View Poll Results: Who will win the South region

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Virginia

    66 70.21%
  • Cincinnati

    5 5.32%
  • Tennessee

    4 4.26%
  • Arizona

    13 13.83%
  • Kentucky

    4 4.26%
  • Miami (FL)

    0 0%
  • Nevada

    0 0%
  • Creighton

    0 0%
  • Kansas St.

    0 0%
  • Texas

    0 0%
  • Loyola (Chi)

    1 1.06%
  • Davidson

    1 1.06%
  • Buffalo

    0 0%
  • Wright St.

    0 0%
  • Ga State/UMBC

    0 0%
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 647
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!

    NCAA South collector thread (Virginia #1 seed, Cincy #2)

    Post your thoughts about the South region here. And don't forget to vote in the poll for who will win the region.

    -Jason
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  2. #2
    I understand if people are scared away from UVA and Tony Bennett because of the tourney history, but I have no idea why those same people would run toward Sean Miller.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    If UVA ends up playing Cincy, that's gonna be some ugly basketball.

    #1 kenpom D vs. #2 kenpom D. Neither team great offensively. Both are physical teams.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Go Hoos!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    Cats are at full strength. Ayton is no longer a freshman. No one can stop him. Not even Virginia. Plus, Boise is in their Time Zone, a factor which should never be ignored.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Cats are at full strength. Ayton is no longer a freshman. No one can stop him. Not even Virginia. Plus, Boise is in their Time Zone, a factor which should never be ignored.
    Ayton is a bit foul prone, so that could be something to watch. But I could see Kentucky taking out Zona.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    But I could see Kentucky taking out Zona.
    It'll be a good game if Kentucky plays like it has the past few games.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    It'll be a good game if Kentucky plays like it has the past few games.
    They've turned it on a bit, for sure. But, they beat a couple teams that had injury issues and then squeaked by Tennessee. So I'm not sold on them yet.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Cats are at full strength. Ayton is no longer a freshman. No one can stop him. Not even Virginia. Plus, Boise is in their Time Zone, a factor which should never be ignored.
    If both advance, UVA would play Arizona in Atlanta, not Boise.

  10. #10
    I know Ayton is a freak, but I'm not totally sold on Arizona. They haven't played anyone very good in a while, and when they did, they had some bad losses. I think UVA would win comfortably should it get to that point.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    They've turned it on a bit, for sure. But, they beat a couple teams that had injury issues and then squeaked by Tennessee. So I'm not sold on them yet.
    They also lost by double digits to a 6 seed, one week ago. I guess "turning it on" means beating unranked Georgia, unranked Alabama, and Tennessee. Prior to today, they had only played 4 games against ranked teams all year, and they lost 3 of them.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    I know Ayton is a freak, but I'm not totally sold on Arizona. They haven't played anyone very good in a while, and when they did, they had some bad losses. I think UVA would win comfortably should it get to that point.
    It would be the most motivated Bennett has ever been. Punks like the Miller brothers and Chris Mack dilute the Packline brand by trying to imitate the Bennetts' defense. But the Packline is a family recipe, and only the Bennetts know the secret ingredients to build it. When family honor is at stake, you bet on that team.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    They also lost by double digits to a 6 seed, one week ago. I guess "turning it on" means beating unranked Georgia, unranked Alabama, and Tennessee. Prior to today, they had only played 4 games against ranked teams all year, and they lost 3 of them.
    Georgia was unimpressive. But Alabama was a decent win. However, they were missing a key player.

    Tennessee was a great win and UK got hot from outside the past few games. If they can keep up the shooting, they'll be tough.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    It'll be a good game if Kentucky plays like it has the past few games.
    Heck, I could see Davidson taking out Kentucky. Classic 5-12 game.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    But Alabama was a decent win. However, they were missing a key player.
    Kentucky has also been missing a player... Jared Vanderbilt.

    I don't see them getting by Virginia, but if they continue to hit threes they will be a tough out. Gilgeous-Alexander is playing his best ball of the year and they are playing through him.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    If both advance, UVA would play Arizona in Atlanta, not Boise.
    Heh. I knew when I wrote that, someone would say something, impervious to the obvious. Just to clarify, I was only referring to the first weekend.

    And again to state the obvious, in Atlanta, if they both get there, Virginia will have the Time Zone advantage. Unless...Arizona goes straight to Atlanta; in that case they should be diurnally adjusted.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    I understand if people are scared away from UVA and Tony Bennett because of the tourney history, but I have no idea why those same people would run toward Sean Miller.
    Wow. Until your comment, I hadn't realized the slim postseason history of the coaches of the top 4 teams in this region. Rick Barnes is the only coach among them with a Final Four (Texas in 2003), and now he coaches Tennessee, which has never been. (Kind of like Jim Larraņaga with 6-seed Miami.)

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Cats are at full strength. Ayton is no longer a freshman. No one can stop him. Not even Virginia. Plus, Boise is in their Time Zone, a factor which should never be ignored.
    If Virginia can beat us in Cameron, they can beat Arizona. Wilkins, Salt, Hunter and Diakite are all strong frontcourt defenders. They may not stop Ayton, but they can certainly slow him down.
    Last edited by luvdahops; 03-11-2018 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Additional point

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    near the Thrillerdome in ATL

    My other team

    Go Ramblers!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    If Virginia can beat us in Cameron, they can beat Arizona. Wilkins, Salt, Hunter and Diakite are all strong frontcourt defenders. They may not stop Ayton, but they can certainly slow him down.
    Change the FT shooting a little bit (we only hit 5 of 11), you get a different outcome. I don't think the 2 pt UVa-Duke game is a valid predictor for UVa-UofA.

Similar Threads

  1. NCAA East collector thread (Villanova #1 seed, Purdue #2)
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 03-30-2018, 12:27 PM
  2. NCAA Midwest collector thread (Kansas #1 seed, Duke #2)
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 344
    Last Post: 03-23-2018, 09:41 PM
  3. NCAA West region collector thread (Xavier #1 seed, UNC #2)
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 276
    Last Post: 03-23-2018, 09:29 AM
  4. NCAA South Regional Thread (UNC, UK, UCLA, Butler)
    By pfrduke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 03-20-2017, 08:40 AM
  5. MBB: NCAA Seeding, Bubble Talk, Bracketing, etc Collector Thread
    By Troublemaker in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 03-13-2016, 05:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •