Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: go eagles

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Orleans
    The good old prevent defense -- been snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for 35 years. Any QB is going to find a receiver if he's got 20 leisurely seconds to look.

    As an LSU fan, I'm getting a little ill at the possibility that BC might keep them out of the national championship game. And no, Stray, I'm not taking anything for granted in the SEC title game. The thought of playing the Gators again on a neutral field is making me a little ill also.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Okay, I can understand why you'd suspect bias in my assessment. But I'll "call you" back: Name the college football players you believe have--on a consistent basis against solid competition week-to-week--played better than Tebow. I'll give you Glenn Dorsey as one who has excelled every Saturday on the defensive side (though he unfortunately had to sit out much of the Auburn game because of a nasty chop block). Who else?
    the pool of potential heisman trophy winners is not restricted to players on the team that plays the hardest teams. that's ridiculous. fwiw, washington has played the hardest schedule so you should be endorsing its best player for the heisman.

    when bc set up its schedule, it expected notre dame to be a top team and it also didn't expect the acc to be a complete joke this year. has the acc ever been worse? people should be rooting for bc because, not unlike duke, it doesn't accept any good player with a pulse, makes its players go to class, graduates them and more or less does things the right way. the fact that duke can make money off bc playing in a bcs game makes it even better.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Okay, I can understand why you'd suspect bias in my assessment. But I'll "call you" back: Name the college football players you believe have--on a consistent basis against solid competition week-to-week--played better than Tebow. I'll give you Glenn Dorsey as one who has excelled every Saturday on the defensive side (though he unfortunately had to sit out much of the Auburn game because of a nasty chop block). Who else?
    Mike Hart. Even though he's been injured the past couple of weeks, he has been everything for Michigan this year. 1088 yards rushing, 12 TDs. The only reason he's not really in the running is the 2 early losses for Michigan (in which he had 188 yds and 3 TDs against App State, and 127 yds for Oregon). But with man-stats like these, he should definitely be in the running, and I would say that he has been every bit as consistent against tough competition week in and week out. Quite simply the "Hart" and Soul of Michigan football.
    2003-2004 HLM

    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    I don't know Stray, i was talking out my arse.

    That said, UF has three losses, and the silly commentators who talk about the Heisman say that 3 losses is a big ding on a candidate's resume. As though he can control the other 21 guys. But they say that.

    Troy Davis at Iowa State deserved two and got none. He was on some 3-8 teams.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I don't know Stray, i was talking out my arse.

    That said, UF has three losses, and the silly commentators who talk about the Heisman say that 3 losses is a big ding on a candidate's resume. As though he can control the other 21 guys. But they say that.

    Troy Davis at Iowa State deserved two and got none. He was on some 3-8 teams.
    Tebow probably won't get the Heisman this year. But if asked to pick a college football team of players they'd most like to have play for them, I suspect a lot of fans who regard him with Redick-like "hate/envy" would secretly choose him for their QB. Against Georgia today, Tebow and Harvin played like warriors; the rest of the UF team, not so much. The Dawgs definitely outplayed the Gators and deserved the victory. Moreno and Stafford took full advantage of a young, inexperienced Gator defense. But nobody played harder, sacrificed his body, and did more when on the field to keep his team in the game, than Tebow.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Tebow probably won't get the Heisman this year. But if asked to pick a college football team of players they'd most like to have play for them, I suspect a lot of fans who regard him with Redick-like "hate/envy" would secretly choose him for their QB..
    Love you Stray, ain't that way.

    Football doesn't focus the same spotlight on individual players like BB does.

    Tebow ain't no, say, Bush a couple years ago.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    I might take Mike Hart or Dennis Dixon before Tebow. It's a tough call though and Tebow is definitely one of the top 5 guys at skill positions this season.

  8. #28

    Bcs Bs

    Okay, as I told my Boston native father in law last week (great year for him with the Red Sox, Pats and BC) an ACC school ranked in the top 5 is stupidity personified, especially this year. If it brings Duke $$$$ yay, woopie and hoofreakin' ray. But you put BC in the SEC, Big 10 or even Pac 10 and they aren't undefeated and thus not in the top 5. Expansion has lowered the level of football play for those good football schools that came on board. And it hasn't elevated the play of the non football schools.
    I liken BC this year to the 49ers glory days playing in the NFC West against the Falcons, Rams etc. If they had played in the NFC East where Montana had gotten hit once in a while and other injuries occurred those Super Bowls wouldn't have come so easy. BC plays in a weak conference against weak competition. Even if they go undefeated and win it all it's almost like playing a one game season because the competition is so weak.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    But you put BC in the SEC, Big 10 or even Pac 10 and they aren't undefeated and thus not in the top 5.
    Neither you nor anybody else has any idea if this is true or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    an ACC school ranked in the top 5 is stupidity personified
    This has become the most immature joke of an argument in all of sports. I would assume the fanbase of a basketball school would know better. Is Memphis being in the top 5 in basketball stupidity personified? CUSA in basketball is far worse than the ACC in football.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Okay, as I told my Boston native father in law last week (great year for him with the Red Sox, Pats and BC) an ACC school ranked in the top 5 is stupidity personified, especially this year. If it brings Duke $$$$ yay, woopie and hoofreakin' ray. But you put BC in the SEC, Big 10 or even Pac 10 and they aren't undefeated and thus not in the top 5. Expansion has lowered the level of football play for those good football schools that came on board. And it hasn't elevated the play of the non football schools.
    BC would compete just fine in the Big 10/11. They're a joke this year. And yes, while BC would probably not go undefeated in the SEC or PAC-10, the two best conferences, it's not like member teams from those conferences are going unscathed either (besides ASU... so far... they play @Oregon next week).

    BC's schedule is fine. If they finish undefeated they'll have won against Wake, @GaTech, @VT, against FSU, @Maryland, @Clemson, against Miami-Fl, and the ACC title game. None of those are great teams BUT I can guarantee you LSU, an extremely overrated team, would not have gone undefeated against that schedule. Some of those teams are certainly better than Kentucky.

  11. #31

    Agreed

    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    BC would compete just fine in the Big 10/11. They're a joke this year. And yes, while BC would probably not go undefeated in the SEC or PAC-10, the two best conferences, it's not like member teams from those conferences are going unscathed either (besides ASU... so far... they play @Oregon next week).

    BC's schedule is fine. If they finish undefeated they'll have won against Wake, @GaTech, @VT, against FSU, @Maryland, @Clemson, against Miami-Fl, and the ACC title game. None of those are great teams BUT I can guarantee you LSU, an extremely overrated team, would not have gone undefeated against that schedule. Some of those teams are certainly better than Kentucky.
    I agree about LSU 1000% and everyone knows BC's schedule is backloaded with some tough, tough games coming up. I just love it when optimists are ready to count BCS $$$$ when a team reaches a number two ranking. I'm also noticing a lot of parity, or at least higher ranked teams getting knocked off quite a bit this year. I'm just glad Duke doesn't have Appalachian State on the schedule this year.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    How exactly is LSU "extremely overrated?" That doesn't make any sense at all.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    How exactly is LSU "extremely overrated?" That doesn't make any sense at all.
    Why not? Plus, what I said can neither make sense NOR not make sense since I didn't even provide any logic for it. I could if you asked nicely.

    Oh, and is USF still the best team in the country? I was right about USF and I'll be right about LSU.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    I don't remember ever saying that USF is the best team in the country.

    That you use the future tense when talking about LSU ("I'll be right about LSU") makes me believe that you don't know that the polls are supposed to be based on performance, not speculation (obviously this can't apply to the preseason ones and the first couple of weeks). USF could lose every game for the next ten years and it wouldn't change the fact that they deserved to be in the top 5 two weeks ago based on their resume. Similarly, it could very well end up that LSU is not one of the five best teams in the country when all is said and done, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve their ranking right now.

    I'm open to your opinion that LSU isn't the third best team in the country or that they deserve to be ranked a little bit higher or a little bit lower, but that's a lot different then saying they are "extremely overrated."

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I don't remember ever saying that USF is the best team in the country.

    That you use the future tense when talking about LSU ("I'll be right about LSU") makes me believe that you don't know that the polls are supposed to be based on performance, not speculation (obviously this can't apply to the preseason ones and the first couple of weeks). USF could lose every game for the next ten years and it wouldn't change the fact that they deserved to be in the top 5 two weeks ago based on their resume. Similarly, it could very well end up that LSU is not one of the five best teams in the country when all is said and done, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve their ranking right now.

    I'm open to your opinion that LSU isn't the third best team in the country or that they deserve to be ranked a little bit higher or a little bit lower, but that's a lot different then saying they are "extremely overrated."
    Did I mention the polls anywhere or say they didn't deserve their ranking? They are extremely overrated because the general consensus is that they are the best team in the country. Besides the whole they-could-easily-have-3-losses thing, there's this general consensus out there that LSU has the most talent in the country and would whup, say, tOSU head-to-head (although, after tOSU's dismantling of PSU, I figure some have changed their minds). LSU has issues along both lines, their QB has been shaky for most of the year, and they just don't have that many playmakers on offense.

    About USF, even though two weeks ago I agreed with USF's ranking in terms of accomplishments and stated as much, two weeks ago I also told you in-depth that they are not one of the top 5 teams in the country. I believe you disagreed and said that they had "national championship contender" written all over them or something like that. I disagreed, pointed out why, and it turns out that I was prescient. That's all I'm saying. It's the same thing here. LSU may or may not deserve their poll ranking and BCS ranking as of right now based on accomplishments. But, in actuality, they are a far worse team than their rankings would indicate. Of course it's just my opinion, but I like my opinions AND, right or wrong, they pretty much always make sense.

  16. #36
    As an aside, Wander, your whole schtick of telling people "you don't make sense", "that is illogical", etc etc etc is becoming very tiresome. Do you talk to your friends and neighbors like that? I know you're trying to be Mr. Unbiased Opinion or whatever, but instead of being that, you're coming off more like a caricature of that right now. My advice is to go against initial instincts a little bit when you want to make those statements and just saying "I disagree and here's why". Of course, that's just my unsolicited opinion. Do with it what you will.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Did I mention the polls anywhere or say they didn't deserve their ranking? They are extremely overrated because the general consensus is that they are the best team in the country. Besides the whole they-could-easily-have-3-losses thing, there's this general consensus out there that LSU has the most talent in the country and would whup, say, tOSU head-to-head (although, after tOSU's dismantling of PSU, I figure some have changed their minds). LSU has issues along both lines, their QB has been shaky for most of the year, and they just don't have that many playmakers on offense.

    About USF, even though two weeks ago I agreed with USF's ranking in terms of accomplishments and stated as much, two weeks ago I also told you in-depth that they are not one of the top 5 teams in the country. I believe you disagreed and said that they had "national championship contender" written all over them or something like that. I disagreed, pointed out why, and it turns out that I was prescient. That's all I'm saying. It's the same thing here. LSU may or may not deserve their poll ranking and BCS ranking as of right now based on accomplishments. But, in actuality, they are a far worse team than their rankings would indicate. Of course it's just my opinion, but I like my opinions AND, right or wrong, they pretty much always make sense.
    you sound the FDA in this post. are you really patting yourself on the back for identifying USF as over-rated when they were #2? notwithstanding the fact that you apparently found an anonymous person on a chat board who thought otherwise, you do realize that just about everyone else thought the same thing?

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    you sound the FDA in this post. are you really patting yourself on the back for identifying USF as over-rated when they were #2? notwithstanding the fact that you apparently found an anonymous person on a chat board who thought otherwise, you do realize that just about everyone else thought the same thing?
    dukie8, you don't really have the context to this conversation. First of all, yes, there are/were a bunch of folks on here who didn't think USF was overrated. Second, I'm patting myself on the back in response to Wander's "you are being illogical" statements. I don't usually go around telling people I make sense unless there was someone telling me I didn't. Third, I am fricking awesome so shut your trap

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Saying a team is overrated generally means you think they're ranked too high, Troublemaker, considering that the polls and the BCS are how teams are "rated" in the sport. I did say that I thought USF was a national championship contender but I've also said that if they lost to Rutgers they should drop in the rankings just like any other team would and unlike many fans I don't have any problem changing my opinion on teams frequently as the season goes on. As I'm guessing you know, I don't have a problem arguing that LSU isn't the best team in the country and I certainly don't think they would blow out Ohio State.

    Anyway, "overhyped" is probably a more accurate term, but I'm not interested in getting into a petty argument about terminology.

    For whatever it's worth, I'd say Ohio State is the best team in country right now. I don't know who I'd say is the second best team. I think I may be leaning towards West Virginia but I'm really not sure. What do you think?

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Saying a team is overrated generally means you think they're ranked too high, Troublemaker, considering that the polls and the BCS are how teams are "rated" in the sport. I did say that I thought USF was a national championship contender but I've also said that if they lost to Rutgers they should drop in the rankings just like any other team would and unlike many fans I don't have any problem changing my opinion on teams frequently as the season goes on. As I'm guessing you know, I don't have a problem arguing that LSU isn't the best team in the country and I certainly don't think they would blow out Ohio State.

    Anyway, "overhyped" is probably a more accurate term, but I'm not interested in getting into a petty argument about terminology.

    For whatever it's worth, I'd say Ohio State is the best team in country right now. I don't know who I'd say is the second best team. I think I may be leaning towards West Virginia but I'm really not sure. What do you think?
    I think tOSU is the best as well. Although Boeckman's game against PSU was, by far, his best of the season (perhaps not statistically, but definitely in terms of play) and I wonder if he can keep it up. They still have to beat a reinvigorated Michigan team in the Big House so we'll see if they can make it to the Superdome, but I agree that they are the best, meaning they would win a round-robin against all the other top teams. I have no clue who's second-best, although gun to my head, I would probably choose WVU as well. But that defense, ugh...

Similar Threads

  1. Eagles finally fly
    By Olympic Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2007, 11:52 AM
  2. The Eagles land again!
    By Jarhead in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 06:44 PM
  3. The Philadelphia Eagles throwback unis..
    By yum dukie in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 12:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •