Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I had the time all wrong thanks!

That's very telling. Amazing given that we know he stinks and this team is so much better when he's on the bench /s

From those numbers

Stall ball/extended zone: 2 points, 9 posessions = 5 (lol)
    W/o TD: 14 points 7 possessions = 183
    other: 58 points, 55 possessions = 88

so duke played their new-normal really good defense with even an injured duval on the floor NOT including the end-game. spectacular defense at the end, and awful defense without duval.

So that looks to me like UNC didn't figure squat out, and duke largely played the same great defense they have been playing.
    Good stuff here! Seems like our offense was equally terrible in the last 2 UNC games with a Duval on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    71 FGA - 18 OR + 13 TO + .475 * 15 FTA = 73 posessions

Your math is off somewhere. My post was about how you take the raw number ~1ppp and get the adjusted number ~.86 or so.
    My math was off. Sorry for the confusion.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Duval went out at the 17:18 mark in the first half, and didn’t return until the 13 minute mark. In that 4:18, UNC scored 14 points in 7 possessions. The rest of the game they scored 60 points in 66 possessions. Or, if we take out those frenetic last 5 minutes, 58 points on 56 possessions. Which is really good when playing UNC.
    w/o duval: 2 points, 8 poss = 34 (lol)
    w duval: 67 points, 64 poss = 113

So still low not great...maybe okay given the injured duval and gimpy carter and given we weren't hitting anything? especially since duval is the piece we needed to penetrate, and he showed its value in UNC R2.

If anyone is still questioning duval's value to this team...it's a lost cause.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    But they don't really play any defense, especially inside. They are outside the top-200 in overall defensive efficiency, and 238th in defending 2pt shots. All of this is as you might expect from an undersized team, and, well, they are an undersized team.
    Which is there primary defense, man-to-man or zone? Any chance they pack the inside with a tight zone and dare us to beat them from the 3 PT line?
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Which is there primary defense, man-to-man or zone? Any chance they pack the inside with a tight zone and dare us to beat them from the 3 PT line?
    mmm lets have gary grayson wendell alex and justin light it up from 3 all day
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Don't we struggle for some times in EVERY game? Seriously, until I see something different, I expect nothing but a roller coaster ride from this Duke team. I don't expect Iona or any other team to be easy. If Trent and Allen aren't shooting particularly well and they clog the lane on our bigs, we struggle. Iona gets hot from 3 for a period, we have a game on our hands. Duke can't seem to play well for more than 2-4 minute stretches, then we get turnovers and bad shots for a stretch. We have to hope our great 2-4 minute stretches are extraordinary enough to outweigh the inevitable bad play. As has been the case all season- Duke can lose to anyone, or beat anyone on any given night. That's just our reality this year.
    Just getting caught up on this thread and I whole-heartedly agree with this. In addition, no matter what the venue if a top seed starts to play poorly the crowd, except for the top-seeds fans, will start to cheer against the top seed. This makes a neutral game feel more like a road game. This team has had extended stretches of poor play in road games all year.

Duval is the key to that full court zone press. He’s so athletic and has something like a 6’7” wingspan and can really disrupt the PG trying to get the ball down the court, forcing them to psss from side to side. Allen is similar, and together they really cause a lot of havoc. As soon as Tre went out Alex took his place, who is nowhere near as good a defender so we had to drop back into the half court defense. Even when Tre came back, I think K was hesitant to try to press full court knowing he was hobbling. There were times where his limp was really noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Duval is the key to that full court zone press. He’s so athletic and has something like a 6’7” wingspan and can really disrupt the PG trying to get the ball down the court, forcing them to psss from side to side. Allen is similar, and together they really cause a lot of havoc. As soon as Tre went out Alex took his place, who is nowhere near as good a defender so we had to drop back into the half court defense. Even when Tre came back, I think K was hesitant to try to press full court knowing he was hobbling. There were times where his limp was really noticeable.
    AGREE 100% - and I would add that Tre plays better offense when he's out pressing and trapping on D. It seems to get his athletic juices flowing. And of course, the fact that he often swipes a pass and dunks it doesn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    They play both man and 2-3 zone. Neither is very effective. They could certainly try to pack it in, but they are so small that I think we would still kill them on the offensive glass.

In 1986, Duke ended up as #3 in SRS, and Mississippi Valley State was #179 -- a bigger disparity than Duke and Iona right now:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...6-ratings.html

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    In 1986, Duke ended up as #3 in SRS, and Mississippi Valley State was #179 -- a bigger disparity than Duke and Iona right now:

That game was played in Greensboro. I know unc played against Utah that same day but could not determine where they played.

You just triggered me.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    That game was played in Greensboro. I know unc played against Utah that same day but could not determine where they played.
    Ogden, UT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_N...all_Tournament

They really got screwed then. Someone from Utah must have been on the committee... 14 seed utah vs. 3 seed unc in a first round game in Ogden utah. Still, I bet dean didn't complain as much as calipari did yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Maybe K can convince them to come out playing like they are already down 10.
    Hope this stupid play ended with UNC game. Spotting teams 10 or 12 or 14 points can't happen again.

Grayson, Gary and Trevon have to start fast. At least they now know this could be their last game in a Duke uniform. No more excuses. Bad officiating nasty crowd just ball and win.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That uber focus seems to come when we extend and trap.
    How long can we extend and trap without wearing the guys out. We really only have one perimeter sub. Another thought is that by extending and trapping, the other team may be able to make adjustments and negate the value of that activity.

The point of these comments is that extending and trapping is probably best used in short spurts. What we need to do is avoid stretches where we come out flat and find ourselves down by doubled digits, where the extend and trap is used to get back in the game instead of getting a nice lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    How long can we extend and trap without wearing the guys out. We really only have one perimeter sub. Another thought is that by extending and trapping, the other team may be able to make adjustments and negate the value of that activity.

The point of these comments is that extending and trapping is probably best used in short spurts. What we need to do is avoid stretches where we come out flat and find ourselves down by doubled digits, where the extend and trap is used to get back in the game instead of getting a nice lead.
    Well I certainly was not advocating for extending the trap all the time, and while I am convinced it triggers the uber focus, especially in Duval, I don't think it's a requirement to keep trapping all game once that focus is going. I would, however, be for taking a look at more trap time and using the bench a few more minutes per game.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You just triggered me.
    Me too....86 was my favorite team of all I think....great team, played hard every game, and forever will have the first hoop ever scored at the Dean Dome (thanks Mark Alarie). The dadgum Miss Valley game was nothing short of trauma. I even remember their coaches name....Lafayette Stribling. I mean, talk about useless trivia...but I cannot forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Me too...86 was my favorite team of all I think...great team, played hard every game, and forever will have the first hoop ever scored at the Dean Dome (thanks Mark Alarie). The dadgum Miss Valley game was nothing short of trauma. I even remember their coaches name...Lafayette Stribling. I mean, talk about useless trivia...but I cannot forget it.
    Yes, great team that would have been national champions except for some guy named Bilas.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You just triggered me.
    I would say the off-topic board and "Ymm, Beer" might be a safe space to hang out until the nervousness passes, but that requires a passing interest in chemistry as well as a working knowledge of food pairings, and the fitness thread is all about guilt, so I'm at a loss -- it's a dangerous internet, the past is never past, and there's nothing we can do about it.