Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    No one is noticing Iona's recent run?

NCAA tournament champions:
    1979, 1980*, 1984, 1985, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2016 (13th seed), 2017 (14th seed), 2018

Conference tournament champions:
    1982, 1984, 1985, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018

Their starters have underperformed this season, but this 13/14 seed level team if they play to their potential.

We're not going to have an easy game.
    You convinced me- putting all my money on Iona. Wait a minute...they also have lost in the first round of every NCAAT they have been in other than 1980 when Valvano was coach and Ruland was their star center. I am so confused. Are they going to win or has history shown they are a first round loser.

Quote Originally Posted by devilseven View Post
    How did Bilas explain being tottally dominated by Pervis Ellison?
    ....not sure how Bilas did, but I'd explain it by saying Never Nervous Pervis was just better. And in defense of Bilas, and Alarie, the key basket was on a Pervis rebound of a Louisville air ball. Duke had position on the rebound, but not for an air ball.

And I'll say this, if no one else has....Never Nervous Pervis is the second best nick name of any college athlete....(Neon Deon being the best!)

Latest video put out by DukeMBB shows Duval practicing. Great to see, even though I’d guess he’s not 100%

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...not sure how Bilas did, but I'd explain it by saying Never Nervous Pervis was just better. And in defense of Bilas, and Alarie, the key basket was on a Pervis rebound of a Louisville air ball. Duke had position on the rebound, but not for an air ball.

And I'll say this, if no one else has...Never Nervous Pervis is the second best nick name of any college athlete...(Neon Deon being the best!)
    I was there that day in Dallas. Ellison had 25 points and 11 rebounds, many over Bilas. Ellison was a freshman, I beleive. Great performance. Bilas had 4 points and 3 rebounds. Complete domination.

Duval Status

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Latest video put out by DukeMBB shows Duval practicing. Great to see, even though I’d guess he’s not 100%
    Thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    You convinced me- putting all my money on Iona. Wait a minute...they also have lost in the first round of every NCAAT they have been in other than 1980 when Valvano was coach and Ruland was their star center. I am so confused. Are they going to win or has history shown they are a first round loser.
    Or it could be the year they finally break through?

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Or it could be the year they finally break through?
    Just making sure. 1March madness live will carry all the games ? I ask because I look at that app and it doesn't list upcoming games like ESPN does. W ESPN I always feel ok bc I put in Duke and it lists the upcoming game that will be shown... I don't see that on my march madness live app? It says 'watch' on the bottom but doesn't list the games upcoming etc

2. Can't I go to an NCAA website to watch? Ncaa.com - it lists just archived videos, classics etc but doesn't exactly give a search bar w Duke Iona that makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Lol
    Please help and thanks - appreciated
    Last edited by gofurman; 03-14-2018 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/s...523456/video/1

here you go...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I'm pretty sure I saw Carter for a second. I saw Duval and the fact that someone picked him up after he made a jumpshot was encouraging. His ankle must not be too delicate for that to have happened.

2015 Iona: 26 wins; 1st in MAAC; 109th best team; lost @ AP #25 Ark by 17; lost in NIT by 13
    2016 Iona: 22 wins; 2nd in MAAC; 113th best team; lost in ncaa by 13 to AP #22 ISU
    2017 Iona: 22 wins: 3rd in MAAC; 138th best team; lost in ncaa by 16 to AP #9 Oregon
    2018 Iona: 20 wins; 4th in MAAC; 147th best team; playing AP #9 Duke

90 wins in 4 years; played and hung with (13 - 17 points) ranked teams, including in ncaa; but trending down (1 - 2 - 3 - 4 MAAC reg season finishes; 109 - 113 - 138 - 147 SRS)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-schedule.html

UCLA did their best imitation of a flat Duke basketball offensive performance last night with turnovers galore and an inability to score over long periods to go down to the Bonnies last night. Hope we have that flat lackadaisical play out of our system. While we should beat Iona, I hope we do it convincingly with good fundamental execution.

Of the eight other 15/2 NCAA upsets, the highest (final, SRS) ranked 2-seeds who went down are #4 Michigan State in 2016 (to #125 MTSU), #7 Mizzou in 2012 (to #207 Norfolk State), and #8 Arizona in 1993 (to #123 Santa Clara). Duke in 2012 ended up #12 in the SRS (and lost to #106 Lehigh). Duke in 2018 is now #2.

Of the eight other 15/2 NCAA upsets, the lowest (final, SRS) ranked 15-seeds who triumphed are #207 Norfolk State (over #7 Mizzou) in 2012, #184 Hampton (over #20 Iowa State) in 2001, and #156 Coppin State (over #27 South Carolina) in 1997.

The largest expected SRS point differential was 23 points (#7 Mizzou expected over #207 Norfolk State in 2012).

Right now, Duke's expected SRS point differential is 24 over Iona.

So, if Iona beats Duke, Duke will probably be the highest SRS-rated 2-seed to go down (Michigan State ended #4 in 2016), and it will probably be the largest expected SRS point differential overcome by a 15-seed (Mizzou's 23-point differential over #207 Norfolk State currently leads there).

Three 15-seeds (Norfolk State #207; Hampton #184; Coppin State #156) who are rated lower than Iona's current #147 have won.

The 2016 #4 Mich State/#125 MTSU game (20 point expected differential) and the 2012 #7 Mizzou/#207 Norfolk State (23 point expected differential) look the most like the #2 Duke/#147 Iona game (24 point expected differential).

On these metrics, it looks like the 2012 Mizzou/Norfolk State game is the biggest 15/2 upset, but Iona/Duke would surpass it (Duke highest SRS ranked team; largest point differential -- maybe, depending on how final numbers shake out).

Quote Originally Posted by devilseven View Post
    I was there that day in Dallas. Ellison had 25 points and 11 rebounds, many over Bilas. Ellison was a freshman, I believe. Great performance. Bilas had 4 points and 3 rebounds. Complete domination.
    Louisville was just awful in the first half. We had a three-point lead, but it should have been double-digits. Then we didn't make shots down the stretch.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Louisville was just awful in the first half. We had a three-point lead, but it should have been double-digits. Then we didn't make shots down the stretch.
    That is my memory exactly. Specifically, Alarie and David Henderson missed some open mid range jumpers down the stretch that they always hit. I remember thinking this team is still exhausted from the war with Kansas on Saturday.

It was kind of like 2015 in reverse. I think Kentucky took something out of Wisconsin that benefitted us. I think in 86 the war with Kansas helped a Louisville team that was in no way as good as Duke 86.

We better get ready for a loud booing when ever Grayson has the ball but really it's been that way all year. I'm hoping Grayson uses that for motivation to shut the crowd up. I'm sure the coaches have addressed the team about it as well. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Did you have to do that?

Local Flavor

Here's an article from one of the local papers near Iona. Nothing super exciting except this quote about Grayson:

"The tripping stuff, I'm not really a big fan of that," McGill said. "If he wants to start tripping then we can turn it into a tripping match. But I'm not really getting into that."

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/h...uke/418143002/

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Here's an article from one of the local papers near Iona. Nothing super exciting except this quote about Grayson:

"The tripping stuff, I'm not really a big fan of that," McGill said. "If he wants to start tripping then we can turn it into a tripping match. But I'm not really getting into that."

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/h...uke/418143002/
    perfect. let them be worried about allen's past meanwhile bagley and carter are giving them the rope-a-dope.
    April 1

1920s Beat Reporter:
    "Hey Duke, waddya do aside from making millions in tobacco, energy, and textiles?"

James B Duke:
    "Iona College."