10-5
    Big 12: 8-3
    Big East: 5-5
    Big Ten: 6-2
    Pac-12: 0-3
    SEC: 8-6

Other Conferences:
    A-10: 2-3
    AAC: 2-3
    America East: 1-1
    A-Sun: 0-1
    Big Sky: 0-1
    Big South: 1-1
    Big West: 0-1
    Colonial: 0-1
    CUSA: 1-1
    Horizon: 0-1
    Ivy: 0-1
    MAAC: 0-1
    MAC: 1-1
    MEAC: 0-1
    MVC: 2-0
    MWC: 2-1
    NEC: 0-1
    OVC: 0-1
    Patriot: 0-1
    Southern: 0-1
    Southland: 0-1
    Summit: 0-1
    Sun Belt: 0-1
    SWAC: 1-1
    WCC: 2-0
    WAC: 0-1
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Everyone expected 4 ACC teams in the sweet 16... right? UVA, Duke, UNC and Miami...

Awesome that despite flameouts from 2 of the best 3 teams in the conference, the ACC still manages to have a quarter of the sweet 16. Let’s keep it rolling (everyone except Syracuse)!

Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    Awesome that despite flameouts from 2 of the best 3 teams in the conference, the ACC still manages to have a quarter of the sweet 16. Let’s keep it rolling (everyone except Syracuse)!
    Carolina finished 6th in the ACC. (yes, I realize that was just their seed in the ACC tourney and not really their placement, but I just like seeing it).

Amending pfrduke's conference list to break it down round by round, starting at 64.

Thursday/Friday (Winners advancing to Round of 32)

ACC (9): 5-4 (Duke, UNC, Clemson, FSU, Syracuse)
    SEC (8): 6-2 (Tennessee, Auburn, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Florida, Alabama)
    Big 12 (7): 4-3 (Kansas, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Kansas State)
    Big East (6): 4-2 (Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall, Butler)
    Big Ten (4): 4-0 (Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State)
    AAC (3): 2-1 (Cincinnati, Houston)
    A-10 (3): 1-2 (Rhode Island)
    MWC (2): 1-1 (Nevada)
    America East: 1-0 (UMBC)
    Big South: 0-1
    CUSA: 1-0 (Marshall)
    MAC: 1-0 (Buffalo)
    MVC: 1-0 (Loyola-Chicago)
    Pac-12: 0-1
    SWAC: 0-1
    WCC: 1-0 (Gonzaga)

Saturday/Sunday (Winners advancing to Sweet 16)

SEC (6): 2-4 (Kentucky, Texas A&M)
    ACC (5): 4-1 (Duke, Clemson, FSU, Syracuse)
    Big 12 (4): 4-0 (Kansas, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Kansas State)
    Big East (4): 1-3 (Villanova)
    Big Ten (4): 2-2 (Purdue, Michigan)
    AAC (2): 0-2
    A-10: 0-1
    MWC: 1-0 (Nevada)
    America East: 0-1
    CUSA: 0-1
    MAC: 0-1
    MVC: 1-0 (Loyola-Chicago)
    WCC: 1-0 (Gonzaga)

So, since the 4th best Big12 team (without their best player), beat the team that blew out the best ACC team by 20 points, are you all going to **finally** agree with me that the Big12 is better than the ACC?

(This ^^ is a joke.)

Back on topic, I have posted this before, but the relationship Duke has with UNC is absolutely crazy to me. I can't wrap my mind around it. KU's biggest rival (Missouri) is a perpetual laughing stock that barely makes the tournament every few years. We have been on the short end of several early upsets, but we can at least take solace in knowing our rival isn't going anywhere either. Last year would have driven me to the insane asylum if I were you guys, falling early then watching your rival win it all.

You guys have 5 championships to their 4* since the early 90s. Titles are great, but I would have to think long and hard if I was offered 5 championships in the next 25 years, if it meant Missouri won 4.

* A few of those shouldn't count, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    So, since the 4th best Big12 team (without their best player), beat the team that blew out the best ACC team by 20 points, are you all going to **finally** agree with me that the Big12 is better than the ACC?

(This ^^ is a joke.)

Back on topic, I have posted this before, but the relationship Duke has with UNC is absolutely crazy to me. I can't wrap my mind around it. KU's biggest rival (Missouri) is a perpetual laughing stock that barely makes the tournament every few years. We have been on the short end of several early upsets, but we can at least take solace in knowing our rival isn't going anywhere either. Last year would have driven me to the insane asylum if I were you guys, falling early then watching your rival win it all.

You guys have 5 championships to their 4* since the early 90s. Titles are great, but I would have to think long and hard if I was offered 5 championships in the next 25 years, if it meant Missouri won 4.

* A few of those shouldn't count, obviously.
    thems fightin' words!
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I was just thinking about the UVA upset, and I would bet that if we had had a poll about which would be the first #1 seed to lose a game in the tournament, Xavier would have been first and UVA last. Now, why didn't think of that poll a few days ago?
    Actually, I probably would have had Villanova as the least likely, with UVA second.

ACC and Big 12 in a real battle to see which is the top conference of the tourney. C’mon Clemson... help us out!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Halfway through the Sweet 16:

Power Conferences:
    ACC: 11-5
    Big 12: 9-3
    Big East: 5-5
    Big Ten: 7-2
    Pac-12: 0-3
    SEC: 8-8

Other Conferences:
    A-10: 2-3
    AAC: 2-3
    America East: 1-1
    Big South: 1-1
    CUSA: 1-1
    MAC: 1-1
    MVC: 3-0
    MWC: 2-2
    SWAC: 1-1
    WCC: 2-1
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke