Netflix: Jessica Jones

Anyone else as excited as I am to start season two of Jessica Jones?

I was introduced to the character about twenty years ago, via comic books. I've never been much of a comic book person, but I really enjoyed the Alias series.

I like the Jessica Jones series quite well. In my opinion, it's the best executed of the Marvel/Netflix series. Her character is snarky and flawed, her powers rather... ambiguous, but there's a reality there which I enjoy - well, as far as a superhero series can go.

In my opinion, what makes or breaks these Marvel shows is the antagonists. I like Luke Cage as a character, and I loved the first half of his series. When they switched "big bads" halfway through, I really thought the series took a precipitous downturn. Daredevil season one was great with Kingpin. Punisher is a fun series, but lacks a strong bad guy.

Killgrave was a fantastic villain. He was strong but not impervious. His motivations are selfish and cruel. There's a shred of sympathy for him at moments when you see what he endured to become what he is, but that sympathy is quickly wiped away by his evil actions of retribution. His complete lack of remorse makes him truly hateable. Let's face it - he's the Tar Heel of villains.

Anyways, all this to say - while trying to remain spoiled free for anyone who hasn't seen any of these shows (but really, what are you waiting for at this point?) I assume that he will not be back in this season, and I hope that they can find/create a worthwhile villain for Jessica Jones to go toe to toe with.

It may be a bit before I dig deep into this series, given that we are launching into the heart of basketball season. Just wanted a place for folks to discuss this series, if anyone else is as into it as I am.
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Anyone else as excited as I am to start season two of Jessica Jones?

I was introduced to the character about twenty years ago, via comic books. I've never been much of a comic book person, but I really enjoyed the Alias series.

I like the Jessica Jones series quite well. In my opinion, it's the best executed of the Marvel/Netflix series. Her character is snarky and flawed, her powers rather... ambiguous, but there's a reality there which I enjoy - well, as far as a superhero series can go.

In my opinion, what makes or breaks these Marvel shows is the antagonists. I like Luke Cage as a character, and I loved the first half of his series. When they switched "big bads" halfway through, I really thought the series took a precipitous downturn. Daredevil season one was great with Kingpin. Punisher is a fun series, but lacks a strong bad guy.

Killgrave was a fantastic villain. He was strong but not impervious. His motivations are selfish and cruel. There's a shred of sympathy for him at moments when you see what he endured to become what he is, but that sympathy is quickly wiped away by his evil actions of retribution. His complete lack of remorse makes him truly hateable. Let's face it - he's the Tar Heel of villains.

Anyways, all this to say - while trying to remain spoiled free for anyone who hasn't seen any of these shows (but really, what are you waiting for at this point?) I assume that he will not be back in this season, and I hope that they can find/create a worthwhile villain for Jessica Jones to go toe to toe with.

It may be a bit before I dig deep into this series, given that we are launching into the heart of basketball season. Just wanted a place for folks to discuss this series, if anyone else is as into it as I am.
    I'm on board with anything Krysten Ritter is involved in.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I'm on board with anything Krysten Ritter is involved in.
    Yea I'd pretty much watch her read the phone book. I'm a huge JJ fan, though, loved Alias and her current series. I haven't had a chance to watch S2 yet but it'll definitely be interesting to see where they go with Purple Man off the table.

JJ

Two things, first I really liked the first season of Jessica Jones. Second, you can't be comin' on here and getting me all excited for season two JJ without posting a release date!! Now I have to go log onto Netflix and see when I'll be binge watching!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Two things, first I really liked the first season of Jessica Jones. Second, you can't be comin' on here and getting me all excited for season two JJ without posting a release date!! Now I have to go log onto Netflix and see when I'll be binge watching!
    Uh. It's already out?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Release date: yesterday! That's always the best news.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    Uh. It's already out?
    Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Release date: yesterday! That's always the best news.
    Great, thanks for the good news. I have a feeling that after I get done celebrating tonight I'll be wide awake and might need something to watch before I pass out :-)

Or something to help with the depression after that clunker.
    Sigh.

Thanks for putting up this thread as I had seen the trailer late last week and had forgotten all about it, but then I had bigger things on my mind these past few days. Since we are now out, I've got several hours of spare time to binge on this show.

A great protagonist is always a must on these shows. Arvin Sloane was great for Alias and you're completely right about the second half fade once Luke Cage made the switch from Cottonmouth to Diamondback. And all of this helps me understand why I view Iron Fist with such disdain. Who is the protagonist for that show?

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Thanks for putting up this thread as I had seen the trailer late last week and had forgotten all about it, but then I had bigger things on my mind these past few days. Since we are now out, I've got several hours of spare time to binge on this show.

A great protagonist is always a must on these shows. Arvin Sloane was great for Alias and you're completely right about the second half fade once Luke Cage made the switch from Cottonmouth to Diamondback. And all of this helps me understand why I view Iron Fist with such disdain. Who is the protagonist for that show?
    I think you’re confusing protagonist with antagonist. Unless you’re one of those folks who like to see the show from the villian’s perspective, in which case, more power to ya.

I didn't think anything could be worse than Iron Fist, but Jessica Jones Season 2 is a strong contender for worst Marvel Netflix series.

I was very pleased with The Defenders and The Punisher, but this series is as bad as the Inhumans and that's saying a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I didn't think anything could be worse than Iron Fist, but Jessica Jones Season 2 is a strong contender for worst Marvel Netflix series.

I was very pleased with The Defenders and The Punisher, but this series is as bad as the Inhumans and that's saying a lot.
    I am three episodes in, and I am not impressed yet. True to form, these series are as good as their antagonists, and I am about 25% through without a villain being established thus far.